The Student Room Group

The differences between the examination boards

St Charles Catholic Six Form College is willing to accept my daughter into year 13 for Italian, Chemistry and Biology. Unfortunately, the exams boards for chemistry and biology are different from her previous school in year 12 where she did AS exams. In her AS, Biology was with AQA and chemistry was with Edexcel, while in this current school, biology is with OCR and chemistry is with AQA. Would the change of exams boards could create difficulties for my daughter? Has anyone also got an idea about St Charles college either is a good school or not? Please, I need your advice. Thanks
Original post by K Francis
St Charles Catholic Six Form College is willing to accept my daughter into year 13 for Italian, Chemistry and Biology. Unfortunately, the exams boards for chemistry and biology are different from her previous school in year 12 where she did AS exams. In her AS, Biology was with AQA and chemistry was with Edexcel, while in this current school, biology is with OCR and chemistry is with AQA. Would the change of exams boards could create difficulties for my daughter? Has anyone also got an idea about St Charles college either is a good school or not? Please, I need your advice. Thanks

It really won't matter. She'll be taught the work that she needs to know. Exam boards offer different takes on the subject but a lot of the things taught are similar across the different boards.

For my GCSEs, I did mainly Edexcel but switched to all AQA for A Levels and I didn't even notice. People switch all the time but it won't cause any issues.
Reply 2
Original post by greghayes
It really won't matter. She'll be taught the work that she needs to know. Exam boards offer different takes on the subject but a lot of the things taught are similar across the different boards.

For my GCSEs, I did mainly Edexcel but switched to all AQA for A Levels and I didn't even notice. People switch all the time but it won't cause any issues.

Thank you.
The reason she is changing her school is that she got ABBD in the AS exams and her school is not willing that she will continue with chemistry of which she got D. Unfortunately, chemistry is her favourite subject and therefore she is forced to change from the grammar school to st Charles college with different exams boards.
her exams are linear? won't it affect? She'll have her A2 stuff diff from her AS stuff. in that case she'll have to do AS all over again? @greghayes
Reply 4
Original post by sulaimanali
her exams are linear? won't it affect? She'll have her A2 stuff diff from her AS stuff. in that case she'll have to do AS all over again? @greghayes

I am not sure, but it seems in the new method the AS does not count much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending