The Student Room Group

Art or music

Should i do art and music for gcse or would it be too much coursework? Thanks for help !
Original post by Kadu850
Should i do art and music for gcse or would it be too much coursework? Thanks for help !

If you truly enjoy both subjects and have looked into what you'd be doing and like the sound of it, why not? :smile:
Depending on your other GCSEs will denote whether or not you think it'd be too much of a handful with all the coursework. But I had friends at my school who did Textiles and Music and were fine!
I did music gcse, and I think that it's a good option as long as you are able to compose. If you struggle writing music then the coursework will be hard
Reply 3
Original post by Kadu850

If you can, I'd say stay away from both :grin:, unless you can hack the coursework, I can only speak for music and I wouldn't recommend even though I got an A in it because on top of the compositions and performances, I had to learn an additional 12 set works which was draining seeing as music at GCSE is an option so should require less work than the core subjects, I ended up putting the most time in for music than all my other subjects which resulted in some of my other GCSE's suffering :frown: .Even though I didn't do art, the people who I know that did art basically had no social life and put in so much work for a bad grade return as the grade boundaries are very high apparently, so if you are 100% sure you are capable of handling the coursework for these subjects in a professional and composed manner then good luck.
Don't bother, I did Art and DT: Graphics Products this year, and the amount of work I had together meant that I had to sacrifice one subject. While I still ended up with an A* in Graphics and an A in art, I know I could've have done much better in Art if I'd have done it by itself.
Reply 5
Original post by M.IC3
If you can, I'd say stay away from both :grin:, unless you can hack the coursework, I can only speak for music and I wouldn't recommend even though I got an A in it because on top of the compositions and performances, I had to learn an additional 12 set works which was draining seeing as music at GCSE is an option so should require less work than the core subjects, I ended up putting the most time in for music than all my other subjects which resulted in some of my other GCSE's suffering :frown: .Even though I didn't do art, the people who I know that did art basically had no social life and put in so much work for a bad grade return as the grade boundaries are very high apparently, so if you are 100% sure you are capable of handling the coursework for these subjects in a professional and composed manner then good luck.

Thank you ! I've decided to do music as i really enjoy it. They have updated alot of the GCSEs and taken away all the coursework and music still has its coursework thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
If you truly enjoy both subjects and have looked into what you'd be doing and like the sound of it, why not? :smile:
Depending on your other GCSEs will denote whether or not you think it'd be too much of a handful with all the coursework. But I had friends at my school who did Textiles and Music and were fine!

They have taken away all the coursework from my others (history, geography) and ive decoded to do just music so i think ill be grand thank you ! 😊
Reply 7
Original post by Afraprawn
I did music gcse, and I think that it's a good option as long as you are able to compose. If you struggle writing music then the coursework will be hard

Ive decided to music so hopefully i will be ok !
Reply 8
Original post by zq01
Don't bother, I did Art and DT: Graphics Products this year, and the amount of work I had together meant that I had to sacrifice one subject. While I still ended up with an A* in Graphics and an A in art, I know I could've have done much better in Art if I'd have done it by itself.

Ok thanks. Im just doing music as ive researched alot and both have alot of coursework so ill just stick with one !

Quick Reply

Latest