The Student Room Group

Chemistry and Biology AS Levels - do you have to do the practical?

If I were to do Chemistry and Biology but only to AS level then would I have to do the practicals? As I understand it to get the evidence of practicals separate qualification thing then you would have to do the whole A-Level, so can I avoid that by doing just AS? As a private candidate, this is. Basically what I'm asking is when you get your AS result does this include a practical qualification or is that not until A2? If this makes no sense tell me haha!
Original post by medblrintraining
If I were to do Chemistry and Biology but only to AS level then would I have to do the practicals? As I understand it to get the evidence of practicals separate qualification thing then you would have to do the whole A-Level, so can I avoid that by doing just AS? As a private candidate, this is. Basically what I'm asking is when you get your AS result does this include a practical qualification or is that not until A2? If this makes no sense tell me haha!

'Practical skills are a crucial part of science education and the University of Sheffield will expect students to pass the practical element of any science A Level taken. Where applicants are applying for science and related degrees, this is likely to be made explicit in the offers they will receive.'

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/policies/reform

This is the same for everywhere else, you have to take the practicals and pass them.
Original post by Glassapple
'Practical skills are a crucial part of science education and the University of Sheffield will expect students to pass the practical element of any science A Level taken. Where applicants are applying for science and related degrees, this is likely to be made explicit in the offers they will receive.'

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/policies/reform

This is the same for everywhere else, you have to take the practicals and pass them.

Thank you for your reply! But if I'm not intending to take either to A2 level then would I still have to? I understand its a part of the whole A Level but you don't do all the practical stuff in year one right?

Quick Reply

Latest