The Student Room Group

Computer science or eee?

Hey I'm struggling to decide between doing a degree in computer science or in electronic and electrical engineering. I wish to pursue a job in either networking or cyber security and I am doing a levels in computer science, mathematics, physics, and I'm doing the extended project qualification. I apply this year..
You could try for a combination of Computer Science and EEE such as Electronics and Information Engineering, or Electronics and Artificial Engineering etc.
E.g. http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/programmes/meng-electronic-engineering-artificial-intelligence#_ga=2.251517888.753676443.1504437275-1576228324.1504437275
Original post by Xandér
Hey I'm struggling to decide between doing a degree in computer science or in electronic and electrical engineering. I wish to pursue a job in either networking or cyber security and I am doing a levels in computer science, mathematics, physics, and I'm doing the extended project qualification. I apply this year..

Hello. I have a Masters in Cyber Security and most of our modules were more in the area of EEE, rather than CS. In fact most of our lecturers were either from a EEE background or a Physics background.

So the first thing to say is Cyber Security is a pretty broad area. What particular area are you interested in? Software Security? Web Security? Crypto? Network Security? Hardware Security? Biometrics? Information Security? Computer Forensics??

Cyber Security jobs generally require little in the way of fully fledged software application development. At best, you will be writing relatively small scripts to say, automate the security testing of software, check for memory leaks or configure a secure SDN.

I would say that networking is undergoing a real paradigm shift at the moment. Traditional networks are changing due to the IoT paradigm and Cloud computing. It's an interesting area to get in to, but we aware that it's an area that's currently developing a lot of automation. This might mean we need less network engineers in the future. We will still need good network engineers to configure SDNs and figure out how the hell we are suppose to secure things in the IoT network paradigm (a very interesting area with lots of possibilities BTW).

If I had the mind for it and know what I know now, I would've done my undergrad in EEE rather than CS before doing my masters in Cyber Security. I would also point out that CS is a subset of EEE, and that it's much easier for an EEE grad to move in to CS than it is for a CS grad to get in to EEE.

The only caveat I will add is if you enjoy doing CS more than EEE, then CS might be a better fit for you.
Reply 3
Original post by jestersnow
Hello. I have a Masters in Cyber Security and most of our modules were more in the area of EEE, rather than CS. In fact most of our lecturers were either from a EEE background or a Physics background.

So the first thing to say is Cyber Security is a pretty broad area. What particular area are you interested in? Software Security? Web Security? Crypto? Network Security? Hardware Security? Biometrics? Information Security? Computer Forensics??

Cyber Security jobs generally require little in the way of fully fledged software application development. At best, you will be writing relatively small scripts to say, automate the security testing of software, check for memory leaks or configure a secure SDN.

I would say that networking is undergoing a real paradigm shift at the moment. Traditional networks are changing due to the IoT paradigm and Cloud computing. It's an interesting area to get in to, but we aware that it's an area that's currently developing a lot of automation. This might mean we need less network engineers in the future. We will still need good network engineers to configure SDNs and figure out how the hell we are suppose to secure things in the IoT network paradigm (a very interesting area with lots of possibilities BTW).

If I had the mind for it and know what I know now, I would've done my undergrad in EEE rather than CS before doing my masters in Cyber Security. I would also point out that CS is a subset of EEE, and that it's much easier for an EEE grad to move in to CS than it is for a CS grad to get in to EEE.

The only caveat I will add is if you enjoy doing CS more than EEE, then CS might be a better fit for you.

Hey, thanks for replying, I am personally more interested in network security and hardware security at this point. I take it that I'd be better off taking EEE than CS with in general then as I could always make the transition from EEE to CS?
Original post by Xandér
Hey, thanks for replying, I am personally more interested in network security and hardware security at this point. I take it that I'd be better off taking EEE than CS with in general then as I could always make the transition from EEE to CS?

I would say so yes. EEE is much better for Network and Hardware security, no question. I would also point out there are a ton of "Conversion" CS masters at some really good unis so if you want to pick it up later on you will have a lot of choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending