The Student Room Group
I've heard the first year of university is a breeze compared to access course.

I think like any course people will drop out, regardless of if they have done an access course or a levels. People drop out because of other reasons than being able to cope with the workload.

I don't know how people who have completed an access course wouldn't be able to cope with university workloads. The access is intense. Considering that at certain points on the access course they probably would of had 3+ assignments to be handed in within days of each other. You will definately learn time management and how to prioritise tasks if you do an access.
Original post by JerryA
I am just wondering about the people that have complete an access course and then go university, do they complete their degrees or do they drop out as i have heard people say access course doesnt teach them enough for them to cope with uni and end up dropping out of uni in the first year.

Whoever told you that needs to get their facts straight. Access courses are intense and hard to do - and many on Access courses have to juggle jobs, family and study in order to get through them and get entrance for uni.
And you are wrong also about being taught enough to cope. I did an access course to get into university and in my class there are many students who have done Access courses and all say the same thing - that being first and even second year at uni was much easier than the intensity of an Access course.
I know someone who did an access course and got into uni. She's now just finished a masters.
I haven't started uni yet so I cant say, but ive just completed an access course and it was intense! You study in 3 different subjects, so I did Human Physiology, Professional Healthcare Practice and Psychology, and each of those subjects is broken up into different units and modules. There were plenty of times that I had 3 assignments all due in on the same day or within a few days of each other, as well as exams to study for.
Also, the access course is for people who have been out of education for 3+ years and are considered mature students. Most on the course will also have jobs to juggle and some even have kids to raise and homes to run. If they can manage all that and get through the course with good enough marks to get them onto a university course id have thought that would show they were well prepared for uni.

As I say, ive only experienced the Access so far and don't start uni til September, but I've been told by student nurses currently in their 1st/2nd year at uni that they are finding it easier than the Access course.
how odd so all the access students drop out. must be a reason unis like access students. could it be that the have matured learnt what they want to be and have worked hard to meet the requirements. lets compare them to a direct entry a level student. who has been trained to pass tests. i know which i prefer. nursing requires determination and level headedness. i suspect our access students have more job experience and know what they are facing work and education wise. we should be offering more routes to meet the entry requirements. how many a level students fail when they meet the real nature of nursing. seriously when did nursing require staight a grades at a level. its dumb and misses a lot of great nurses. unis have a lot to be blamed for. some of the best nurses ive worked with where SEN nurses they had a very basic entry requirement but where better than some of the rgns of there time.
Original post by paulbarlow
how odd so all the access students drop out. must be a reason unis like access students. could it be that the have matured learnt what they want to be and have worked hard to meet the requirements. lets compare them to a direct entry a level student. who has been trained to pass tests. i know which i prefer. nursing requires determination and level headedness. i suspect our access students have more job experience and know what they are facing work and education wise. we should be offering more routes to meet the entry requirements. how many a level students fail when they meet the real nature of nursing. seriously when did nursing require staight a grades at a level. its dumb and misses a lot of great nurses. unis have a lot to be blamed for. some of the best nurses ive worked with where SEN nurses they had a very basic entry requirement but where better than some of the rgns of there time.

Are you a nurse Paul?
i am for a very long time.
I've known a few people take Access Courses and succeed. One person I know did Adult Nursing after going in with her Access but unfortunately dropped out in her 3rd year for personal reasons. The course is sufficiently intense and as it's mature students they'll have a world view on things, for the most part.
(edited 6 years ago)
I finished my Access course in 2017, took one year out after it, I'm now starting health physiology leading to cardiac physiology in September 2019 ( got unconditional offer), access is very intense course I done biology, chemistry,physics I hope it has prepared me for university life,or I'm snookerd lol I'm 38 mature student
Reply 10
why are access courses harder than the actual degree's? wtf....

Latest

Trending

Trending