The Student Room Group

chemistry a level

I find it hard and got a B in gcse sciences and an 6 in maths. I wanna get a B
Reply 1
What do you need help with? Do you want a question answered?
Reply 2
Original post by Cri7R
I find it hard and got a B in gcse sciences and an 6 in maths. I wanna get a B

I also got a B at GCSE and found it really tough, but managed to get a solid A out of A Level! If you have any questions let me know 😊
Reply 3
the arrangement of sub atomic particles

and whats your advice on revision please you seem like you know
Reply 4
Original post by Cri7R
the arrangement of sub atomic particles

and whats your advice on revision please you seem like you know

Here are some brief notes I've made on this topic already. Hope they help.

The subatomic particles

Atoms are composed of protons, neutrons and electrons. The nucleus is made up of only protons and neutrons; these are also known as nucleons.

The arrangement of the subatomic particles

The nucleons are in the centre of an atom held together by strong nuclear force. The nucleus is surrounded by electrons which come in orbits.

Mass number and atomic number

The number of protons in the nucleus is called the atomic number. The number of electrons is equal to the proton number, creating an overall neutral charge.

The total number of electrons and protons is called the mass number.

Isotopes

An isotope is an atom with a variation in the number of neutrons in the nuclei. Different isotopes react exactly in the same way because the electrons are intact.

The atom and electrons

1913 Niels Bohr believed that the atom consisted of a positively charged nucleus surrounded by negatively charged electrons.

1926 Erwin Schrödinger worked out an equation that uses the idea that the electrons had some of the properties of waves and particles. This is called quantum mechanics.

1932 James Chadwick discovered the neutron. He put forward the following ideas:

The inertness of the noble gases was related to them having full outer shells of electrons

Ions were formed by atoms losing or gaining electrons to attain full outer shells

Atoms could also bond by sharing electrons to form full outer shells

Reply 5
Original post by Ed5
I also got a B at GCSE and found it really tough, but managed to get a solid A out of A Level! If you have any questions let me know 😊

how to revise for chemistry like revision techniques. Like how to revise how to take notes and do well in mocks etc even though i find it really hard
Reply 6
Original post by erxci
Here are some brief notes I've made on this topic already. Hope they help.

The subatomic particles

Atoms are composed of protons, neutrons and electrons. The nucleus is made up of only protons and neutrons; these are also known as nucleons.

The arrangement of the subatomic particles

The nucleons are in the centre of an atom held together by strong nuclear force. The nucleus is surrounded by electrons which come in orbits.

Mass number and atomic number

The number of protons in the nucleus is called the atomic number. The number of electrons is equal to the proton number, creating an overall neutral charge.

The total number of electrons and protons is called the mass number.

Isotopes

An isotope is an atom with a variation in the number of neutrons in the nuclei. Different isotopes react exactly in the same way because the electrons are intact.

The atom and electrons

1913 Niels Bohr believed that the atom consisted of a positively charged nucleus surrounded by negatively charged electrons.

1926 Erwin Schrödinger worked out an equation that uses the idea that the electrons had some of the properties of waves and particles. This is called quantum mechanics.

1932 James Chadwick discovered the neutron. He put forward the following ideas:

The inertness of the noble gases was related to them having full outer shells of electrons

Ions were formed by atoms losing or gaining electrons to attain full outer shells

Atoms could also bond by sharing electrons to form full outer shells

Thank you ever so much hope that chemistry gets a better if not then i don't even know
Reply 7
Original post by Cri7R
how to revise for chemistry like revision techniques. Like how to revise how to take notes and do well in mocks etc even though i find it really hard

I've never been the best at revising (always end up cramming) - if you search tsr or online there are loads of articles on how to revise effectively, these can probably help you more than I can!

One technique that did really help though was group revision within a few weeks of the exam: we would work through papers together and, since we all had different strengths, explain different concepts to one another. I found this combo of learning and teaching really useful, and it also helped negate the boredom of revision!

Quick Reply

Latest