The Student Room Group

MezmorisedPotato's Journey to A*A*A

:biggrin:GYG 2017/2018 Entry- Journey to Medicine

Welcome to my GYG thread. I am going to be using this thread as a way to track my progress through my second year- during which I do my final A-Level exams. I had a GYG thread originally for this purpose but due to my workload, it became neglected and I very rarely posted on there. My GCSE GYG was a huge success however which is something I want to continue on this new blog. I promise I will try to update once a week once my sixth form starts which is the 11th September. :tongue:

Background Information:

A levels I am carrying onto second year and predicted grade(could change):

AQA Biology- A*
AQA Chemistry- A
AQA Maths-A*

GCSE's:

Spoiler

Completed AS Levels (Modular):

Spoiler

Others:

Spoiler

Once college starts, I will update this thread weekly with my progress on UKCAT, BMAT, PS, UCAS and A level progress. I look forward to working hard to achieving the grades of A*A*A* that I aspire for. I assume there will be lots of caffeine and late night work but hopefully I pull through and reach the final goal of studying medicine! :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Best of luck with your journey!
Reply 2
Best of luck! I did maths and chemistry (along with further maths and physics) this year and achieved A*A*A*A so if you need any advice/tips/websites or anything relevant about the subjects let me know and I'll try to help! Which medical schools will you be applying to?
Reply 3
Good Luck! :smile:
Good luck! I hope you get the grades you aspire for!:smile:
Original post by dxvid
Best of luck with your journey!

Thank You :smile:

Original post by F3rnw3h
Good Luck! :smile:

Thank You!

Original post by Lilsthebest
Good luck! I hope you get the grades you aspire for!:smile:

Thanks! I'll try my best

Original post by baznoy
Best of luck! I did maths and chemistry (along with further maths and physics) this year and achieved A*A*A*A so if you need any advice/tips/websites or anything relevant about the subjects let me know and I'll try to help! Which medical schools will you be applying to?

Thank You so much! I'll drop a message when I come across things I need help with :smile:
I'm planning to apply to
Liverpool
Manchester
Birmingham
Lancaster/UCL/Cambridge
Ultimately it depends on my UKCAT score. I'm doing the test on the 19th so I'll really consolidate choices from then.
Once again thank you for the offer, I'm sure It'll help me increase me chances of doing well this year! :biggrin:
04/09/17- Recap

UKCAT preparation: Verbal Reasoning and Abstract Reasoning timed tests ( my weakest sections ).

Organised AS Chemistry notes for revision for test first day back.

Organised AR patterns into a list and studied them so those patterns stay in my head.

05/09/17- Aims

Continued work on UKCAT AR and VR section under timed conditions

Revise content for chemistry: Bonding and Redox Chemistry

Do practise questions for these topics.

(edited 6 years ago)
05/09/17- Recap

Finished revision of redox chemistry and oxidation states + bonding topic

Completed many UKCAT questions for VR and AR: scores are becoming more and more consistent as I practise and learn patterns inside out

But, I didn't manage to do exam questions which brings me onto some change of plans:

Chemistry exam questions will be done on Sunday after learning all of my AS content for chemistry

Biology and Maths AS review will be done during next week commencing alongside new A2 work.

UKCAT will only be a week away after 19th so some priority will be given to UKCAT given I only get one chance and if I do well, I may only apply to one BMAT university.

Generally it's been a productive day, I need to remind myself to just practise and practise...
06/09/17- Aims

UKCAT Practise on VR, AR and DM in timed conditions

AS Chemistry revision: Chemical Equilibria

AS Chemistry revision: Kinetics

Do textbook practise questions on chemistry topics to consolidate revision

06/09/17- Recap

Practised set of AR, VR and DM timed questions: scores more consistent

Completed AS Chemistry Kinetics revision

Halfway through Chemical Equilibria

Completed practise textbook questions on kinetics

So generally pleased with the day, I will be focusing on Equilibria tomorrow to finish off revision and start new aims. Tune in tomorrow for those. :smile:
07/09/17- Recap

UKCAT timed test preparation: AR, VR and DM

UKCAT pattern revision: comprises of looking at old patterns to maintain familiarity.

AS Chemistry revision: 2nd half of equilibria

AS Chemistry: Concentrations in Kc

ooo
06/11/17- Recap

A- level Chemistry review of Organic chemistry

Past paper questions on optical isomerism, carboxylic acids and acyl chlorides

Practise on C3 topics such as trig differentiation and integration

Biology- 2 past papers completed, marked and annotated

Sorry for not updating regularly, I have been busy with applications and other commitments so I didn't have time to update this blog. :smile:
I'll try and update more regularly from now on.
06/11/17- Recap

Maths: Revised integration of trig functions, reverse chain rule and awkward functions- Synoptic score: 92% A*

More focus given to chemistry this week so far due to test on Friday on ALL of Organic chemistry

Revised AS Knowledge of introduction to organic chemistry

Revised AS Knowledge of Alkanes

Completed past paper practise questions on Intro and alkanes- 74/80- 93% A*

That's pretty much it. I'll update again tomorrow and make this much more regular :smile: :biggrin:
Hi Everyone!!!
Unfortunately I didn’t really update this thread well enough because I genuinely was busy and sorta overwhelmed with my work so felt like I shouldn’t be doing this. I kinda regret this now as I enjoyed the GCSE one and wish my update schedule transferred over when I started A levels.

Anyway to update everyone, I got A*AA in Maths, Biology and Chemistry and so confirmed my place to study Medicine at Birmingham. I’ve confirmed accomodation and will be moving in the next month.

Honestly it’s such a huge step to the next part of my journey and I can’t wait for the challenges ahead.

Thanks everyone!! :smile: :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending