The Student Room Group

Been dealing with people wrong?

When people talk down to me. I always just pretend to agree with them/acknowledge what they say. Especially when they are older people.

I do this because I know myself, and I know that people like to talk like they know everything.

This is wrong, the best thing to do is call them out on the spot. Tell them that they dont know ****.

Examples: Someone telling me that my degree choice at a top uni will result in Tesco after graduating.

People gossiping about me behind my back.

I am so angry, and I am never doing this moral highground approach again. Sometimes, if you want change its about changing from peaceful to direct.

I would rather be disliked than treated like a fool.
Original post by Anonymous
When people talk down to me. I always just pretend to agree with them/acknowledge what they say. Especially when they are older people.

I do this because I know myself, and I know that people like to talk like they know everything.

This is wrong, the best thing to do is call them out on the spot. Tell them that they dont know ****.

Examples: Someone telling me that my degree choice at a top uni will result in Tesco after graduating.

People gossiping about me behind my back.

I am so angry, and I am never doing this moral highground approach again. Sometimes, if you want change its about changing from peaceful to direct.

I would rather be disliked than treated like a fool.

Mmm ok then. Enjoy your rage and shake your fist every few minutes. If you call everyone out then that will be empowering.
Reply 2
What degree are you wanting to do? Perhaps these 'older people' aren't trying to patronise you but rather give you some sincere advice.
I understand. People will say the "don't lower yourself to their level" but in hindsight it doesn't matter how you respond. Society is ****ed and morals are meaningless now. Being the 'better' person doesn't reward you, it's lets them get away with it. Fight fire with fire. They deserve what they get.
If its people who are failures, in a more pathetic position then more, or people I dont care about, I usually just ignore them, and like you used to do pretend to acknowledge, because frankly, i'm better than that uncle who has lost everything, sleeps in my room and still tells me i'm thick and im going to do bad at GCSE's. Yeah right, go and cook some curry for your freshi customers sasa

If its people I hate, or they have a grudge against me, I give them **** back. Lol, it feels so good just giving **** to someone when they deserve it. There often in a more pathetic position than me too. But most of the time, I don't care. Although in my life, being the "nice" guy really has come off with positives, sometimes you got to fight back otherwise your going to be taken advantage of. I learnt that the hard way.

I agree. I'd much rather be disliked, hated even then be treated like a fool, BY A FOOL
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Leftee
What degree are you wanting to do? Perhaps these 'older people' aren't trying to patronise you but rather give you some sincere advice.

History lol...

I am a student who uses TSR, i am sure i know more about my degree prospects than someone who is from a completely different academic background. Its not like I just woke up one day and said I would do History without any research, experience etc... Its the subject I love and i will never let someone talk down on my dream again
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
Mmm ok then. Enjoy your rage and shake your fist every few minutes. If you call everyone out then that will be empowering.

Major positive change throughout History has come from being direct and "shaking your fist". I will never let people walk over me or talk down to me.

Its not rage its called being assertive and standing up for yourself.
Reply 7
Original post by mc_miah
If its people who are failures, in a more pathetic position then more, or people I dont care about, I usually just ignore them, and like you used to do pretend to acknowledge, because frankly, i'm better than that uncle who has lost everything, sleeps in my room and still tells me i'm thick and im going to do bad at GCSE's. Yeah right, go and cook some curry for your freshi customers sasa

If its people I hate, or they have a grudge against me, I give them **** back. Lol, it feels so good just giving **** to someone when they deserve it. There often in a more pathetic position than me too. But most of the time, I don't care. Although in my life, being the "nice" guy really has come off with positives, sometimes you got to fight back otherwise your going to be taken advantage of. I learnt that the hard way.

I agree. I'd much rather be disliked, hated even then be treated like a fool, BY A FOOL

In my opinion you need to balance being the nice guy with being assertive.
Major positive change throughout History has come from being direct and "shaking your fist". I will never let people walk over me or talk down to me.

Its not rage its called being assertive and standing up for yourself.

OK, but theres always a time and a place. If you have been a doormat then dont knee jerk in the opposite direction and pick your battles. being assertive doesnt have to mean shaking your fist.
Btw my point was just be thoughtful when you decide who to call out and when. Sometimes its better to ignore and pay no attention.
Original post by 999tigger
Btw my point was just be thoughtful when you decide who to call out and when. Sometimes its better to ignore and pay no attention.

Thanks, I understand and agree. Yday I was really wound up by something :smile:
Thanks, I understand and agree. Yday I was really wound up by something :smile:

Thats fine. Sometimes when you are always used to turning the other cheek you can snap and then the response is all the other way. be smart and pick your battles, sometimes its easier just to ignore and avoid, but some things you do need to make a stand. that will work out better for you as you wont feel like a doormat, but you dont exhaust yourself fighting battles that you may win but end up costing too much energy.

Sometimes knowing you are right is enough and its impossible the other person will accept or be able to take in they are wrong, then you should know when its a waste of time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending