The Student Room Group

How to take A Level Maths privately?

Hi!

I have been considering taking A Level Maths as a private candidate, purely because I didn't meet the entry requirements to study it at a sixth form.

I have 3 other A levels I will be taking (Physics, Psychology and Geography) as a normal sixth form candidate, however they wouldn't let me take Maths (which I need for my career aspiration as an engineer).

Should I take A Level Maths privately at the same time as my other A levels, or should I wait until these A Levels are finished and then start it?

Also, how would I get started in Maths, independent learning or going somewhere for teaching?

Original post by Haider_A
Hi!

I have been considering taking A Level Maths as a private candidate, purely because I didn't meet the entry requirements to study it at a sixth form.

I have 3 other A levels I will be taking (Physics, Psychology and Geography) as a normal sixth form candidate, however they wouldn't let me take Maths (which I need for my career aspiration as an engineer).

Should I take A Level Maths privately at the same time as my other A levels, or should I wait until these A Levels are finished and then start it?

Also, how would I get started in Maths, independent learning or going somewhere for teaching?

Engineeering is an extremely maths heavy degree, if you didn't get the required GCSE grade to study it at A-level, there's no way you'll cope with it at degree level. People who got A and A* grades at GCSE struggle with A-levels maths, it's time to start thinking about another career.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Glassapple
Engineeering is an extremely maths heavy degree, if you didn't get the required GCSE grade to study it at A-level, there's no way you'll cope with it at degree level. People who got A and A* grades at GCSE struggle with A-levels maths, It's time to start thinking about another career.

I was thinking that, however I did have a good pass in Maths but it was short of their entry requirements.

Do you have any tip/advice for taking maths privately?
Reply 4
Do lots of past papers. Also which exam board? Old spec or new spec? Have u sorted out an exam centre?

Also i think the best way is to work through the approved textbooks for your exam board and then do past papers etc
I was thinking that, however I did have a good pass in Maths but it was short of their entry requirements.

Do you have any tip/advice for taking maths privately?

I wouldn't let a not-so-good grade in maths put you off. As well as sitting A-level maths privately, have you also looked into apprenticeships?
Reply 6
Original post by Shaanv
Do lots of past papers. Also which exam board? Old spec or new spec? Have u sorted out an exam centre?

Also i think the best way is to work through the approved textbooks for your exam board and then do past papers etc

I have't considered any of that, but do I have a choice of which specification to take?

And do I teach myself at home and take the exam at a centre or can I be taught by someone at a centre and also take my exam there?
Reply 7
Original post by Smack
I wouldn't let a not-so-good grade in maths put you off. As well as sitting A-level maths privately, have you also looked into apprenticeships?

Yes!! I've considered taking the Rolls-Royce Engineering Apprenticeship after completing my A Levels or the Monarch Aeronautical Engineering Apprenticeship after A Levels.
Reply 8
I have't considered any of that, but do I have a choice of which specification to take?

And do I teach myself at home and take the exam at a centre or can I be taught by someone at a centre and also take my exam there?

Some centres may let u do the old spec, however u would have to do all the exams in one year, and u may be able to do some retakes the year after. Not too sure about this tho.

As to your second point, i dont have a clue. I would assume that u have to teach yourself at home but im not sure
Those of you wishing to study Engineering but dont have the gcse requirement please dont be put off. You may have revised the wrong way and not taken exams too seriously. Take this as a wake up call. Smash your a levels. I know people that got Bs at gcse maths, worked hard during their a levels and are now doing engineering courses at top universities. Don't listen to people saying time for career change because its not. People that say this are probably year 12s or year 11s and its a bit stupid how their inexperienced advice influences your life choices.
Nonsense, as an senior engineer who leads an engineer team, engineers have different strengths and working as a team is a big part of it, and as a young person you can learn and grow. Just because one exam went wrong doesn’t mean you lack the intellectual ability, or that it should shape your future. You learn with experience so don’t be put off by negativity like this and keep working hard to over come what went wrong in the exam. Company’s that look solely at grades miss out of brilliantly skilled people. Proper engineers teach, Inspire and lead.
I wanted to ask a few years late now. Did you eventually do it??
Reply 12
Original post by username2911200
Engineeering is an extremely maths heavy degree, if you didn't get the required GCSE grade to study it at A-level, there's no way you'll cope with it at degree level. People who got A and A* grades at GCSE struggle with A-levels maths, it's time to start thinking about another career.

Ur comment is not helpful people can learn maths by themselves they don't need teachers to get A grade in maths some one who does foundation in maths can learn Higher maths in a year and retake maths as higher and get a grade 9. You should understand that one exam does not determine someone's knowledge of a subject if they want to do become an engineer they can
Reply 13
Original post by HHJ11
Hi!

U should study maths and retake it to get a good grade then u can study it in sixth form

Latest