The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

I want to switch to optometry very badly.

I achieved AAA* in my A-levels and I realized I chose the wrong course. I initially wanted to study pharmacy but after results day and with lots of thinking I decided to study optometry (also got some work experience) but it was too late, all places were gone. I have called Aston numerous times and I'm pretty sure they know who is calling the optometry department since I call so often hoping a place is available(hoping someone defers or switches). I really don't want to take a gap year and my parents are already angry with my decision understandably.

Is there any other option? Is it possible for me to start the course late (e.g 2 weeks in because someone drops out). I've noticed that places are still available for international students, why is it not possible for me to occupy one of those courses because I doubt anyone would want to join the course now (well besides me).

I'm so lost and depressed right now, I really want to go to this university. Any help would be appreciated. I'd appreciate a reply from the university team if it's possible.
Reply 1
Shameful Bump.
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Disgraceful bump.
Original post by john12834
I achieved AAA* in my A-levels and I realized I chose the wrong course. I initially wanted to study pharmacy but after results day and with lots of thinking I decided to study optometry (also got some work experience) but it was too late, all places were gone. I have called Aston numerous times and I'm pretty sure they know who is calling the optometry department since I call so often hoping a place is available(hoping someone defers or switches). I really don't want to take a gap year and my parents are already angry with my decision understandably.

Is there any other option? Is it possible for me to start the course late (e.g 2 weeks in because someone drops out). I've noticed that places are still available for international students, why is it not possible for me to occupy one of those courses because I doubt anyone would want to join the course now (well besides me).

I'm so lost and depressed right now, I really want to go to this university. Any help would be appreciated. I'd appreciate a reply from the university team if it's possible.

I think you're going to have to take a gap year as it's a very competitive course and probably full everything - joining late probably isn't possible unless you where a transfer student from another course within the university.
I was in the same position as you last year (different courses) and wish I'd taken the gap year to get some work experience for the course I wanted (equally as competitive as optometry) to make sure it's what I wanted to do & to get the 'edge' on UCAS.

I'm in the same position as you and I'm taking a gap year, something I never thought I would have to do. I've also been feeling really down so I understand how you might feel. I suggest you keep phoning the uni or maybe email them to keep you in mind in case anyone does drop out, but don't rely too heavily on that. Instead, get some optometry work experience so that your application is as competitive as possible then just reapply. Your grades are amazing, maybe a break from studying will be good. :smile:

Don't take what your parents say to heart and keep going because 1 year of your life isn't too long in the grand scheme of things.

Wish you all the best!
(edited 6 years ago)
Why don't you look at another university? I had a place for optometry at City University of London but gave it up for another course at another uni. The place might still be vacant as I didn't see it in clearing later on so why not give them a call - if you don't mind going to another uni besides Aston.
Reply 6
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Why don't you look at another university? I had a place for optometry at City University of London but gave it up for another course at another uni. The place might still be vacant as I didn't see it in clearing later on so why not give them a call - if you don't mind going to another uni besides Aston.

Aston is very close to my home. I can't afford to move out to be honest (unless I take a gap year and work).
Reply 7
Original post by thatusername
I'm in the same position as you and I'm taking a gap year, something I never thought I would have to do. I've also been feeling really down so I understand how you might feel. I suggest you keep phoning the uni or maybe email them to keep you in mind in case anyone does drop out, but don't rely too heavily on that. Instead, get some optometry work experience so that your application is as competitive as possible then just reapply. Your grades are amazing, maybe a break from studying will be good. :smile:

Don't take what your parents say to heart and keep going because 1 year of your life isn't too long in the grand scheme of things.

Wish you all the best!

Thanks, I do feel a gap year would do me some good because I feel like a child in an adults body right now. If you don't mind me asking, what course are you trying to get into?
Reply 8
Original post by Ruby1997
I think you're going to have to take a gap year as it's a very competitive course and probably full everything - joining late probably isn't possible unless you where a transfer student from another course within the university.
I was in the same position as you last year (different courses) and wish I'd taken the gap year to get some work experience for the course I wanted (equally as competitive as optometry) to make sure it's what I wanted to do & to get the 'edge' on UCAS.

Did you end up doing a course you didn't want to do?
Did you end up doing a course you didn't want to do?

Yes and it's caused me so many issues. If your hearts not in it, don't do it! ☺️
Thanks, I do feel a gap year would do me some good because I feel like a child in an adults body right now. If you don't mind me asking, what course are you trying to get into?

No problem, and I'm thinking of applying for optometry now too but I originally applied for a different course. I had a uni place through clearing but I really want to retake some exams first and make sure I'm choosing the right degree. Don't really want to regret my choices later on in life :redface:
Reply 11
Contemptible Bump.
Any luck?
Original post by Ruby1997
Yes and it's caused me so many issues. If your hearts not in it, don't do it! ☺️

What if your heart's not in anything, apparently?

Quick Reply

Latest