The Student Room Group

need help with all my subjects to get an A*

as i was saying i am not in the smart world when it comes to subjects such as maths english and science and just wanted to ask what would be the best way to get those top grades please let me know as my exams are in may 2018
Reply 1
For maths and science I'd say to get the CGP guides and to watch youtube videos about certain topics. Once you've done that, try to answer as many questions as possible. I did pretty well for those at GCSE and I'm about to start my A2 biology, chemistry and art and design. Let me know if I can help at all. For English - honestly I just winged it at came out with a B for both literature and language. Language I was pretty good at and literature, look up talking points on your books online and read through them.
Completely agree with the person above for sciences. The CGP guides are excellent and past papers and mark schemes are the best thing to do over and over again, to learn what style of answer the examiner likes to see. There are some great science youtubers who can explain difficult concepts if you're struggling with the understanding.

Maths - do past papers!! They're the best thing in order to check your understanding. Make sure you really get everything that's taught in lessons, and if you don't understand something, get your teacher to explain it, or look on YouTube for videos to explain it to you. Also, make flashcards to remember the equations that you need to know.

English- use Mr Bruff videos to help you to make notes on your texts for literature. Do lots of practice questions to develop your writing style. English language kind of uses the same skills as Lit, but for the writing part a good thing to do is read a variety of texts in order to understand how to tailor your writing to its genre and purpose, and to broaden your vocabulary & knowledge of language features.

Hope this helps & best of luck :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by LEuphoria
Completely agree with the person above for sciences. The CGP guides are excellent and past papers and mark schemes are the best thing to do over and over again, to learn what style of answer the examiner likes to see. There are some great science youtubers who can explain difficult concepts if you're struggling with the understanding.

Maths - do past papers!! They're the best thing in order to check your understanding. Make sure you really get everything that's taught in lessons, and if you don't understand something, get your teacher to explain it, or look on YouTube for videos to explain it to you. Also, make flashcards to remember the equations that you need to know.

English- use Mr Bruff videos to help you to make notes on your texts for literature. Do lots of practice questions to develop your writing style. English language kind of uses the same skills as Lit, but for the writing part a good thing to do is read a variety of texts in order to understand how to tailor your writing to its genre and purpose, and to broaden your vocabulary & knowledge of language features.

Hope this helps & best of luck :smile:

thank you could you give me any resorces or attachments that i could use which helped you n achieve your top grade
Reply 4
Original post by fionn273
For maths and science I'd say to get the CGP guides and to watch youtube videos about certain topics. Once you've done that, try to answer as many questions as possible. I did pretty well for those at GCSE and I'm about to start my A2 biology, chemistry and art and design. Let me know if I can help at all. For English - honestly I just winged it at came out with a B for both literature and language. Language I was pretty good at and literature, look up talking points on your books online and read through them.

what books did you read in english and how is the best way to take down quotes from the plays and text such an an inspector calls and macbeth which is what my exams will be based on.
Reply 5
Original post by samika khan
what books did you read in english and how is the best way to take down quotes from the plays and text such an an inspector calls and macbeth which is what my exams will be based on.

I did Lord of the Flies and Of Mice and Men, I'd say go on google and look up themes for each book to talk about and points you can make. Listen in class, take loads of notes bc you'll thank yourself later and study with some friends and share notes. Then get your teacher to write an exam style question for you, try to answer it and then hand it back in to be marked.
Original post by samika khan
thank you could you give me any resorces or attachments that i could use which helped you n achieve your top grade

The only things I have left are some of my English notes.

What books/plays/poems are you doing?

Quick Reply

Latest