The Student Room Group

Is a Abc certificate of achievement any good??

Hi, I was about to sign up for a study at home beauty course through open study college. The course is £779 so quite expensive and I've read that you get an abc certificate of achievement award at the end of it, I've never heard of this award so just wondering if it's a decent qualification as I don't want to waste my time and money? Will it get me a job as a qualified beautician?? Or does anyone know of any other study at home beauty courses that offer a better qualification?? Thank you :smile:
Original post by Dfproctor
Hi, I was about to sign up for a study at home beauty course through open study college. The course is £779 so quite expensive and I've read that you get an abc certificate of achievement award at the end of it, I've never heard of this award so just wondering if it's a decent qualification as I don't want to waste my time and money? Will it get me a job as a qualified beautician?? Or does anyone know of any other study at home beauty courses that offer a better qualification?? Thank you :smile:

The ABC award website says "The course you are studying is not regulated by Ofqual, the regulator for qualifications in England. The course you are studying has, however, been recognised as high-quality and meets the standards we set as part of our Quality Licence Scheme." http://www.abcawards.co.uk/employers/quality-licence-scheme/qls-learner-faqs/
So i would think that it really wouldn't be your best option to become a properly qualified beautician so doesn't seem like decent value for money. It's not something I know a lot about but i would think for something practical that studying at college or doing an apprenticeship would be the appropriate route to be properly qualified.
Original post by Dfproctor

Find out who the regulating body are.
Find out what employers want.
You are best going for nationally recognised and respected qualifications. Local colleges will normally do legitimate courses like NVQ or City and Guilds.

You are doing the right thing by researching.

1. Entry requirements

To become a fully qualified beauty therapist, you’ll usually need to complete a level 2 or level 3 qualification in beauty therapy.

You could start as an assistant in a salon or spa and study for qualifications on the job, or do a full-time or part-time college course while looking for work.

You could also train with a private beauty school.

The Hairdressing and Beauty Industry Authority (HABIA) has more information about careers in beauty therapy.

You could get into this job through an apprenticeship.
You may find it useful to get professional recognition by joining a register like the Register of Beauty Professionals.

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/job-profiles/beauty-therapist
Reply 3
Ok thank you both so much for your replies, been very helpful! Thanks again :smile:
so then is it genuine ? did you go for the course ?
Reply 5
Hi. Im interested in same thing. I currently studing Beauty therapy part time at college. Its level 2 Diploma but im interested in higher level. I studying at Bedford college and course cost about £2000. If you want my opinion i think you should complete proper beauty course at college and after you can build up levels b. Basics is must on this industry. My course is 1 year long and i have to attend college twice a week. If you young or on benefits you can claim bursary from college bust my advice is go for proper ones first. Believe me its not so easy. If you found some other info, please let me know as i am interested how recodnised is this learning facility Diploma. Best regards

Hi I jist starded theoritical based yoga teacher course with them (open study collede) since it cost just £350. I read 1000s of books about it so think to get certificate for reading and interpreting another couple would be nice. I was just wondering about the same thing ie if that will be hard to find a centre which will allow me to provide any sort of groups after completition. I am planning to do ryt200 after but can't afford it now. I know they are totally 2 different qualification but on the other hand RYT isn't regulated by Ofqual too and it is nationally recognised. Only British wheel of Yoga has got some sort of requlations with ofqual but they still dont run the courses by themselves and not all qualifications they got listed on they website are BWYQ regulated. Think it would be nice to mention about it since I spent hours on searching for courses, qualification and regulations on them by myself. I know rep is recognised gym qualification in uk but comparing it, rep30 (only 30 hours preparation to practical assessment) with same theoritical content costs about £850 cheapes. Think £350 is a huge deal even if it's just theory based... Any opinions in wellbeing and fitness on ABC and centra awards? Particularly in yoga teaching course, is this certificate is worth much at all?
Reply 7
it is recognised by ofqual Known as: SEG Awards known as 'abc awards'Website: http://www.abcawards.co.uk/Recognition Number: RN5112Ofqual status: RecognisedCCEA status: Recognised

Quick Reply

Latest