The Student Room Group

I picked chemistry, physics and biology how f*cked am I?

Couldn't do maths so picked biology instead. Now I'm only worried about physics because apparently there is a lot of maths. I'm starting next Monday, what should I do to ensure I get the top grades?
Original post by Asker23121332
Couldn't do maths so picked biology instead. Now I'm only worried about physics because apparently there is a lot of maths. I'm starting next Monday, what should I do to ensure I get the top grades?

What did you get in maths GCSE? Most of the maths in physics is just memorization to be honest, so I would just practice the different question types in physics over and over again. Start focusing on mechanics in physics early on to make sure that by the time exams come you can understand it, as that is the most maths heavy part of AS physics (at least for AQA)

You are not fuc*** at all, ignore the idiots who tell you otherwise, just revise and put the effort in and you will be fine.
Reply 3
I'm on to my second year of a levels in biology, chemistry and physics. Physics is definitely the hardest one for me, but it does make the others seem easier in comparison and helps change the way you think so you can answer questions for biolgoy and chemistry easier. It's hard work but if you are committed you can definitely do it! Biology is mostly memorisation. Physics is more application of math skills so as long as you do lots of pratice you'll be fine. Chemistry is somewhere in the middle but if you can handle math in physics, you'll be fine with the math in chemistry. Good luck!
If its OCR you're ****ed.
Original post by SlashaRussia
What did you get in maths GCSE? Most of the maths in physics is just memorization to be honest, so I would just practice the different question types in physics over and over again. Start focusing on mechanics in physics early on to make sure that by the time exams come you can understand it, as that is the most maths heavy part of AS physics (at least for AQA)

Got a 5 in maths
Original post by Labcoat
I'm on to my second year of a levels in biology, chemistry and physics. Physics is definitely the hardest one for me, but it does make the others seem easier in comparison and helps change the way you think so you can answer questions for biolgoy and chemistry easier. It's hard work but if you are committed you can definitely do it! Biology is mostly memorisation. Physics is more application of math skills so as long as you do lots of pratice you'll be fine. Chemistry is somewhere in the middle but if you can handle math in physics, you'll be fine with the math in chemistry. Good luck!

Original post by Bad gcse's
You are not fuc*** at all, ignore the idiots who tell you otherwise, just revise and put the effort in and you will be fine.

From the start, how many hours of revision should I do to ensure I get the top grades? (Might do medicine at uni) . For GCSE science, I got an A for all of them (did triple science)
Got a 5 in maths

Then in the beggining of the year I would make sure you go over the maths in the physics lessons in detail. Make sure you understand it early in the year so that you don't struggle with it too much later on.

Most of physics you should be fine with, but you might struggle with the mechanics and further mechanics units a lot, so when you start revising, focus on those. Once you learn the pattern of the questions and the solutions then they become very easy marks. :smile:
Reply 8
From the start, how many hours of revision should I do to ensure I get the top grades? (Might do medicine at uni) . For GCSE science, I got an A for all of them (did triple science)

A lot of people recommend to do an hour of revision for every hour of classwork, but depending on how well each topic makes sense just adjust as you go and spend more time on what you need to work on. For medicine (as that is what I'm apply to do), I recommend looking into summer schools for experience in the subject and to start planning your work experience now as well. Then, also start some UKCAT/BMAT revision after you've started getting settled into sixth for, such as near the spring term doing a few question sets each week or so just to get used to it.

Quick Reply

Latest