The Student Room Group

The Decider: Destination DURHAM???

The Final Countdown...

The time is now. GCSEs done, AS Levels in the bag, it's time for the big one. And boy am I nervous! :afraid:

Hello!! I'm Protostar - some of you may have seen me around, others may not, but I'm on a mission to grow my grades and get into university! :biggrin:

Academic Info

GCSEs

AS Levels

I'm doing A Levels in Maths (AQA), Further Maths (Edexcel) and Physics (AQA), and I'm also doing an EPQ on Maths. This blog will be documenting primarily my revision, but also how I feel with regards to upcoming exams, my EPQ, university applications and everything else that comes with being a Year 13 student!

Year 12 was a bit of a bumpy road - when I was motivated for a change it was kind of rare that I put it to good use, and when I wasn't...there was no chance. But luckily I managed to pull myself together towards the end and get the results I wanted!

This is my third Grow Your Grades blog (I know, three. I must not have much of a life :rolleyes:), previous installments can be found here (GCSE) and here (AS Level) if you're interested in seeing how I got through the last two years of my education!

Mock Exam Results
Maths: A
Further Maths: Original paper got lost, we did another one on 27/03/2018 and I got an A*
Physics: A
(Full breakdown of results can be found here!)

University stuff!

Applications

Replies

Why Durham?
I took part in a scheme this year called Supported Progression run by Durham University. I've wanted to go to Durham for a while now...probably since early Year 11, and this scheme will aid massively with my application. As part of the scheme I attended an assessed Summer School, which, if I pass the assessed element, will result in me gaining a guaranteed, reduced conditional offer for Maths at Durham. Pretty neat, huh? Especially cos there's no way in hell I'm getting in otherwise ahem :colondollar:

Why Maths?
To put it simply, because I'm reasonably good at it :colondollar: Nah but seriously, it's an amazing subject, it just clicks for me and I really want to study it further because I'd feel it was a huge shame if I didn't! (And also, there's no way I'm doing a Physics degree :rofl:)

I aim to update this daily, to keep up with tradition :tongue: However what I've seen a lot of this year is people making tag lists so that it's easier for people to keep up with updates - I think it's a great idea and I'm already in a few :h: However, I don't want to be bombarding everyone with notifications, so, I'm planning on doing detailed updates Sunday-Friday and then a brief summary update every Saturday, and it'll be this one that I tag you guys in, if that makes sense? :colondollar:

Either way, let me know if you want to be tagged every week and I'll make a note of it! (And if at any point you want to stop getting notifications - that's completely fine too. Just let me know! :h:)

Tagged Lovelies

Aaaaaand quoting people from my last GYG who may want to follow this one! :dance:

Stupidly Long Quote List...

Back to the grind tomorrow! I'm so not ready :cry2:
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

FIRST!!!!

Here every step of the way! You’ve got this - subbing! Love the layout btw :biggrin:
Good luck! :biggrin:

I'm also doing an EPQ on Maths

Have you decided on a topic yet?
Tag me each update pls :hat2:
Original post by Protostar

The Final Countdown...

The time is now. GCSEs done, AS Levels in the bag, it's time for the big one. And boy am I nervous! :afraid:

Hello!! I'm Protostar - some of you may have seen me around, others may not, but I'm on a mission to grow my grades and get into university! :biggrin:

Academic Info

GCSEs

AS Levels

I'm doing A Levels in Maths, Further Maths and Physics, and I'm also doing an EPQ on Maths. This blog will be documenting primarily my revision, but also how I feel with regards to upcoming exams, my EPQ, university applications and everything else that comes with being a Year 13 student!

Year 12 was a bit of a bumpy road - when I was motivated for a change it was kind of rare that I put it to good use, and when I wasn't...there was no chance. But luckily I managed to pull myself together towards the end and get the results I wanted!

This is my third Grow Your Grades blog (I know, three. I must not have much of a life :rolleyes:), previous installments can be found here (GCSE) and here (AS Level) if you're interested in seeing how I got through the last two years of my education!

University stuff!

Applications

Offers

Why Durham?
I took part in a scheme this year called Supported Progression run by Durham University. I've wanted to go to Durham for a while now...probably since early Year 11, and this scheme will aid massively with my education. As part of the scheme I attended an assessed Summer School, which, if I pass the assessed element, will result in me gaining a guaranteed, reduced conditional offer for Maths at Durham. Pretty neat, huh? Especially cos there's no way in hell I'm getting in otherwise ahem :colondollar:

Why Maths?
To put it simply, because I'm reasonably good at it :colondollar: Nah but seriously, it's an amazing subject, it just clicks for me and I really want to study it further because I'd feel it was a huge shame if I didn't! (And also, there's no way I'm doing a Physics degree :rofl:)

I aim to update this daily, to keep up with tradition :tongue: However what I've seen a lot of this year is people making tag lists so that it's easier for people to keep up with updates - I think it's a great idea and I'm already in a few :h: However, I don't want to be bombarding everyone with notifications, so, I'm planning on doing detailed updates Sunday-Friday and then a brief summary update every Saturday, and it'll be this one that I tag you guys in, if that makes sense? :colondollar:

Either way, let me know if you want to be tagged every week and I'll make a note of it!

Tagged Lovelies

Aaaaaand quoting people from my last GYG who may want to follow this one! :dance:

Woo! Best of luck! Rooting for you and can't wait to follow your story!

:yay:
(edited 6 years ago)
PRSOM! You're amazing, keep up the brilliant work! Here with you every step :biggrin:
Good luck and congrats on your AS results! I will definitely be keeping up with this :h: (also maths :heart: :heart:)
Especially cos there's no way in hell I'm getting in otherwise

Don't be so negative towards yourself. :pierre:
Best of luck!
Reply 9

The Final Countdown...

Academic Info

GCSEs

AS Levels

I'm doing A Levels in Maths, Further Maths and Physics, and I'm also doing an EPQ on Maths. This blog will be documenting primarily my revision, but also how I feel with regards to upcoming exams, my EPQ, university applications and everything else that comes with being a Year 13 student!

University stuff!

Applications

Offers

Why Durham?
I took part in a scheme this year called Supported Progression run by Durham University. I've wanted to go to Durham for a while now...probably since early Year 11, and this scheme will aid massively with my education. As part of the scheme I attended an assessed Summer School, which, if I pass the assessed element, will result in me gaining a guaranteed, reduced conditional offer for Maths at Durham. Pretty neat, huh? Especially cos there's no way in hell I'm getting in otherwise ahem :colondollar:

Why Maths?

Either way, let me know if you want to be tagged every week and I'll make a note of it!

Tagged Lovelies

Good luck for the coming year. You're obviously very capable so I have little doubt you can achieve top grades this coming year. Just keep on doing what you're doing and you'll be fine! :smile:
Good luck @Protostar!, can I subscribe pls? ( I should make my own!)
i'm honestly so proud of you because i was with you throughout your gcse journey and now i am here to witness what you achieve at A2! good luck for this year, you will do amazingly and i am sure that this time next year, you will be getting ready to go to durham university x

defo add me to your tag list because i will be reading every single one of your updates x
(edited 6 years ago)
Add me to the tag list, lovely :awesome:

Spoiler

Original post by Paracosm
FIRST!!!!

Here every step of the way! You’ve got this - subbing! Love the layout btw :biggrin:

Why are you a YouTube meme :indiff:

Thank you!! Will get you added in now :hugs:

Original post by _gcx
Good luck! :biggrin:

Have you decided on a topic yet?

Thanks!!

And kind of... I'm gonna focus it on the gender split in the study of maths :dontknow: I'm not really cut out for the EPQ!

Original post by shadowdweller
Tag me each update pls :hat2:

It will be done :hat2:

Original post by brainzistheword
Woo! Best of luck! Rooting for you and can't wait to follow your story!

:yay:

Thank you so much!! :woo:

Original post by BurstingBubbles
PRSOM! You're amazing, keep up the brilliant work! Here with you every step :biggrin:

Thanks Bubbles! :hugs:

Original post by Sonechka
Good luck and congrats on your AS results! I will definitely be keeping up with this :h: (also maths :heart: :heart:)

Maths :heart: :heart: :heart: and thank you! I shall add you to the list :h:

Original post by usycool1
Don't be so negative towards yourself. :pierre:

:cry2: but have you seen the grade requirements :cry2:

Original post by dxvid
Best of luck!

Thanks!

Original post by Desmos
Good luck for the coming year. You're obviously very capable so I have little doubt you can achieve top grades this coming year. Just keep on doing what you're doing and you'll be fine! :smile:

Ah thank you!! I'll certainly try my best! :dumbells:

Original post by DreamlinerFinder
Good luck @Protostar!, can I subscribe pls? ( I should make my own!)

Will add you to the list! :biggrin: And you should! (Tag me in if you do! :wink:)
x

Heyy, best of luck! It's great seeing someone else who wants to study maths at university :ahee: I'm thinking of applying to York for the MMath too :wink:
I look forward to seeing the successes this year has in store for you :h:
Why are you a YouTube meme :indiff:

Thank you!! Will get you added in now :hugs:

Thanks!!

And kind of... I'm gonna focus it on the gender split in the study of maths :dontknow: I'm not really cut out for the EPQ!

It will be done :hat2:

Thank you so much!! :woo:

Thanks Bubbles! :hugs:

Maths :heart: :heart: :heart: and thank you! I shall add you to the list :h:

:cry2: but have you seen the grade requirements :cry2:

Thanks!

Ah thank you!! I'll certainly try my best! :dumbells:

Will add you to the list! :biggrin: And you should! (Tag me in if you do! :wink:)

I'll look to it later this week when I have time ( IB2 life!), but yours seems amazing!

Awwh I was thinking more theoretical. I haven't seen anyone do a maths EPQ that wasn't a stats investigation, so I'd be interested to see what you eventually come up with.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Add me to the tag list, lovely :awesome:

Spoiler

It will be done :hugs:

Spoiler

Original post by Matrix123
Heyy, best of luck! It's great seeing someone else who wants to study maths at university :ahee: I'm thinking of applying to York for the MMath too :wink:
I look forward to seeing the successes this year has in store for you :h:

Yaaaaay Maths :five: Ooooh! I'm like 99% sure I won't end up going there, but it's exciting nonetheless :biggrin:
Thank you! :h:

Original post by DreamlinerFinder
I'll look to it later this week when I have time ( IB2 life!), but yours seems amazing!

Ahhhh, completely fair enough!! I'm excited to read it if you do! Thanks again :biggrin:

Original post by _gcx
Awwh I was thinking more theoretical. I haven't seen anyone do a maths EPQ that wasn't a stats investigation, so I'd be interested to see what you eventually come up with.

Yeah, a lot of people who do a Maths EPQ do tend to go down the full-on maths route, but it wasn't really for me :tongue: I'm interested to see what I manage to produce too, I won't lie! :lol:
Dammit I'm not first :emo:, but I'll follow this thread!

The Final Countdown...

Academic Info

GCSEs

AS Levels

University stuff!

Applications

Offers

Why Durham?

Why Maths?

Tagged Lovelies

Good luck! You can do it!!!! :woo:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending