The Student Room Group

How hard is Biology A-Level?

Past experiences?
Step up from GCSE?
Original post by Oneiropólos
Past experiences?
Step up from GCSE?

The science doesn't make the subject difficult, it's the size of the specification. There is just so much to memorise compared to other A-Levels. If you have superior memory, then it's going to be a walk in the park though.

It's definitely a step up from GCSE due to the amount of content and quite a few people in my class despite getting A*/A at GCSE Triple Science ended up with C's and D's at AS/A-Level.
it's great.
Past experiences?
Step up from GCSE?

Biology is tough that's for sure especially these linear exams I got a B at GCSE and got an E at A Level, but I guess the sciences just aren't for me if you think you can do it and you believe you have the ability then go for it.
Well, when i started my very first bio class, the teachers made it very clear that its super duper hard and some students who previously gotten A had dropped their grades or may even fail and etc etc but then i think it really depends on you? For me, i like biology, i find it most interesting out of the rest of the subjects I'm taking, and it seems like no different than your ordinary biology class? Just pay attention and do all the work, i think you'll be fine!

Lets put it this way, O-Level biology is just like a summary for A-Level biology. Haha but im sure, A-Level biology would almost be like a summary for university courses as well 😂 But remember, as we progress in our studies, its just gonna get harder and tougher, its just how it works? I used to think O-Levels is like the ULTIMATE exam to prepare for to determine your future blah blah blah and i used to think that it was one of the hardest exams to do but when i started A-Levels, i realised O-Levels is like nothing much really..the really basic stuff. 😨 Haha, we all gotta start somewhere right?
personally, i found it difficult but not impossible.

i came in from gcse with an A in bio expecting to do well but failed consecutive mocks with E's/D's. i considered dropping numerous times, but i stuck with it and managed to get an A in AS level. it all depends on u tbh.

A HUGE STEP UP
It's A LOT of memorising and can get confusing because there are so many stages :redface: personally I enjoy even though I am not doing so great at it :tongue:
Respiration & photosynthesis at GCSE vs Alevel is :K: you'll be surprised. It's alot more detailed. The questions require you to use the exact key word other wise you don't get the mark.

I got an A* at GCSE and I got a C in my mock :colonhash:
Original post by sakikaru
personally, i found it difficult but not impossible.

i came in from gcse with an A in bio expecting to do well but failed consecutive mocks with E's/D's. i considered dropping numerous times, but i stuck with it and managed to get an A in AS level. it all depends on u tbh.

A HUGE STEP UP

Woow congrats!! Thats amazing 🙈
Past experiences?
Step up from GCSE?

I do think it depends on the type of person you are, and how well you can manage it. If you're quite organised and get yourself into a good routine, i think it shouldn't be too difficult. It is DEFINITELY a step up. Definitely. I remember breaking down in the first week like the geek i was because i got so overwhelmed. There's a lot to learn, but if you follow up your notes after every lesson or on the weekend, making sure you understand them, i think you should be fine :smile:
Reply 9
It depends how willing you are to put the work in and get what you want out of it. I got an A at GCSE Biology (it is also worth noting I'm not what they call a "bright" student... I got 1A*, 4As, 6Bs and 2Cs at GCSE) and I got an A at AS Biology, on the new specification. If you are willing to put the effort in to revise and work hard consistently throughout the year, then it is a worthy course.

Quick Reply

Latest