The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Failed Second Year at Uni

Basically, I've failed my second year by 15 credits, it is really disappointing as I didn't know I had EC until I spoke to someone about it.
The uni has given me 14 days to appeal for it however they are not replying to any of my emails or when I try to call them up it goes straight to voicemail - I've checked the number to make sure its right as well.

Currently, the Uni is not responding to anything I've said to them at all. And I'm worried that I will have missed a deadline and they will dismiss my case.

I also did fail the resits but it was due to the same EC however, I had gotten 39.75% on the resit which was capped at 40% but they still refuse to let me progress on to my third year.

I have worked hard the whole year and have been getting an average of 60-70%. I'm feeling really frustrated at the moment as I've always had to work extra hard to work at something to be able to get somewhere but the uni isn't responding or even listening to me. I don't know what else to do...

I should probably mention that I study maths and stats.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks
Original post by Mathstix
Basically, I've failed my second year by 15 credits, it is really disappointing as I didn't know I had EC until I spoke to someone about it.
The uni has given me 14 days to appeal for it however they are not replying to any of my emails or when I try to call them up it goes straight to voicemail - I've checked the number to make sure its right as well.

Currently, the Uni is not responding to anything I've said to them at all. And I'm worried that I will have missed a deadline and they will dismiss my case.

I also did fail the resits but it was due to the same EC however, I had gotten 39.75% on the resit which was capped at 40% but they still refuse to let me progress on to my third year.

I have worked hard the whole year and have been getting an average of 60-70%. I'm feeling really frustrated at the moment as I've always had to work extra hard to work at something to be able to get somewhere but the uni isn't responding or even listening to me. I don't know what else to do...

Thanks

Contact your student union urgently. Phone other relevant numbers until you get hold of someone. Email/phone your personal tutor.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
Contact your student union urgently. Phone other relevant numbers until you get hold of someone. Email/phone your personal tutor.

That's what I have been doing. The student Union isn't picking up, and my advisor is away on holiday and will not be replying until the academic year starts.
That's what I have been doing. The student Union isn't picking up, and my advisor is away on holiday and will not be replying until the academic year starts.

What about the Maths department? There must be someone there. Other lecturers?
Reply 4
Original post by keepingcalm
Hello,

I am not sure if this will help because we go to different universities. I have a very similar situation to you but I failed first year.

When I got my results, it said that I would be having an examination board meeting to discuss my application and that I had to write a letter explaining why I failed that exam. I went down the university too, to talk to my lecturers before I had this meeting, just to talk to them about it all. Even though I did have EC too, they still thought it was best if I retake the academic year. It was upsetting but I suppose everything happens for the best!

Do you have an advice centre at your university? They helped me a lot and talked through all the options and through student finance with them

Sorry if this wasn't much help. Good luck with it all!

Thanks for the advice. I have tried unfortunately The people who do get in contact with me are unable to help and keep telling me to ask my advisor- I've explained he's not in the country and they've told me to wait even though there is a deadline but they don't seem to help much. I do want to go into uni however, I'm worried that if they are not picking up my calls or responding to my emails will they speak to me in person at all?
Reply 5
What about the Maths department? There must be someone there. Other lecturers?

Same outcome unfortunately
Same outcome unfortunately

Are you saying that absolutely no one in the Maths department is answering the phone? Not even the departmental administrative staff? Which uni?
Reply 7
Are you saying that absolutely no one in the Maths department is answering the phone? Not even the departmental administrative staff? Which uni?

The admin staff are answering but they aren't advising me to do anything other than talk to my advisor or the student union staff. Absolutely no one is answering in the student union.
The admin staff are answering but they aren't advising me to do anything other than talk to my advisor or the student union staff. Absolutely no one is answering in the student union.

When did they inform you about the 14-day deadline? Did they inform you how to lodge an appeal?
Reply 9
When did they inform you about the 14-day deadline? Did they inform you how to lodge an appeal?

The deadline was an automated email when I received my results. I checked the appeal process on the website, and I will have to talk to someone and see if I have a legitimate EC to be able to appeal in the first place, and they will have to send me the forms to fill out - I have 4 days left til the deadline to submit the forms but I don't have them.

I have started to look at other unis as back up as well :frown:
The deadline was an automated email when I received my results. I checked the appeal process on the website, and I will have to talk to someone and see if I have a legitimate EC to be able to appeal in the first place, and they will have to send me the forms to fill out - I have 4 days left til the deadline to submit the forms but I don't have them.

I have started to look at other unis as back up as well :frown:

Who has to send you the forms? Get a solicitor to write a letter threatening legal action if they won't provide them.

You won't be able to transfer into third year.
Reply 11
Who has to send you the forms? Get a solicitor to write a letter threatening legal action if they won't provide them.

I'm not sure, according to the website a member of staff after they've checked if it's a legitimate claim first and then forms will be sent to me.
Reply 12

I don't know any solicitors, but I will ask my parents.

Thanks

How near are you to your uni? If you turn up and keep asking to speak to someone it's much more difficult for them to refuse than if you call/email.
I'm not sure, according to the website a member of staff after they've checked if it's a legitimate claim first and then forms will be sent to me.

Then bloody well find out! You've had 10 days to do this. And your description sounds a little Catch 22 to me.

Also, you say you got 39.75% and needed 40%? Get a remark. If you make enough trouble they might miraculously find an extra 0.25% to save dealing with the aggravation.

You're posting in the QMUL forum, so I assume you're a student there.

The process appears to be documented here:
http://www.arcs.qmul.ac.uk/students/student-appeals/appeals/

It says "You are strongly advised to talk to your tutor or another member of staff in your department before submitting an appeal." -- but that's advice and not a requirement. So, don't let that stop you drafting the forms. There are links to the appeal forms at the URL I provided above.

If you need to fill out specific forms for ECs from your department, find them on the web, or ask your department to send them. Tell them that you will make a formal complaint if they don't. Get the name of the person you speak to. Also, ask them who you need to contact If your advisor is not contactable -- someone should be available to deputise. Ask to speak to the head of department.

There must be people around at the student union. Phone their main number, ask to speak to someone about this issue. There should be someone around even during the vacations who can help.

You should make a note of who you speak to and when. You need to take responsibility for chasing people down, but ultimately if the university are making things difficult, then you do have the option of submitting a formal complaint, particularly if their processes are getting in the way of your right to appeal.

But as I note above, you should be able to submit an appeal without consulting with your tutor. If you can't get hold of anyone willing to talk to you in his/her absence you could also note that in your appeal form. Whatever you do, make sure you meet the deadline for the appeal!
Typical for QMUL. Always problem with something. I have enough how they treat us as walking wallet rather than anything else. Whenever someone ask about my opinion I am always honest but....If you failed a year that's mean that you failed more than 2 modules during second year. If so, then your average is maximum 57% on second year (taking in account that on all other modules that you passed you had 70% and the three that you failed were 39% each, which is very unlikely). Now, 2nd year goes like 30% to your final degree. It will be quite hard to get back on 2:1 track during final year, hence isn't it better to repeat a year? Maybe some of your modules were not the one that you are strong at? If you will repeat a year only second attempt will go into your final degree. OK, I know that it is one year wasted, but what is one year in comparison to all your life? You need to think that 2:1 is a minimum that most of employers will ask you to get grad job no matter of your career choice.
What is an ec?
Original post by starry x
What is an ec?

"EC" is an abbreviation for "Extenuating circumstances" in this context.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending