The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Your experience of sports clubs at the university?

Hi, I'm a male going into second year, doing bA History. A lot of my friends from last year said they'd really enjoyed playing sport at Exeter and that it was a really friendly evvironment. I'm at a good level of fitness already but haven't played much sport except for footie as a kid so I'll be starting at a complete beginner level so I had a couple of worries if you've played sport at the uni before.

Do many sports clubs cater to complete beginners or would you be looked down upon? Which sports are best for beginners, or have a large percentage of beginners? Also, is the 'rah lad culture' really extreme? I love drinking and having a fun time but don't want it to get either cliquey or extreme. Finally, how much do most sports cost? Specifically the prices of rowing, men's lacrosse, football, cricket and rugby. Do comment with your experiences, please, as it's a big financial decision (I'm not too well off) for me.
I played 1st team rugby last year but packed it in a couple of months in. If you're just starting out you'd probably start in the lower teams and work your way up, you won't be the only one who's taken up a new sport or is getting back into it.

The culture is something I despised though. I wasn't sure if I wanted to play for the uni or a club but they asked me to play so I just went along with it.

If you're in your first year or a new player, you're basically expected to suck up to the older guys. We had forfeits at training if we missed a social or whatever. The initiation was the final straw for me, dont wanna be too extreme with it on here but we were expected to a. drink whatever they asked us to and I'm not talking alcohol. b. strip naked whilst they dragged our knees across the street. I packed it in at that point, went down to a local club instead and just played there. If you don't play along you don't get picked basically. Maybe it's different for the lower teams but it wasn't something I enjoyed by any means.

Different uni to you but thought I'd chip in as you hadnt got any replies.
(edited 6 years ago)
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by Brwned
I played 1st team rugby last year but packed it in a couple of months in. If you're just starting out you'd probably start in the lower teams and work your way up, you won't be the only one who's taken up a new sport or is getting back into it.

The culture is something I despised though. I wasn't sure if I wanted to play for the uni or a club but they asked me to play so I just went along with it.

If you're in your first year or a new player, you're basically expected to suck up to the older guys. We had forfeits at training if we missed a social or whatever. The initiation was the final straw for me, dont wanna be too extreme with it on here but we were expected to a. drink whatever they asked us to and I'm not talking alcohol. b. strip naked whilst they dragged our knees across the street. I packed it in at that point, went down to a local club instead and just played there. If you don't play along you don't get picked basically. Maybe it's different for the lower teams but it wasn't something I enjoyed by any means.

Different uni to you but thought I'd chip in as you hadnt got any replies.

How are the prices of the sport societies? I was thinking of joining the windriders society but so far I haven't been able to find any information about the pricing
Original post by MediaSucks
How are the prices of the sport societies? I was thinking of joining the windriders society but so far I haven't been able to find any information about the pricing

I didn't pay mine but think it should have been £80.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending