The Student Room Group

I can't revise, please help

I don't know why but I can't revise. For example, when I have a revision book right in front of my face and I'm forcing myself to not do anything else other than read it, I will much rather just sit there and do nothing than actually read it. I usually just hope that sitting there while holding a revision book will count as revision but, of course, it doesn't. I basically just pretend to revise and think that it has worked. Even when I actually do read, quite often I just end up ignoring everything that the book is saying. It feels as if I have to put a huge amount of effort on actually properly revising.

However, sometimes, I am able to revise but it's usually for a very short amount of time. I find watching revision videos the easiest to do but there are not revision videos for everything so I don't know how I'm going to revise for everything that doesn't have revision videos.

I have been able to survive without revision so far but I'm going into year 11 so I'm going to need to revise. I think that, if I could properly revise, I may be able to get 9s in a lot of subjects.

How can I revise?
Original post by Siliac
I don't know why but I can't revise. For example, when I have a revision book right in front of my face and I'm forcing myself to not do anything else other than read it, I will much rather just sit there and do nothing than actually read it. I usually just hope that sitting there while holding a revision book will count as revision but, of course, it doesn't. I basically just pretend to revise and think that it has worked. Even when I actually do read, quite often I just end up ignoring everything that the book is saying. It feels as if I have to put a huge amount of effort on actually properly revising.

However, sometimes, I am able to revise but it's usually for a very short amount of time. I find watching revision videos the easiest to do but there are not revision videos for everything so I don't know how I'm going to revise for everything that doesn't have revision videos.

I have been able to survive without revision so far but I'm going into year 11 so I'm going to need to revise. I think that, if I could properly revise, I may be able to get 9s in a lot of subjects.

How can I revise?

Hi there!
I know how you feel, I have been there too. Revision is horrible, but it needs to be done. So you're not able to focus, do you find revision boring? If you do, you could try listening to some study music, if you search that on youtube, there are some good pieces of music, that really help you concentrate and focus. I remember searching for some during my A levels, I'm now in uni, and don't know what I'd do without it.

What you could also do is rather than reading through the notes, you could interact with them more. This could be highlighting or even taking smaller notes. I found that interacting keeps your mind active and reduces boredom. A good tip would be to also take regular breaks, this will reduce tiredness and gives you time to process the information.

I know how you feel, revision is annoying, but when you get good grades, it will be worth it!
Good luck :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm in a similar situation
Original post by Siliac

How can I revise?
Reading is the most ineffective method of revision. The best revision is active.
Original post by 04MR17
Reading is the most ineffective method of revision. The best revision is active.

Do you have any examples of active revision??? What do you mean by that?
Original post by person247
Do you have any examples of active revision??? What do you mean by that?
Note writing provides a physical imprint of memory into what you're writing about. Just reading it doesn't stimulate the brain as much.

That is just one example.

My own methods mainly consisted of marking my own work. Rather than just reading back over mock exams, I scribbled IDIOT over those stupid maths mistakes, so that I would remember not to make that mistake again.

Here is a long list of A Level revision advice. A lot of these will be relevant to GCSEs too.:yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending