The Student Room Group

Alevel choices linked to uni

I have been thinking about taking English lit at uni, however am worried if my alevel choices will hinder this opportunity. I am taking art, English lit and psychology. Please help!
Original post by PhoebeThomp
I have been thinking about taking English lit at uni, however am worried if my alevel choices will hinder this opportunity. I am taking art, English lit and psychology. Please help!

https://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/what-a-levels-do-you-need-to-study-english

Look at the entrance requirements at the chosen uni for the degree you wish to apply for. The one thats most problematic is how they view Art. Its not academic and it might be on their list of non preferred subjects. the higher up the elite chain you go then the fussier they can be. Just do your research and if they say its ok then it will be.

You dont get into uni unless you have the grades anyway.

Moe suitable instead of Art would have been History, Classics or any other more acaemic subject.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
https://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/what-a-levels-do-you-need-to-study-english

Look at the entrance requirements at the chosen uni for the degree you wish to apply for. The one thats most problematic is how they view Art. Its not academic and it might be on their list of non preferred subjects. the higher up the elite chain you go then the fussier they can be. Just do your research and if they say its ok then it will be.

You dont get into uni unless you have the grades anyway.

Moe suitable instead of Art would have been History, Classics or any other more acaemic subject.

Thank you! So I am doing 4 Alevels for this month and then dropping one.

Art, English lit, history and psychology.
I will end up dropping history or psychology however I need advice on what opens me up for more in the future (as I am not really sure at this moment in time and will probably end up changing my mind).
Reply 3

Art is fine as a 3rd, or even 2nd, A-level for English.

I will end up dropping history or psychology however I need advice on what opens me up for more in the future (as I am not really sure at this moment in time and will probably end up changing my mind).

What degree do you wish to do?

Art is the weakest in most cases, unless its directly relevant to the degree,
The A levels which leave most options open are facilitating subjects which you have two being English and History.

You also need good grades.

Unless art was relevant I would drop that.

In between History and Psychology I would choose History all things being equal.
I'd think again if one was much stronger than the other or I enjoyed it more.

http://russellgroup.ac.uk/for-students/school-and-college-in-the-uk/subject-choices-at-school-and-college/
Reply 5
What degree do you wish to do?

Art is the weakest in most cases, unless its directly relevant to the degree,
The A levels which leave most options open are facilitating subjects which you have two being English and History.

You also need good grades.

Unless art was relevant I would drop that.

In between History and Psychology I would choose History all things being equal.
I'd think again if one was much stronger than the other or I enjoyed it more.

http://russellgroup.ac.uk/for-students/school-and-college-in-the-uk/subject-choices-at-school-and-college/

Thanks so much.

I definitley want to to art and English lit because English lit is so interesting and I got an A*/ A at GCSE, and art I have always had a strong passion with since doing the GCSE in year 9 and also achieving an A* (I really don't want to come across as vain but I really do need help so I'm telling you it in detail).

Also due to me not knowing what path I want to go in, I may also want to do an art degree aswell as English lit (one or the other) so I feel like history might be the best option.

I have never done history GCSE before, however my teachers allowed me to do history alevel due to my English grades and my performance all round. Would going straight into history Alevel be a challenge?
We would be studying Tudors and Nazi Germany.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Also, I'm worried if I were to pick history, that I would suddenly decide in 2 years that I should've taken psychology.
Thanks so much.

I definitley want to to art and English lit because English lit is so interesting and I got an A*/ A at GCSE, and art I have always had a strong passion with since doing the GCSE in year 9 and also achieving an A* (I really don't want to come across as vain but I really do need help so I'm telling you it in detail).

Also due to me not knowing what path I want to go in, I may also want to do an art degree aswell as English lit (one or the other) so I feel like history might be the best option.

I have never done history GCSE before, however my teachers allowed me to do history alevel due to my English grades and my performance all round. Would going straight into history Alevel be a challenge?
We would be studying Tudors and Nazi Germany.

You should talk to teachers , students and look at the course syllabus to see which one interests you the most and which one you stand the best chance of a good grade in. A A in Psychology is better than a C in History.

History is just all about understanding situations and appreciating everyones viewpoints then seeing how a series of events worked. You are asked your opinion on it and everyone elses bit like a soap opera.

It is one of the harder A levels not least of all because you have a lot of volume. the good grades tend to be for people with more than a basic understanding and can differentiate the different viewpoints. Its seen as a very solid subject to do and will complement English. It has a lot of similar skills required.

Only you can make the choice as to what best suits you, but you could get away with Art as a third if you have two strong facilitating subjects. Art will be ok in subjects which have a direct relevance i.e graphic design, but weak on most other subjects because it doesnt have the academic content.

If you wanted to do a psychology degree then they normally like a science A level, but you wouldnt be completely ruled out by English and History, especially if you did really well. It would reduce the available courses though.

You arent being vain, but you are being helpful giving me extra information so i can factor it in.
Also, I'm worried if I were to pick history, that I would suddenly decide in 2 years that I should've taken psychology.

Sometimes you have to make choices. Have a look at degrees and entry requirements. Doing research should arm you with the relevant info, just make the best choice for you.

I'd say keep history. Good writing subject to support English
You should talk to teachers , students and look at the course syllabus to see which one interests you the most and which one you stand the best chance of a good grade in. A A in Psychology is better than a C in History.

History is just all about understanding situations and appreciating everyones viewpoints then seeing how a series of events worked. You are asked your opinion on it and everyone elses bit like a soap opera.

It is one of the harder A levels not least of all because you have a lot of volume. the good grades tend to be for people with more than a basic understanding and can differentiate the different viewpoints. Its seen as a very solid subject to do and will complement English. It has a lot of similar skills required.

Only you can make the choice as to what best suits you, but you could get away with Art as a third if you have two strong facilitating subjects. Art will be ok in subjects which have a direct relevance i.e graphic design, but weak on most other subjects because it doesnt have the academic content.

If you wanted to do a psychology degree then they normally like a science A level, but you wouldnt be completely ruled out by English and History, especially if you did really well. It would reduce the available courses though.

You arent being vain, but you are being helpful giving me extra information so i can factor it in.

Thank you so very much and I will do a lot of research into it.
I guess I should just take the subjects I enjoy the most right now and see where it all leads me.
Thank you so very much and I will do a lot of research into it.
I guess I should just take the subjects I enjoy the most right now and see where it all leads me.

Well if you take that approach then be aware of the consequences.

If you insist on taking art, then i would do English and History which are strong academic subjects as a way for making up for Art being weak.

That said History is going to be no good if you are much stronger at Psychology and possibly less so if you wish to pursue Psychology. In just about all other cases all things being equal then History will be the better option.

For me in most cases the Art is a luxury and I would only keep it if I was very very good or I thought there was a very good chance it would form part of my degree.

Then you simply have to pick one or the other and be comfy you thought it out as best you could. As long as you realise its your decision and can live with it then ive pointed out what I think the drawbacks of each are and how it might play out. Dont underestimate interest in a subject and grades.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest