The Student Room Group

Please Stop Speeding

Please, just stop speeding.

It's dangerous and you could kill somebody. But you're also filling up this forum with your posts asking if you've been caught.

Every other post here seems to be about speeding tickets. You know the easiest way to avoid speeding tickets?

Don't speed. Leave plenty of time for your journeys and don't let other drivers pressure you by tailgating. If your friends want you to drive faster, tell them you can't afford the points or that there might be an unmarked traffic car behind you (there might be, after all).

Just stay safe. It's not worth the fine, the points or the panicked TSR thread :wink:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oh don't be so ridiculous. There's instances where speed limits should not be so low, or in place at all.

You can not tell me doing 80mph on a motorway is any more dangerous than travelling at 55mph in a 50mph zone.
Remove the damn speed limits from motorways
Speeding is good for the economy
People who speed will get wiped out by natural selection anyway
Original post by IWMTom
Oh don't be so ridiculous. There's instances where speed limits should not be so low, or in place at all.

You can not tell me doing 80mph on a motorway is any more dangerous than travelling at 55mph in a 50mph zone.

PRSOM
Original post by Valyrian

Is something someone who doesn't drive would say.
Original post by 23 and Grey
Is something someone who doesn't drive would say.

Get out me car
Reply 8
I'm not suggesting that it's always dangerous, just that people shouldn't be so surprised when they get tickets for it (or think they're going to get tickets for it). Everybody knows that there are cameras around, and if you're going to break the speed limit then it's a risk you run.

And, sometimes, it is also dangerous. I know it's not representative of all roads, but there have been a fair few accidents around on the road where I live because people regularly ignore the speed limit and realise too late that it's so low because there's a set of hazards around the blind bend.
Reply 9
Speeding comes with a level of risk, but providing the driver is sensible, there isn't much of an issue.
Slow driving can be as much dangerous as a little bit of speeding, if a driver lacks awarness and is not used to stresfull situations on the road.

I might add that you have ridiculous speed limits in UK. Your speed limits on motorways are below the abilities of the 70ties cars to handle easy and safely. And I know this, as I drive a very average car from 70ties almost every day.

It's more important if a driver has taken care of his or her skills by reading proper literature on technique of driving, and training it on skidpads and then on racing tracks, than if one strictly obeys to speed limits or not.

Depending on various factors it maybe safe to drive above the speed limit, and sometimes even speeds in the speed limits are not safe at all.
the new 20 mph speed limits are the most irritating.
Statistically, despite what the government will tell you, very few serious accidents are attributed to speeding, typically less than 5% per year.
Original post by Valyrian

Along with the 'innocent' people they crash into?
Original post by hezzlington
Along with the 'innocent' people they crash into?

Sure, we can go with that
Original post by sek510i

And, sometimes, it is also dangerous. I know it's not representative of all roads, but there have been a fair few accidents around on the road where I live because people regularly ignore the speed limit and realise too late that it's so low because there's a set of hazards around the blind bend.

The problem there is the way speed limits are set these days. In many places they're set with little consideration of what is actually a safe speed, which essentially encourages people to exceed the limit. If speed limits were set more realistically then they would be obeyed more often.
Reply 16
Heads up, 1mph over and if caught you will get 3 points and a fine = to your weekly income.10mph over and 6 points with 150% fine.20mph over, 6 points and 200% fine.The new gatso cameras will flash at 1mph over.
Reply 17
Original post by Jaetten
Heads up, 1mph over and if caught you will get 3 points and a fine = to your weekly income.10mph over and 6 points with 150% fine.20mph over, 6 points and 200% fine.The new gatso cameras will flash at 1mph over.

Force dependent; GATSO don't set the threshold.
Reply 18
Original post by IWMTom
Force dependent; GATSO don't set the threshold.

Maybe so, but at least with Derbyshire they, like Yorkshire are prosecuting at +1mph. The A6 is getting all the old ones replaced and the new speeding fines are heavily enforced along some sections.
Reply 19
Original post by Jaetten
Maybe so, but at least with Derbyshire they, like Yorkshire are prosecuting at +1mph. The A6 is getting all the old ones replaced and the new speeding fines are heavily enforced along some sections.

I don't refute that; I'm merely elaborating on your point.

Quick Reply

Latest