The Student Room Group

Electronic handbrake

Hi, I have passed my test 2 weeks ago, I learned in a Toyota Auris with a manual handbrake, we got an Audi q3 with an electronic handbrake which I find to be the most annoying thing ever and I just can't get used to it... I stopped using it all together but I stalled 3 times on a hill last week and took a massive confidence knock when it comes to driving so my question is - How the hell do you make it work on a hill start without any jerks etc ? Do you bring the clutch up first and then hit accelerator till it disengages itself ? I just don't understand the damn thing at all, I don't bother with it like I said but I need to use it on hill starts it seems ! It's a diesel car, 2.0 engine and manual gearbox. Somebody help
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Nica19904
Hi, I have passed my test 2 weeks ago, I learned in a Toyota Auris with a manual handbrake, we got an Audi q3 with an electronic handbrake which I find to be the most annoying thing ever and I just can't get used to it... I stopped using it all together but I stalled 3 times on a hill last week and took a massive confidence knock when it comes to driving so my question is - How the hell do you make it work on a hill start without any jerks etc ? Do you bring the clutch up first and then hit accelerator till it disengages itself ? I just don't understand the damn thing at all, I don't bother with it like I said but I need to use it on hill starts it seems ! It's a diesel car, 2.0 engine and manual gearbox. Somebody help

The same way you would use a normal handbrake, just it's a button instead of a lever...? What's hard to grasp?
Reply 2
You obviously don't know how it works at all so thanks for nothing .
Reply 3
You obviously don't know how it works at all so thanks for nothing .

I have an electronic parking brake so.. I sorta do..

:facepalm:
I think most turn off as soon as you hit the accelerator.

It seems like the q3 is the same:
https://www.audi.co.uk/glossary/e/electromechanical-parking-brake.html

I might be wrong though and that article just for autos.
IWMTom might be right!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by carpetguy

IWMTom might be right!

Some require manual release, some automatically release when the clutch and throttle are applied.

Regardless, the OPs problem is that they can't do a hill start at all - not that they can't do a hill start with an EPB.
Reply 6
Original post by IWMTom
Some require manual release, some automatically release when the clutch and throttle are applied.

Regardless, the OPs problem is that they can't do a hill start at all - not that they can't do a hill start with an EPB.

No, my problem is not that I don't know how to do a hill start at all! You seem to know it all please move on.
Reply 7
No, my problem is not that I don't know how to do a hill start at all! You seem to know it all please move on.

Why are you having trouble doing a hill start then, genius?
Reply 8

IWMTom might be right!

It does disengage automatically when you move off and it's great but on a hill it just doesn't seem to do that ... I was looking for advice as I have read loads about it and it seems easy when you read it but my car just doesn't do it for some reason...
Reply 9
It does disengage automatically when you move off and it's great but on a hill it just doesn't seem to do that ... I was looking for advice as I have read loads about it and it seems easy when you read it but my car just doesn't do it for some reason...

Disengage it manually then...? Sigh..
Reply 10
Original post by IWMTom
Disengage it manually then...? Sigh..

Jesus Christ ! I don't want to disengage it manually as it should disengage as I move off. I didn't use the electric handbrake last time and I stalled. What's the point putting it on and then having to disengage it manually when you have to keep your foot on the brake to disengage it and then you have to move your feet very quickly to clutch and accelerator, it can be a bit much for a new driver and I can guarantee you most would stall ! But you know it all genius... so
Reply 11
Jesus Christ ! I don't want to disengage it manually as it should disengage as I move off. I didn't use the electric handbrake last time and I stalled. What's the point putting it on and then having to disengage it manually when you have to keep your foot on the brake to disengage it and then you have to move your feet very quickly to clutch and accelerator, it can be a bit much for a new driver and I can guarantee you most would stall ! But you know it all genius... so

Perhaps you're not trying hard enough to move off? Do a hill start assist if someone else was controlling the handbrake - pretend it doesn't exist.
Reply 12
Original post by IWMTom
Perhaps you're not trying hard enough to move off? Do a hill start assist if someone else was controlling the handbrake - pretend it doesn't exist.

What does it exactly mean that I don't try hard enough to move off ? 🙄 again I only passed 2 weeks ago and my instructor would tell me to use the handbrake all the time so I wasn't thought to do a hill start any other way... since passing I didn't have to do a hill start like that and I tried to do it without using the handbrake and I stalled. I tried to do a hill start with the handbrake on today to practice and it just wouldn't disengage even though I had it on 2000 revs and clutch at biting point or so I thought
How hilly is your area? You should be able to hill start without the handbrake, just the footbrake.

Try it. It varies with the car, but you can usually get the point where you're stationary/edgin forward without any gas. Then just wang it down and lift the clutch.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 14
What does it exactly mean that I don't try hard enough to move off ? 🙄 again I only passed 2 weeks ago and my instructor would tell me to use the handbrake all the time so I wasn't thought to do a hill start any other way... since passing I didn't have to do a hill start like that and I tried to do it without using the handbrake and I stalled. I tried to do a hill start with the handbrake on today to practice and it just wouldn't disengage even though I had it on 2000 revs and clutch at biting point or so I thought

So give it more gas and you won't stall...
Learn to hold the car on a hill with just the clutch. Won't do your clutch any favours though

The only reason I can think of as to why it won't disengage automatically is whether the hill start assist forces you to use manual control on a hill.
Have a look to see if its a setting you can configure with the car itself
Reply 16
How hilly is your area? You should be able to hill start without the handbrake, just the footbrake.

Try it. It varies with the car, but you can usually get the point where you're stationary/edgin forward without any gas. Then just wang it down and lift the clutch.

It's one of the biggest hills in the city I'm talking about... once you're on the top you can see the whole city 🙈 that big. I know it will all come with experience but I get massively frustrated when I do something wrong and I'm not used to stalling and making everybody wait !
Reply 17
Original post by dickwhittington
Learn to hold the car on a hill with just the clutch. Won't do your clutch any favours though

The only reason I can think of as to why it won't disengage automatically is whether the hill start assist forces you to use manual control on a hill.
Have a look to see if its a setting you can configure with the car itself

I think it does have hill assist feature as when I'm on a slight incline and attempt to move off it feels like the car is holding itself for a second or so after I took my foot of the brake
Should probably do some learner refresher lessons if you can't hill start with an electronic handbrake
Reply 19
Original post by dial595esc
Should probably do some learner refresher lessons if you can't hill start with an electronic handbrake

Completely agree.

Stalling doesn't happen if you apply enough gas.

Quick Reply

Latest