The Student Room Group

D in AS maths help

So i got a D in AS maths and i will be resitting c1 and c2 can someone give revision tips on how i casn get full marks on these exams, because I need an A in a level maths for uni. Thanks.
Past papers

I'm resitting c1 and fp1
Yes, lots and lots of past papers, also do some extra practice questions - you can find a lot of resources on 'Physics and Maths Tutor'. There are some very useful videos on youtube - also check out HegartyMaths and ExamSolutions and then you'll be sorted.
Reply 3
Original post by Geodesic
Yes, lots and lots of past papers, also do some extra practice questions - you can find a lot of resources on 'Physics and Maths Tutor'. There are some very useful videos on youtube - also check out HegartyMaths and ExamSolutions and then you'll be sorted.

I did every past paper and i still ended up with a D.
Original post by Marva_

What mark were you usually getting on them?
Resitting AS maths in A2 makes it so much more easy as youve covered harder stuff, so it becomes childs play. Then again, edexcel is the embodiment of "your future means **** all to us" ...so eh

Also most good cources like medicine will still accept an AS resit as its still within the 2-year period
Reply 6
Definately past papers, but if you are also sitting c3 and c4 it will help
Original post by Marva_
So i got a D in AS maths and i will be resitting c1 and c2 can someone give revision tips on how i casn get full marks on these exams, because I need an A in a level maths for uni. Thanks.

Honestly, forget the Uni that you need a A for, as you're most likely only going to get to a B tops if you can't get high marks after doing past papers.
Reply 8
I got a D in AS maths, resat c1 and c2 and came out with a high B overall. Its achievable but work your ass off. My advice would be to learn c1 and c2 completely within the next month. Then for every week up until your exams do 2/3 past papers per week. You pretty much have no chance with c3 and c4 without knowing c1 and c2 so its best to learn all the content asap
Reply 9
Original post by MDargg1
I got a D in AS maths, resat c1 and c2 and came out with a high B overall. Its achievable but work your ass off. My advice would be to learn c1 and c2 completely within the next month. Then for every week up until your exams do 2/3 past papers per week. You pretty much have no chance with c3 and c4 without knowing c1 and c2 so its best to learn all the content asap

I knew the content OCR threw in some real hard questions this year and thanks btw.
Reply 10
What mark were you usually getting on them?

B/A
Original post by Marva_
B/A

Oh that is quite odd, getting A/B in past papers shows that you know the content well. So I'm guessing the issue is not about learning the content but maybe more about exam technique?

If that is the case, try to do all of your past papers in an exam setting. Therefore only allow yourself 1:30 hrs, on a desk and without any breaks, stopping and distractions. (If the problem is about making small mistakes that cost you a lot of marks in the exam that you would have spotted otherwise, doing exam style past papers should help with that too.)

If exam technique isn't a problem, when you are doing practice questions, even if you are getting 80-90%, go back and check where you lost marks and make sure you learn your weaknesses, really learn what the mark scheme is asking for, fix them and then do the question again, as unfortunately what you don't know, how small a topic it might be, might pop up in the exam and cost you a lot of marks. And don't forget to write your answer clearly and include all the steps as in some modules not including all steps or messy answers might cost you marks.

Starting C3/C4 will help too as if you keep on track with those too, you definitely will have no problem doing C1/C2, they'll seem ridiculously easy.

And as a last resort, you said that you have done all the past papers, which is very good and could be enough, but if that didn't work for you (and exam technique/stress wasn't a big problem for you) do them again and again until you get to the point where you are getting 100% at each and it's not a big deal doing the questions. Practice is really key, don't just limit yourself to your own exam board do some questions from other boards, try doing some questions from the MAT/STEP I, which will improve your mathematical skills generally.
Original post by Marva_

Did you make Cards?
Reply 13
Oh that is quite odd, getting A/B in past papers shows that you know the content well. So I'm guessing the issue is not about learning the content but maybe more about exam technique?

If that is the case, try to do all of your past papers in an exam setting. Therefore only allow yourself 1:30 hrs, on a desk and without any breaks, stopping and distractions. (If the problem is about making small mistakes that cost you a lot of marks in the exam that you would have spotted otherwise, doing exam style past papers should help with that too.)

If exam technique isn't a problem, when you are doing practice questions, even if you are getting 80-90%, go back and check where you lost marks and make sure you learn your weaknesses, really learn what the mark scheme is asking for, fix them and then do the question again, as unfortunately what you don't know, how small a topic it might be, might pop up in the exam and cost you a lot of marks. And don't forget to write your answer clearly and include all the steps as in some modules not including all steps or messy answers might cost you marks.

Starting C3/C4 will help too as if you keep on track with those too, you definitely will have no problem doing C1/C2, they'll seem ridiculously easy.

And as a last resort, you said that you have done all the past papers, which is very good and could be enough, but if that didn't work for you (and exam technique/stress wasn't a big problem for you) do them again and again until you get to the point where you are getting 100% at each and it's not a big deal doing the questions. Practice is really key, don't just limit yourself to your own exam board do some questions from other boards, try doing some questions from the MAT/STEP I, which will improve your mathematical skills generally.

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest