The Student Room Group

How can I learn to like seafood?

I HATE seafood but I want to like it.

I've tried a lot of different things so it's not a case of me saying I dislike it and refusing to even try new things. I see all these delicious looking recipes on tv and the internet with seafood but I know even the smell would make me puke.

I can't even manage cod in batter from the chippy and apparently that is very "unfishy". I tried making tilapia a few weeks ago and I had to spit it out it was so bad. I made shrimp for my partner recently and again trying those was a mistake too I almost threw up again. Fried calamari looks good but I couldn;t stomach that either and I love onion rings.

What can I start with?
(edited 6 years ago)
I would have suggested trying something like cod or plaice in batter as it is very "unfishy", but I see you've tried that already. The only other thing that I could think of would be to actually give one of the vegetarian fish alternatives a try. I know that sounds a bit strange, but if you tried something like the quorn fishless fingers or the linda mccartney scampi, it might help. They do have a bit of a fish taste, but it might help psychologically if you know that it's not real fish. Also the fishless fingers in particular have a very mild taste. It might be worth trying them and then giving actual fish fingers a go (put them in a sandwich or something so its not just the fish fingers on their own).
How are you with fishfingers? They might be a good starting point.

Also calamari doesn't really have a fishy aroma at all - so if you don't like that either it's probably a mental thing more than the smell, I'd imagine.

I think there's also a saying that you have to try something ten times to know if you really dislike it, so it could be a case of trying things a few more times to be sure.
Reply 3
Original post by AlesanaWill
I would have suggested trying something like cod or plaice in batter as it is very "unfishy", but I see you've tried that already. The only other thing that I could think of would be to actually give one of the vegetarian fish alternatives a try. I know that sounds a bit strange, but if you tried something like the quorn fishless fingers or the linda mccartney scampi, it might help. They do have a bit of a fish taste, but it might help psychologically if you know that it's not real fish. Also the fishless fingers in particular have a very mild taste. It might be worth trying them and then giving actual fish fingers a go (put them in a sandwich or something so its not just the fish fingers on their own).

I don't think I've ever tried plaice - is it less fishy than cod? I tried haddock in batter and can eat a little (as in I can sometimes swallow it!) but it's gross but better than pretty much any other seafood.

thank you for the idea of veggie fish. I don't know if it's a psychological thing, I don't think so but I'll try. Come to think of it though, I tried imitation crab before and it was disgusting so I don't know. :holmes:

Original post by lauralodge
How are you with fishfingers? They might be a good starting point.

Also calamari doesn't really have a fishy aroma at all - so if you don't like that either it's probably a mental thing more than the smell, I'd imagine.

I think there's also a saying that you have to try something ten times to know if you really dislike it, so it could be a case of trying things a few more times to be sure.

I don't think I've ever tried fish fingers....aren't they usually cod?

Calamari definitely smells fishy. My partner loves it so I make it for them sometimes and cutting it up makes me want to vomit. Just opening the packet the smell hits me right in the face :tongue: I've definitely tried seafood more than 10 times. But I see it on tv and on menus in restaurants and I want to expand what I can order. My partner's family is big on sushi and I'm sick of teriyaki chicken which is often the only thing they have I can stomach in the sushi restaurants we end up going to.
Original post by USRaphael
I don't think I've ever tried plaice - is it less fishy than cod? I tried haddock in batter and can eat a little (as in I can sometimes swallow it!) but it's gross but better than pretty much any other seafood.

thank you for the idea of veggie fish. I don't know if it's a psychological thing, I don't think so but I'll try. Come to think of it though, I tried imitation crab before and it was disgusting so I don't know. :holmes:

Plaice is probably similar to cod, but I think it's a bit cheaper. You might be okay with fish fingers as although they are cod (or sometimes plaice or haddock, it usually says on the packet) they are very mild tasting.

You could also give fishcakes a try as they are a mix of fish and potato. Sometimes they put quite "fishy" fish in them though.

Quick Reply

Latest