Wanting to be a lawyer, but have a criminal record Watch

alecpitman98
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm hoping to apply here to study law after I finish my A Levels (English Lit, Maths, Geog)

However, at age 18, I was :
Convicted of Dangerous Driving and given 200hours Community Service in a Crown Court
Recieved a fine for Assault by beating at a Magistrates Court

In both instances I pleaded guilty. However I am unsure how this will effect me when it comes to studying Law. I read that certain convictions apply more than others, such as Freud and Theft. Or is this false and will my criminal record now prevent me for ever becoming a lawyer? Trying to find out now because I dont want to study Law for 4 years only to find out I can never practice Law.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by alecpitman98)
I'm hoping to apply here to study law after I finish my A Levels (English Lit, Maths, Geog)

However, at age 18, I was :
Convicted of Dangerous Driving and given 200hours Community Service in a Crown Court
Recieved a fine for Assault by beating at a Magistrates Court

In both instances I pleaded guilty. However I am unsure how this will effect me when it comes to studying Law. I read that certain convictions apply more than others, such as Freud and Theft. Or is this false and will my criminal record now prevent me for ever becoming a lawyer? Trying to find out now because I dont want to study Law for 4 years only to find out I can never practice Law.
Dangerous driving wouldn't be too bad, but the assault (as it's a violent crime) would definitely hinder your future prospects.
alecpitman98
Rep:
?
(Original post by IWMTom)
Dangerous driving wouldn't be too bad, but the assault (as it's a violent crime) would definitely hinder your future prospects.
Woud they be interested in context? or would they just imediatly dismiss me, because it was clear a fight was going to happen i just happened to throw the first punch and so I was held responsible, but neither of us was injured and both exchanged punches
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Woud they be interested in context? or would they just imediatly dismiss me, because it was clear a fight was going to happen i just happened to throw the first punch and so I was held responsible, but neither of us was injured and both exchanged punches
They'd certainly look into it, but considering you threw the first punch, it doesn't put you in a good position.
alecpitman98
Rep:
?
(Original post by IWMTom)
They'd certainly look into it, but considering you threw the first punch, it doesn't put you in a good position.
Does this prevent me from getting into Leeds to study law? or will this only become an issue when i want to practice law
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Does this prevent me from getting into Leeds to study law? or will this only become an issue when i want to practice law
You may be asked to disclose it - this is one to ask Leeds I'm afraid.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
With two criminal offences, it's unlikely SRA will accept you.

You can pay SRA £100 to do an early suitability test to see if they will accept you.

Only an issue when it comes to practice.
YaliaV
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've heard of people who have been allowed to practice having committed worse crimes. I think it's probably assessed on a case by case basis though. I don't think it will affect your chances of studying Law, but you should ask Leeds anyway
alecpitman98
Rep:
?
Thanks, I'll call Leeds and my solicitors who helped me on both cases and get an idea of how this will affect my future in the Law area
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
Thanks, I'll call Leeds and my solicitors who helped me on both cases and get an idea of how this will affect my future in the Law area
As pointed out you have an issue because:

You have two offences.
They are recent.
One is violence.

It calls into question your character and suitability to join the profession.

I dont think your solicitors can help youor not unless you pay them a lot of money.
You will get an opportunity to put your side and you just have to prepare well and address their concerns. Not impossible but it would be very difficult. You need to put some thought into how you plead your case.
alecpitman98
Rep:
?
I've just found out in the dangerous driving case it was mentioned I had intentions of becoming a lawyer, and so he said nothing will be put on my record. So now the only thing I need to worry about is the fine for assault
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've just found out in the dangerous driving case it was mentioned I had intentions of becoming a lawyer, and so he said nothing will be put on my record. So now the only thing I need to worry about is the fine for assault
The form you complete for SRA does not ask what's on your record. It asks if you've committed criminal offences and it is on you to disclose that. If you do not and they find out, your application will definitely be void for dishonesty.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
But it is on your record... convictions don't just not get applied to your criminal record..
alecpitman98
Rep:
?
The judge said in the courtroom that this will not appear on my record because he didn't want it to prevent me fork Persuing a law career
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The judge said in the courtroom that this will not appear on my record because he didn't want it to prevent me fork Persuing a law career
That's not how a conviction works though.. it could very well be spent under the ROA, but solicitors are exempt from its provisions.
Alive97
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The university will do an interview and find out more about your declared convictions. Most universities realise that people do stupid things in their childhood so they'll listen to you and check that it was just a one time thing. If they're happy with the interview they'll allow you to study,
alecpitman98
Rep:
?
Yeah I wasn't too sure this is just what my parents who were in the room told me he had said, I'll just pay and get a copy of my record and see for myself
999tigger
Report 2 years ago
So if you dont have a record then what were you found guilty of and what did you get 200 hours for? Its certainly more than a £50 fine. You will be asked to disclose and it will all show up in any event during your DBS check. Your power of analysis and judgement is questionable. You should listen to what Notorious is telling you and read the link he provided.

You really need to have a serious think or take advice on how to present your case, because am not sure you understand what you have to do or ways to effectively present it.

Check what your record says first. Were you convicted or were you not?
999tigger
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Alive97)
The university will do an interview and find out more about your declared convictions. Most universities realise that people do stupid things in their childhood so they'll listen to you and check that it was just a one time thing. If they're happy with the interview they'll allow you to study,
Getting on a law degree is not the issue. This is to do with being admitted to the legal profession.
Garside1994
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I want become a lawyer but got 4 court changes for criminal damage and assault by battery but was my step father who had sexual abuse me as child but was going through mental illness at time would them changes stop me becoming a lawyer or barrister
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (440)
67.28%
No (214)
32.72%

Watched Threads