The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChickenMadness
Lmao. I bet she's a rich tory that studied fine art so that she'd never have to work.

>tory
100% she voted Labour for Corbyn's handouts like most moronic students did.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Angry Bird
typical feminist

and what about her suggests she is?
There are pictures of this "artist" signing on to get welfare that the "guys with 1 GCSE" paid their taxes for.

Kinda speaks for itself.
The art represents both the light and dark that comes with simply existing.
Reply 44
Original post by Wōden
http://metro.co.uk/2017/09/05/artist-shames-workmen-in-mcdonalds-queue-saying-they-have-1-gcse-6904234/

Here are just a few examples of Hetty Douglas' masterpieces.

hetty_6_dmfnux.jpg

Ironic really. Those lads she is mocking can probably build and repair anything. They are infinitely more useful and valuable to society than her and her sh*t tier "art" that literally any toddler could produce.

I'm an artist myself but her art.... I'm sure that carpenter's work is far more artistic than what she painted.
This kind of person infuriates me more than perhaps any other because, unlike some other people's nasty actions, they are almost certainly beyond redemption.

That's because they are operating on various cynical levels.

a) they're an artist so they might like to court controversy to raise awareness of themselves and, of course, that can help to make money.

b) they're called 'Hetty' for goodness sake. I'm totally fine with old fashioned names IF YOU ACT OLD FASHIONED. That means having
middle class restraint and treating people who you deem to be economically or educationally less advantaged or less inclined in a
respectful way that helps to grow society rather than to shrink it in to the one in your head that might be the mind of someone who isn't even true about who they are themselves. But a young Hetty being so crass, so common actually, so lower middle class in their bile (when they're probably a higher middle class) seems deceitful to me. It doesn't ring true with what her general social class might be. Which makes me think, and I don't say this lightly, she might be a little mentally ill, frustrated etc. Maybe she longs for a 'bit of rough' as a partner so that she can have a slave, like some plantation owner.

It is simply bad logic in a modern world (where a lot of qualifications are easier than they used to be anyway) to assume the level of someone's education. It shows a lack of knowledge about the British liberal past of the upper middle class, who were benevolent in some circles towards the working class, to be so snobbish.

All of which suggests to me that it's either a publicity stunt or she is mentally not well. Because her artwork is OK so it's a shame. She doesn't deserve to have a career after such an assumptive, closeted, mindset. that suggests she's not really familiar with England at any level, 'higher' or 'lower', but sits uneasily in a saggy patch inbetween.
(edited 6 years ago)
At first I thought she was despicable, then I heard another account that those men were bullying McDonalds staff, and that she wanted to teach them a lesson. If that's true, she was very stupid not to include the rest of the story in a caption. For now I won't judge her though. She comes from a working class background and it would be odd if she decided to just mock these men out of the blue. Then again people do odd things.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by fatart123
>tory
100% she voted Labour for Corbyn's handouts like most moronic students did.

Labour voters don't really make fun of labourers lol.

Making fun of labourers and having no useful skills, studying a useless degree where daddy gets you a job afterwards is stereotypically tory.
Does seem to drive the upper middle class mad when they have to queue up behind people they think are less important than they are.

anyway in her own words...

What do you stand for? What is worth standing out for?
Hetty Douglas: That’s a big question. It’s hard to say what I stand for but I would say that I believe it’s important to stand for what you want and not to shy away from that ever or compromise on what you think is right. If you want to say something, say it. I think as long as we are kind and gentle to others and, more importantly, ourselves then everything is bless.
http://www.dazeddigital.com/fashion/article/35507/1/kickstarted-artist-hetty-doulas-career-mcm

Then turns around and deletes her social media after saying something unkind
Original post by Eunomia
At first I thought she was despicable, then I heard another account that those men were bullying McDonalds staff, and that she wanted to teach them a lesson. If that's true, she was very stupid not to include the rest of the story in a caption.

It's not true. If it was she would have said. She's tried to post something funny online and unfortunately for her it's gone wrong.
I think people are going a bit too far with it all though. The witch hunt on Twitter is a bit on top, guys wanting her to have her whole life ruined because of a post she made on the internet that was a bit silly. Just because you feel like you are the good guy doing it for the 'right reasons' doesn't mean it isn't bullying, imo.
Lol, she just made a stupid post. People make immature jokes quite a lot. People need to chill and stop over-reacting.
Original post by Wōden

Ironic really. Those lads she is mocking can probably build and repair anything. They are infinitely more useful and valuable to society than her and her sh*t tier "art" that literally any toddler could produce.

Haha exactly. Find her on twitter and cuss her out.
Original post by Joinedup
Does seem to drive the upper middle class mad when they have to queue up behind people they think are less important than they are.

Yes! I realised this when I was about 15, I got into a fist fight with some hipster on the bus who got caught up his own arse. I was going school and it was raining and crowded, and there was no room and no one wanted to move up deck. So this lad at the time twice my age (so he had to be in his 30s) and a bit bigger than me at the time was in a fresh suit, and had a briefcase. And I presume he had to take the bus at this one occasion. Well he saw me and literally shoved my in my chest with both his hands with this like angry cringe and I fell on this old woman. So I literally boxed him out, hollering "Don't you EVER put your hands on me again! Whot he **** do you think you are?!" The whole entire bus was silent the whole drive he just covered his head and ran to the top deck. So I'm guessing he was mad the chav didn't bow at his presence on the bus. :hmmm:.

It reminds me of wanting black people to sit in the back like wtf. Who let the riffraff in kinda thing.
(edited 6 years ago)
I’m Hetty, and my story starts at McDonald’s. I was on my way to work in central London one morning and ran in to get some breakfast. There was a large group of guys in front of me, and some at the counter, some of who were bantering. No big drama. Quite jarring on an otherwise subdued Monday morning. I should have just let it go, but it hit a nerve so I took a photo of some of the men and posted to my Instagram account with a dig at their intelligence. Not nice and not clever and I didn’t really think it through. In the age of social media, the gap between having a thought and broadcasting it to thousands can be a few seconds.

Of course, what I did was wrong, particularly because the guys I captured in the photo weren’t the loud ones. Also they were wearing working clothes it turned out they were scaffolders and it looked like I was saying that people who do manual jobs are stupid. That’s not my view and it was me that was stupid for not seeing how it might look.

What happened next was surreal. Some people didn’t like what I’d said and made that clear to me, which was fair enough. But they also shared their disapproval on social media and before long there was a massive backlash which included threats of violence, sexist abuse and thousands of hostile posts on Twitter and other platforms. Here’s a few examples:

l really hope that one of these blokes is a blood relative with the same glint in his eye as the man that raped Hetty Douglas' mother

#hettydouglas another failed rich kid. For an artist she's rotten to the core, just another vile excuse of a ‘human’

If we're judging on looks then #hettydouglas looks like the result of an incestuious relationship that has then been raised gender neutral.

There were SO many of these #hettydouglas people at uni from London live in 2m houses, bank of mum and dad & pretending to be poor #****them

A consistent theme was that I was a posh upper class rich kid looking down on the workers like some kind of artsy Bullingdon Club snob. This irresistible narrative then attracted the attention of the tabloids with the Sun, the Mail and the Mirror piling in with headlines like

‘THAT'S A BIT RICH!‘ Posh’ artist sparks furious backlash’ and
‘Furious backlash at 'little rich girl' artist who mocked workmen’

Journalists laid siege to my mum’s house and I’ve had to temporarily move out of my houseshare. I became an instant hate figure.
The attacks were based on a web of lies. I am not posh. I come from an ordinary family in Nottingham. I went to my local comprehensive with lads like the ones in McDonalds. I’ve always worked and never had hand-outs from my parents. Yes, I’m an artist, and yes I live in south London, but I’m a grounded person and was raised to work hard for what I've got. I acted irresponsibly. Although I photographed the men from behind, the papers managed to identify one of them who was justifiably upset with me. As was his mum. I’ve written to them to say sorry because I really am.

I’m told that I’ve got no future with my career because no one will touch me. I hope that’s not true because I don’t think any fair person knowing the truth would wish that on me. For everyone else this is a cautionary tale: don’t make brash judgments on others, and certainly don’t put them on instagram.

http://www.hettydouglas.com/explanation

Seems fair enough to me.
Some apology. She still manages to turn herself into the victim.
Ironically the privileged world this entitled fool lives in was built by lads like that.
If blue collar men like them disappeared from the face of the earth the world would grinding to a halt pretty much over night.
If the Hetty Douglas' of the world disappeared over night that who the hell would notice?
Perhaps if you are on social media you should check out Justine Sacco experience.
https://youtu.be/wAIP6fI0NAI
The difference being Sacco was being ironic and didn't mean any harm, but still her life was ruined.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Just my opinion
Some apology. She still manages to turn herself into the victim.
Ironically the privileged world this entitled fool lives in was built by lads like that.
If blue collar men like them disappeared from the face of the earth the world would grinding to a halt pretty much over night.
If the Hetty Douglas' of the world disappeared over night that who the hell would notice?
Perhaps if you are on social media you should check out Justine Sacco experience.
https://youtu.be/wAIP6fI0NAI
The difference being Sacco was being ironic and didn't mean any harm, but still her life was ruined.

The reactions in both examples were ridiculous and people need to stop indulging in self-righteous fury. Hetty Douglas deserved to be criticised, but the threats and sexist abuse is unjustifiable and should not be tolerated.
The funny part is her caption is grammatically incorrect, I bet her English GCSE went well…
Reply 58
Original post by Joinedup

It does. When it happens to me I always recall the ending of a wonderful Italian book, the precursor of The Picture of Dorian Gray. The aristocratic protagonist finds himself climbing his stairs behind two porters who are transporting furniture he bought from the auction of a decayed noble friend to subtract them from new money bidders. The passage metaphorically denounces the decline of a certain part of society and the rise of the bourgeoisie. Walking behind lower class people is highly symbolic of modern, egalitarian society.
She just sounds a bit childish hopefully as she gets older she understands that world not fair and not all people have the same opportunities in life as she has.

Latest

Trending

Trending