The Student Room Group

has anyone ever gone from bad alevels to a first class degree?

I am DETERMINED to get a first, by working from day one of uni. i will not rest until i get a first. I'm going to be staying in when my flatmates go out, and be in the library most of the time. I want to obviously enjoy my uni experience and have fun but i don't know if i can if i want a first z

Also for my alevels i flopped and although i did try hard i just couldn't do it and i ruined everything
Original post by Lucyjjx
I am DETERMINED to get a first, by working from day one of uni. i will not rest until i get a first. I'm going to be staying in when my flatmates go out, and be in the library most of the time. I want to obviously enjoy my uni experience and have fun but i don't know if i can if i want a first z

Also for my alevels i flopped and although i did try hard i just couldn't do it and i ruined everything

What do you mean by 'flopped'?
Reply 2
Original post by MajorFader
What do you mean by 'flopped'?

CCCD
they arent flopped they are still good grades and yes i know people who have got those grades worse who have got a first
Original post by Lucyjjx

This is a mistake I see a lot of undergraduate students make. By all means, study hard and go for that first class degree. However, don't go studying every single day at the expense of doing other activities that may enhance your CV to the same extent or if not more than a first class degree would, such as seeking placement/internship/volunteering opportunities or taking part in university societies. I know far too many graduates who simply sat in the library for 3/4 years, got a first, and now struggle to find any kind of real work because that's all they have - a first class degree - which is just one element of an application. You need work experience, interesting achievements outside of your academic work, and so on. A first class degree by itself will get you no where in life.
(edited 6 years ago)
I know people with zero/very few qualifications who have come out of university with a first.
Original post by harrymasters
they arent flopped they are still good grades and yes i know people who have got those grades worse who have got a first

Please don't lie - they are not good grades, and the OP knows it.

Original post by Lucyjjx

Why didn't you do better in your 'A' levels? If you 'tried hard' with them, why do you think that doing the same will give results at university?

University is very different from school, and the new environment may well suit you better. However, I'd be looking into why you didn't do better in your 'A' levels - you will be building on at least some of those at university. Good luck!
Original post by RogerOxon
Please don't lie - they are not good grades, and the OP knows it.

Considering the average A level grade, nationally, is around the C/D mark they are not bad grades either.

They are only perceived as bad because of OP's own expectations and perceptions.
Original post by RogerOxon
Why didn't you do better in your 'A' levels? If you 'tried hard' with them, why do you think that doing the same will give results at university?

University is very different from school, and the new environment may well suit you better. However, I'd be looking into why you didn't do better in your 'A' levels - you will be building on at least some of those at university. Good luck!

they are average grades* which arent the very best but they arent the worst

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending