The Student Room Group

I just finished my A levels, AMA.

Ask me anything about A levels or revision etc, i'll be happy to help!

Scroll to see replies

Hi, what a levels did you take? :smile:
Reply 2
You’re a few months late to have ‘just’ finished
Reply 3
Original post by Zxyn
You’re a few months late to have ‘just’ finished

Yeah i know but i couldn't think of another way to phrase it quickly :biggrin: Plus this summer has been so long, i just need something to do and answering TSR posts is what i'm apparently doing now
Reply 4
Original post by lauren9401
Hi, what a levels did you take? :smile:

I did History, Psychology and Economics (and English Language at AS level)
But i had friends who did pretty much every other subject too :,)
So, what now? :biggrin:
Original post by megannie

The only thing I'm doing the same as you is history, what exam board were you? :smile:
Revision tips for history?
Reply 8
Original post by slowdive
So, what now? :biggrin:

For me? I'm off to uni to (try and) study law :biggrin: I've just seen loads of people asking questions about 6th form and A levels so i thought while i'm waiting to start my course i'd see if i could help people :smile:
Reply 9
How many hours did you revise each day?

Revision tips for economics? What grades did you get for all your a levels?
Reply 11
Original post by CinnamonSmol
Revision tips for history?

My exam board was AQA, but without being exam board specific my main advice is to learn quickly how to make effective notes (try and always do them by hand to increase retention) History at A level relies on you being able to retain a lot of information and being able to quickly recall it in an exam. I would also recommend writing practice essays from questions available via teachers, online or your textbooks, because you need to be able to write the essays in an extremely limited time span!
I also found making mind maps was amazingly helpful, from around March- June my walls were covered in mind maps about Henry VIII :biggrin:
My exam board was AQA, but without being exam board specific my main advice is to learn quickly how to make effective notes (try and always do them by hand to increase retention) History at A level relies on you being able to retain a lot of information and being able to quickly recall it in an exam. I would also recommend writing practice essays from questions available via teachers, online or your textbooks, because you need to be able to write the essays in an extremely limited time span!
I also found making mind maps was amazingly helpful, from around March- June my walls were covered in mind maps about Henry VIII :biggrin:

cheers, when was earliest you started revising notes during as level
Reply 13
Original post by MajorFader
Revision tips for economics? What grades did you get for all your a levels?

Overall i got ABB, i could have done a bit better but i know how hard i tried in the exams in the end :,)
Economics is a tough subject (OCR) because it requires you to write short answers of 6- 8 marks and then change to essays worth 15-24 marks.
My classmates and I binge watched EconplusDal on Youtube who does amazing tutorials on all A level econ basics. I also got hold of the few available past papers, went through them with my teachers, read through mark schemes and as a class we quizzed each other and had us all give lessons to the class about particular topics to help break up our stressful lessons towards the start of exams.
Reply 14
Original post by CinnamonSmol
cheers, when was earliest you started revising notes during as level

I started revising my AS notes around January, but only lightly, i then built up to more heavy revision which went on up to the exams. If i could re do it, i would make myself review my notes from the lessons i'd had that day/ week, so i wasn't trying to recall stuff i had learnt 6 months ago and force myself to re-learn it.
Reply 15
Original post by petes988
How many hours did you revise each day?

During yr 12 i spent up to Christmas purely focusing on my lessons and what i was learning then. After Xmas and towards Feb-March i began reviewing my work for an hour or so a day, then from March-April i began boosting it to 2-3 hrs as i began going over things multiple times. By May (and starting exam leave) i was revising around 5-6 hours a day. In year 13 i revised my yr 12 content while learning the yr 13 content, and after xmas of yr 13 i began focusing completely on my yr 13 content, working from doing a few hrs in February to perhaps 6 hrs in April.

Any advice for Psychology? I really want an A* and achieved an A in the AS "mock" (it wasn't a real AS).
Reply 17
Original post by romansholiday
Any advice for Psychology? I really want an A* and achieved an A in the AS "mock" (it wasn't a real AS).

Well done on your result! I did worse in psych than i would have liked but i will put that down to the fact i eventually hated the subject due to bad teaching.
There are so many core studies and approaches you'll need to learn and recall from yr 12, i made mind maps and stuck them all over my walls and went over them every night (tedious but it did make me learn the information). I also used past papers and the questions set by teachers to try and understand how to best structure my answers.
Hi, is someone more likely to do better in their A-level exams if they got higher grades at GCSE vs someone who got Average grades at GCSE or does it really depend on how much effort and work you put into those two years :smile:

What revision guides did you use for psychology?

Quick Reply

Latest