The Student Room Group

Second thoughts on the RAF

Firstly I have to admit I didn't put much thought at all into the RAF, I thought it sounded interesting as well as the fact I didn't feel uni was for me. I applied last year when i was 17 and have just came back from my PRTC I'm just wondering at 18 is this the right thing for me to do before leaving for basic training in a month. Has anyone got any advice on what I should do because I know this could be a great opportunity but at the same time I don't know it it suits me or if its really what I want.
What will you be doing in the RAF?
Reply 2
Original post by John10101
What will you be doing in the RAF?

Supplier mate, didn't want to go for anything that looked too complicated.
Original post by StellaA99
Supplier mate, didn't want to go for anything that looked too complicated.

Well maybe find something that your passionate about and pursue that. You will be much happier and know that you are suited for it.
Reply 4
Original post by John10101
Well maybe find something that your passionate about and pursue that. You will be much happier and know that you are suited for it.

I don't really know if there is anything I'm passionate about that would be viable for a career. That's why I'm thinking RAF as it provides plenty of opportunities or at least its meant to. Just don't know if the lifestyle is right for me.
Reply 5
Just don't know if the lifestyle is right for me.

I don't really know what you're looking for here. We can't tell you if the lifestyle is right for you; we don't know you. Your the only person who can make this decision.

Think about the amount of time you've signed up for, can you do that? What will you do if you decide not to join?
I don't really know if there is anything I'm passionate about that would be viable for a career. That's why I'm thinking RAF as it provides plenty of opportunities or at least its meant to. Just don't know if the lifestyle is right for me.

If you aren't sure on it I would advise you don't continue as you need to be committed to get through the training.
Reply 7
Original post by Drewski
I don't really know what you're looking for here. We can't tell you if the lifestyle is right for you; we don't know you. Your the only person who can make this decision.

Think about the amount of time you've signed up for, can you do that? What will you do if you decide not to join?

I haven't a clue probably work some job that I'll hate, I think I'm just going to go for it and if its not for me then its not for me.
Reply 8
Original post by AlphaTango
If you aren't sure on it I would advise you don't continue as you need to be committed to get through the training.

Think I'm going to go for it and see what happens. Will probably regret it if i don't.
Reply 9
I say continue and turn up. Nobody knows if the forces are for them before they join, there's no bench mark to work from.

Just remember that you will experience peaks and troughs through training. There will be days where you will have a smile on your face, followed by others where you can't be bothered to get up and have a shave ready to stand by your bed for half an hour.

There is always the option to transfer, it's just the timelines that you will need to be patient with.
I certainly don't think your the first person to feel this way, and will not be the last. I would highly recommend you continue, get through the 10 weeks at Halton, as mundane as parts of it can be I actually enjoyed it.

Best thing I ever did was join up, I've done all sorts of things I would never have done otherwise and met loads of great people along the way!
Only thing I will suggest is if you decide to continue, do not give up during basic. Complete basic training as dropping out part way through could lead to a big regret.
We had a guy thinking of dropping out when I went through. Took the weekend to think about it, decided he would end up regretting it so stayed, got reflighted and kept going.
Don't be put off at joining so young, I joined at 24 and wish that I had joined sooner! I see the young SACs and they volunteer for everything and for an 18 year old, the opportunities are pretty sweet in certain trades for getting away and doing stuff that civvies pay loads for (that old cliche)... I'm older now and looking at a family and a quieter life in a few short years so I'm trying to fit all of the things I want to do in now before I have other priorities. I can guarantee you that you won't be too young, provided you're applying for the right reasons.

Quick Reply

Latest