The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Plagioclase
Complains about someone else being judgemental. Proceeds to call their livelihood "**** tier". If that isn't hypocrisy I don't know what is. Also, you do not get to define the definition of "Art", particularly since you've looked at only two pieces of work that she's made which have probably been cherry picked by OP or wherever they got the story from.

But what if his post was art?
Reply 21
Complains about someone else being judgemental. Proceeds to call their livelihood "**** tier". If that isn't hypocrisy I don't know what is. Also, you do not get to define the definition of "Art", particularly since you've looked at only two pieces of work that she's made which have probably been cherry picked by OP or wherever they got the story from.

They're not cherry picked, I chose them at random. You can Google her other work, it's all much the same.

And yes, of course I am being judgemental, but I do not accept your accusation of hypocrisy. She judged people she didn't even know based solely on their appearance. I'm judging her on what she is actually doing, and what she is doing is utter ****, in my frank opinion.
Who's surprised? A lot of white middle-class lefties despise the white working-class.
Reply 23
Original post by Wōden
http://metro.co.uk/2017/09/05/artist-shames-workmen-in-mcdonalds-queue-saying-they-have-1-gcse-6904234/

Here are just a few examples of Hetty Douglas' masterpieces.

hetty_6_dmfnux.jpg

Ironic really. Those lads she is mocking can probably build and repair anything. They are infinitely more useful and valuable to society than her and her sh*t tier "art" that literally any toddler could produce.

first of all I'd be more concerned about my own embarrassment due to tweeting from McDonald's than about how other people are dressed in that filthy feeder.

Secondly, its classless also to make such a comment and publicly shame the working class (especially, but not exclusively, for an artist or intellectual, the middle class should be a preferred target).

Having said this, she's free to say what she wants and maybe there's a sense to it (connected with her work or previous posts). It's also a matter of fact that they probably aren't highly educated.
Has she looked in the mirror at all? She looks ridiculous. :rofl:
If the Artist had any credibility they would not have gone into McDonalds in the first place.
She can say whatever she wants, but should remember she's eating the **** McDonalds serves too :tongue:
:rofl: 'Art'
Complains about someone else being judgemental. Proceeds to call their livelihood "**** tier". If that isn't hypocrisy I don't know what is.

How is it hypocrisy? They are judging someone who has engaged in a moral wrong, i.e. judging people going about their day-to-day life. It would be hypocrisy if the poster you quoted did that, but they have not - they have judged the judgemental. The two are not equivalent.

Also, you do not get to define the definition of "Art", particularly since you've looked at only two pieces of work that she's made which have probably been cherry picked by OP or wherever they got the story from.

So there should be no standard as to what is or is not considered "Art"?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by usualsuspects

Secondly, its classless also to make such a comment and publicly shame the working class (especially, but not exclusively, for an artist or intellectual, the middle class should be a preferred target).

So this is wrong, but it is perfectly fine to photograph someone without their consent in a suit in a shop and making a derogatory comment about them being an accountant or lawyer? Or something like that?

I think photographing people without their consent and making judgemental assumptions is wrong across the board.
Reply 30

Is there a limit to how loosely we can define art? Is skill an insignificant factor? If so, can I grab a ruler, strike a straight line across an A4 piece of paper, frame it, and call it art? Can I take a webcam photo of the lemonade can sitting next to my laptop and call it art? Can I throw said can outside of Westminster Abbey and call it art? My parents are both artists. They have honed their craft and their works are miles beyond the absolute trash produced by this woman. Take a look at some of the work by the great artists of the past against this reprehensible product of the present. Take a look at the skill, the insight, the genius behind it. And compare it to the veritable garbage this pretender spews out.

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Iridocyclitis
How is it hypocrisy? They are judging someone who has engaged in a moral wrong, i.e. judging people going about their day-to-day life. It would be hypocrisy if the poster you quoted did that, but they have not - they have judged the judgemental. The two are not equivalent.

So there should be no standard as to what is or is not considered "Art"?

Yeah no there isn't a standard as to what is considered 'contemporary Art'. Because if you for example say 'this isn't art.' then someone else says 'why not?' then suddenly it is.

If you don't like this type of work, me included, that's fine because we aren't the target audience. This sort of art is for a pretty niche crowd who will like this sort of thing because its different, and they have seen so much other art before and just want something new.

The fact is though, is that this girl's career is basically ruined as having good image and reputation is just as valuable as her paintings. Or who knows.
My god her art is trash. Those men have more to provide to society than her sh*tty art
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Is there a limit to how loosely we can define art? Is skill an insignificant factor? If so, can I grab a ruler, strike a straight line across an A4 piece of paper, frame it, and call it art? Can I take a webcam photo of the lemonade can sitting next to my laptop and call it art? Can I throw said can outside of Westminster Abbey and call it art? My parents are both artists. They have honed their craft and their works are miles beyond the absolute trash produced by this woman. Take a look at some of the work by the great artists of the past against this reprehensible product of the present. Take a look at the skill, the insight, the genius behind it. And compare it to the veritable garbage this pretender spews out.

Why the abusive language? It's totally uncalled for, and really unfair. I don't understand how she could possibly have upset you to the point of you feeling justified in calling her work "absolute trash" and "veritable garbage". You attached a lovely painting, but that is not the only interpretation of art. I am sure that there are people who see meaning in her work.
Reply 34
Why the abusive language? It's totally uncalled for, and really unfair. I don't understand how she could possibly have upset you to the point of you feeling justified in calling her work "absolute trash" and "veritable garbage". You attached a lovely painting, but that is not the only interpretation of art. I am sure that there are people who see meaning in her work.

Well I must concede that I am slightly drunk; usually I would not make such a post. Were it not for her criticism of the working class, I would have little motivation to criticize this woman, but as it stands, I feel justified in going all out, and using "abusive language" as you say (for the record, I did not intend to attack you at all, only this artist). I do not believe her work demonstrates any talent. Of the pieces I have seen, I understand what they are trying to get across, but believe that a great many more competent artists (I use this term loosely; I refer also to writers of poetry, novel, music, TV shows, etc.) could easily get across the same points far more cogently and elegantly. I likely would not be so aggressive towards this woman in a 1-on-1 conversation, in spite of her actions, as I generally don't aim to make people feel terrible regardless of what they have done. If I don't necessarily believe that her work ought to be stricken of the right to be called art, I do believe that there is an important distinction between art that takes time, talent and care, and art like hers.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Well I must concede that I am slightly drunk; usually I would not make such a post. Were it not for her criticism of the working class, I would have little motivation to criticize this woman, but as it stands, I feel justified in going all out, and using "abusive language" as you say (for the record, I did not intend to attack you at all, only this artist). I do not believe her work demonstrates any talent. Of the pieces I have seen, I understand what they are trying to get across, but believe that a great many more competent artists (I use this term loosely; I refer also to writers of poetry, novel, music, TV shows, etc.) could easily get across the same points far more cogently and elegantly. I likely would not be so aggressive towards this woman in a 1-on-1 conversation, in spite of her actions, as I generally don't aim to make people feel terrible regardless of what they have done. If I don't necessarily believe that her work ought to be stricken of the right to be called art, I do believe that there is an important distinction between art that takes time, talent and care, and art like hers.

You're totally right. It is trash and pretentious.
Lmao. I bet she's a rich tory that studied fine art so that she'd never have to work.
Reply 37
Original post by Iridocyclitis
So this is wrong, but it is perfectly fine to photograph someone without their consent in a suit in a shop and making a derogatory comment about them being an accountant or lawyer? Or something like that?

I think photographing people without their consent and making judgemental assumptions is wrong across the board.

She said they weren't educated and this is probably true. It's not a matter of right and wrong, it's unclassy and of little intellectual interest to make fun of the lower class. The dominant (middle is socially dominant) class would be a more interesting target.
typical feminist
Original post by usualsuspects
She said they weren't educated and this is probably true.

Taking a photo of a severely disabled person in public without their consent with the caption "I bet they can't use the toilet on their own" would probably be true, but that doesn't make it right - it is wrong.

The dominant (middle is socially dominant) class would be a more interesting target.

Not unless you're a bully and a sadist - taking photos of people without their consent and shaming them on the basis of assumptions is wrong, whether working-class, middle-class, etc.