The Student Room Group

English Literature Coursework (A2)

What novels should I compare for my english literature coursework?
I don't know which ones would be good to compare, i'm aiming for the top grades so i will need sophisticated books.
What books are good to compare with:
The Bloody Chamber
Dracula
Lolita
Candide
The Woman in White
The Wide Sargasso Sea

(could i compare any of those books with each other? i was thinking possibly sexual themes in dracula and the bloody chamber but i'm not sure if that would make a developed enough essay)
Original post by Jamimaislame
What novels should I compare for my english literature coursework?
I don't know which ones would be good to compare, i'm aiming for the top grades so i will need sophisticated books.
What books are good to compare with:
The Bloody Chamber
Dracula
Lolita
Candide
The Woman in White
The Wide Sargasso Sea

(could i compare any of those books with each other? i was thinking possibly sexual themes in dracula and the bloody chamber but i'm not sure if that would make a developed enough essay)

it would be good to compare 2 books that have the same genre as they're more likely to have similar themes.

I think you should do your essay on a theme that you care about; that's gonna make it easy to write about.

so if you want, sure, do sexual themes between dracula and the bloody chamber. i certainly think those 2 books would be good ones to compare each other with. although lolita could be good for talking about sexual themes as well. i haven't read the last 3 books you mentioned, so i can't comment for them.

but yeah im also doing my coursework (a2) now (school starts on wednesday rip)

anyway good luck!
The Bloody Chamber: The Yellow Wallpaper, Handmaid's Tale, any Carol Ann Duffy anthology
Dracula: A Picture of Dorian Gray
I'm personally doing Handmaid's Tale and Brave New World bc I'm there for that dystopian future kind of thing, I mean those suggestions above aren't a comprehensive list, if you want to compare ones within your own list go ahead as I haven't read the last three. Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest