The Student Room Group

Declaring AS Results?

I got told by one teacher that I have to, and by another that I don't. Do you have to declare any AS results you got after taking exams in the summer if they're external? Or do you only have to do that for modular subjects such as maths and not for linear subjects such as the sciences?
Original post by United2810
I got told by one teacher that I have to, and by another that I don't. Do you have to declare any AS results you got after taking exams in the summer if they're external? Or do you only have to do that for modular subjects such as maths and not for linear subjects such as the sciences?

All external ones have to be declared
Reply 2
Original post by rhaegal100
All external ones have to be declared

How much do universities actually look at ASs? Or does it depend on each uni? I've phoned up a lot of them and they didn't really give much of an answer. Also is it unrealistic to be predicted a B if I got an E at AS?
How much do universities actually look at ASs? Or does it depend on each uni? I've phoned up a lot of them and they didn't really give much of an answer. Also is it unrealistic to be predicted a B if I got an E at AS?

Depends. yes.
Reply 4
Original post by DreamlinerFinder
Depends. yes.

I got an E in AS physics however I had a bad exam but I was originally predicted to get B/C. My teachers said that if I get a high grade in mocks that we do this year, they will predict me a B which is what I need for uni. How would I explain this to the unis I apply to and would they reject me for this even though I'll have worked for it in class? Confused about the whole situation.
I got an E in AS physics however I had a bad exam but I was originally predicted to get B/C. My teachers said that if I get a high grade in mocks that we do this year, they will predict me a B which is what I need for uni. How would I explain this to the unis I apply to and would they reject me for this even though I'll have worked for it in class? Confused about the whole situation.

Firstly, that stuff goes in the reference, but an E as an AS, and teachers predicting a B would lead me to believe that the Uni will ignore the teacher and use the public exam.
Reply 6
Firstly, that stuff goes in the reference, but an E as an AS, and teachers predicting a B would lead me to believe that the Uni will ignore the teacher and use the public exam.

Would that mean my application will get rejected? Most aerospace engineering courses want AAB-ABB for predicted grades, but I understand that a B in physics is unrealistic, what about a C?

Do you think it would be better to just retake the year considering I got a C in maths, D in further and another E in chemistry. (once again bad exam in each subject)
Would that mean my application will get rejected? Most aerospace engineering courses want AAB-ABB for predicted grades, but I understand that a B in physics is unrealistic, what about a C?

Do you think it would be better to just retake the year considering I got a C in maths, D in further and another E in chemistry. (once again bad exam in each subject)

D is a realistic predicted grade, but I'd say with those grades retake.
Reply 8
D is a realistic predicted grade, but I'd say with those grades retake.

Retake the year? Yeah seems most sensible choice rn although my maths teachers thinks I can get an A in maths and B in further, it's just the physics aspect which is lacking. I was suggested to go to the Y12+13 lessons for physics in order to boost my ground knowledge but it's all about getting the offers first isn't it.
Retake the year? Yeah seems most sensible choice rn although my maths teachers thinks I can get an A in maths and B in further, it's just the physics aspect which is lacking. I was suggested to go to the Y12+13 lessons for physics in order to boost my ground knowledge but it's all about getting the offers first isn't it.

Honestly, I'm unsure about how best to advise you further. @Doonesbury, can you help out please as I'm lost
Honestly, I'm unsure about how best to advise you further. @Doonesbury, can you help out please as I'm lost

You and me both mate, I've had this problem since results day and I don't even have a gut feeling about what to do. If Doonesbury can help out I'd appreciate to hear his view and advice on my situation.
Reply 11

If your teachers think you can get an A in Maths and B in Further Maths, then you're better off carrying on to year 13. Your physics grade this year has no bearing on your grade next year, so if your physics grade was an anomaly, you can still do well at the end of your course and get ABB.

Your teachers may be able to explain your poor grade in your reference. But even with ABC predicted grades, you'll get an offer from at least one uni, and you can try for another uni through adjustment. And if worst comes to worst, you can just take a gap year and apply through the next cycle.

If you resit a year, you'll make it much harder for yourself because your maths and further maths qualifications will become reformed making it harder for you to get an A and B.
Original post by Desmos
If your teachers think you can get an A in Maths and B in Further Maths, then you're better off carrying on to year 13. Your physics grade this year has no bearing on your grade next year, so if your physics grade was an anomaly, you can still do well at the end of your course and get ABB.

Your teachers may be able to explain your poor grade in your reference. But even with ABC predicted grades, you'll get an offer from at least one uni, and you can try for another uni through adjustment. And if worst comes to worst, you can just take a gap year and apply through the next cycle.

If you resit a year, you'll make it much harder for yourself because your maths and further maths qualifications will become reformed making it harder for you to get an A and B.

Head of Maths spoke very highly of me in a meeting he had with the Head of Science. But yeah I'm confident I can get an A and B in maths and further by resitting the modules I need to.

So would my reference need to say that the E in the AS was an anomaly? I'm thinking that as long I get the A and the B in the maths, then I could go into clearing with even a C in physics like you said. I think I'm going to phone up the unis I have looked at and ask them bluntly on their position on AS grades. Some don't look at them or take them into consideration, some do.

Yes yes, that's my main issue with not redoing the year, maths and further are getting reformed and becoming linear. The spec is a bit harder and the modules are added together to create new papers. Thanks for the help and advice!
Head of Maths spoke very highly of me in a meeting he had with the Head of Science. But yeah I'm confident I can get an A and B in maths and further by resitting the modules I need to.

So would my reference need to say that the E in the AS was an anomaly? I'm thinking that as long I get the A and the B in the maths, then I could go into clearing with even a C in physics like you said. I think I'm going to phone up the unis I have looked at and ask them bluntly on their position on AS grades. Some don't look at them or take them into consideration, some do.

Yes yes, that's my main issue with not redoing the year, maths and further are getting reformed and becoming linear. The spec is a bit harder and the modules are added together to create new papers. Thanks for the help and advice!

Yes, the AS E is worth mentioning in the reference.
Reply 14

All externally examined subject grades have to be declared. So yes all your ASs.

Some do, most don't so much. Bristol, for example, doesn't care about ASs.

It's up to your school to make your predictions. If they think you can get a B then so be it. If it's any consolation I've seen someone go from U in a PPE to a B in their A-level.

See above.

Your challenge will be getting the Maths & FM up to scratch.

TBH, if your teachers support you just proceed to Y13 without retakes.

Because ASs are no longer coupled to A2 (except for Maths) I think it's fine not to retake.
Yes, the AS E is worth mentioning in the reference.

So basically I've just got to revise the **** out of Physics this year then. I think me going to the Y12 lessons as well will help massively as it will plug the gaps where I can expand my knowledge and go over anything I didn't quite understand. Thanks for the help :smile:
Original post by Doonesbury
All externally examined subject grades have to be declared. So yes all your ASs.

"All externally examined subject grades have to be declared. So yes all your ASs."

What if an individual took external exams and got poor AS grades this year, then decided to retake year 12 but did internal exams this time round instead.
Would they have to declare those poor AS grades or only the grades for the internal exams?
Reply 17
Original post by LifeIsSoHard
"All externally examined subject grades have to be declared. So yes all your ASs."

What if an individual took external exams and got poor AS grades this year, then decided to retake year 12 but did internal exams this time round instead.
Would they have to declare those poor AS grades or only the grades for the internal exams?

Internal exams aren't qualifications. They can be mentioned by your referee, but shouldn't go on UCAS. The original ASs, though, must go on UCAS.

Quick Reply

Latest