Helpuswithschool
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Is business a hard subject to achieve a high grade (For Alevels) at the end of year 13 if I never did a GCSE in business?
Imstudying...
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am in the same position as u. Never done business gcse, but gonna take a level. I am going through business gcse right now.
n.hajihfed
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What a weird coincidence I clicked this! Business A level in my opinion is extremely difficult. I just finished Y13, achieved A*AAC. I missed my firm choice by two grades, but luckily they accepted me! You can guess, the C was in business. I really struggled especially since I didn't do it at GCSE and some of my peers did the subject at GCSE level. The thing hardest about business is probably the formulas. I did the new AQA spec and there's about 44 formulas - no formula sheet in the exam, so literally, I'd have to attempt to memorise it all incase any one came up! On top of it being heavily financial, essay writing was a a struggle. I did three other written subjects which I was really good at, but somehow for business, I was achieving U's and E's in all my mocks, WEEKS before my final A2 exams. It was really hard to grasp essay writing, formulas and just a solid understanding of all the functional areas. There are so many units - marketing, HR, operations, finance, mission, aims and objectives in AS, and in A2 it gets even harder with a heavy focus on business strategy, ethics and a ton of theories. Revising was also MISSION IMPOSSIBLE as with the new A level AS and A2 is basically combined. So in the exams, which are three 2 hour exams, you literally have to learn EVERYTHING as the exams are not specific to a topic. It is generic and assess ALL content from all areas, so you could imagine how difficult that is.Long story short. Business A level was probably the worst decision of my life (not trying to sound so dramatic) BUT I had an amazing teacher who did EVERYTHING to support me. I was extremely negative about the subject as well because of how much I struggled despite trying my best. It was extremely depressing. If you are good at maths and have good analytical skills then maybe you could push through and get a good grade with extremely hard work.I fell under the trap of assuming that A level Business was a 'soft' subject - in truth, it is not. It was my hardest A level!! I can only offer my experience, but please do research and look at the specification of the exam board that you are looking at for Business A Level. Also, be realistic - you know your academic strengths and weaknesses. Choose your wisely otherwise you'll spend 2 years struggling and feeling completely hopeless.
kmnshah
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I never did gcse business but decided to do A level Business. I do AQA which starts from scratch as the first topic is called 'What is Business'. And AS Business is very easy to get your head around to. The main difficulty is the essay writing part and exam timing which is vital. So to conclude its not essential to have done gcse business if u want to do it at a level as the topics taught don't require you to understand stuff from gcse.

Posted from TSR Mobile
fxlloutboyy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I do AQA A Level business and did do the GCSE however you definitely don't need background knowledge. It's my easiest subjects, and I started two months later (so November not September). It just involves essay writing, it's easier in exams than in class.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Helpuswithschool
Rep:
?
Thank you so much. you have given us such a good insight on the subject. Me and my friend were considering dropping Drama A Level for business because we just scraped through GCSE Drama. We still dont know what to do as we thought business would give us high UCAS points!

(Original post by n.hajihfed)
What a weird coincidence I clicked this! Business A level in my opinion is extremely difficult. I just finished Y13, achieved A*AAC. I missed my firm choice by two grades, but luckily they accepted me! You can guess, the C was in business. I really struggled especially since I didn't do it at GCSE and some of my peers did the subject at GCSE level. The thing hardest about business is probably the formulas. I did the new AQA spec and there's about 44 formulas - no formula sheet in the exam, so literally, I'd have to attempt to memorise it all incase any one came up! On top of it being heavily financial, essay writing was a a struggle. I did three other written subjects which I was really good at, but somehow for business, I was achieving U's and E's in all my mocks, WEEKS before my final A2 exams. It was really hard to grasp essay writing, formulas and just a solid understanding of all the functional areas. There are so many units - marketing, HR, operations, finance, mission, aims and objectives in AS, and in A2 it gets even harder with a heavy focus on business strategy, ethics and a ton of theories. Revising was also MISSION IMPOSSIBLE as with the new A level AS and A2 is basically combined. So in the exams, which are three 2 hour exams, you literally have to learn EVERYTHING as the exams are not specific to a topic. It is generic and assess ALL content from all areas, so you could imagine how difficult that is.Long story short. Business A level was probably the worst decision of my life (not trying to sound so dramatic) BUT I had an amazing teacher who did EVERYTHING to support me. I was extremely negative about the subject as well because of how much I struggled despite trying my best. It was extremely depressing. If you are good at maths and have good analytical skills then maybe you could push through and get a good grade with extremely hard work.I fell under the trap of assuming that A level Business was a 'soft' subject - in truth, it is not. It was my hardest A level!! I can only offer my experience, but please do research and look at the specification of the exam board that you are looking at for Business A Level. Also, be realistic - you know your academic strengths and weaknesses. Choose your wisely otherwise you'll spend 2 years struggling and feeling completely hopeless.
Helpuswithschool
Rep:
?
We still dont know if we should drop drama for business!

(Original post by Janej77)
I am in the same position as u. Never done business gcse, but gonna take a level. I am going through business gcse right now.
Helpuswithschool
Rep:
?
I am not sure if i should drop drama for business as i barely scraped drama GCSE

(Original post by kmnshah)
I never did gcse business but decided to do A level Business. I do AQA which starts from scratch as the first topic is called 'What is Business'. And AS Business is very easy to get your head around to. The main difficulty is the essay writing part and exam timing which is vital. So to conclude its not essential to have done gcse business if u want to do it at a level as the topics taught don't require you to understand stuff from gcse.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Helpuswithschool
Rep:
?
Would you reccomend us to do business because we want high UCAS points

(Original post by fxlloutboyy)
I do AQA A Level business and did do the GCSE however you definitely don't need background knowledge. It's my easiest subjects, and I started two months later (so November not September). It just involves essay writing, it's easier in exams than in class.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Imstudying...
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Helpuswithschool)
We still dont know if we should drop drama for business!
I think u should take the one that interests u more. A levels are not easy and those two might be equal in difficulty, in this case, might be better one the on that interests u more which u will be more willing to revise. Business might bore u.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (63)
37.06%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (18)
10.59%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (10)
5.88%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (40)
23.53%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (24)
14.12%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (15)
8.82%

Watched Threads