The Student Room Group

If your GF/BF exposed you to Hepatitis B virus through sex would you leave her?

We had sex loads of times. She is a lifelong carrier of Hepatitis b. HOWEVER, she says she is in the inactive state and hence she claims she is NOT INFECTIOUS and so she did not risk my health by not telling me before hand. Yet, from my research some people including doctors claim that it could be infectious even in the inactive state, just that the chance of infection is very very low (close to zero). She told me after six months of dating that she is a lifelong carrier of hepatitis b.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

so a woman has risked your life every time you had sex and you think thats ok. if it was hiv she could be doing time. if you have an infectious illness its a must to inform their partners before a sex act accures. obviously even then safe sex must be practiced. in fact she has committed a crime. Prosecutions have happened, not just for HIV but also for sexual transmission of other infections - for example hepatitis B and C. in scotland she commits a crime by failing to protect you.

When is someone found guilty of reckless HIV transmission?

In England and Wales, you may be found guilty of reckless HIV transmission if all of the below apply:

You had sex with someone who didn’t know you had HIV.

You knew you had HIV at that time.

You understood how HIV is transmitted.

You had sex without a condom.

You transmitted HIV to that person.

The situation is mostly the same in Scotland. However, there is the added possibility of a case being brought even if transmission hasn’t taken place, but where a person has been put at risk without their prior consent or knowledge.
you do need to ask ho she caught it if from sex then what other illness is she carrying. run away as fast as you can.
Reply 2
Original post by paulbarlow
so a woman has risked your life every time you had sex and you think thats ok. if it was hiv she could be doing time. if you have an infectious illness its a must to inform their partners before a sex act accures. obviously even then safe sex must be practiced. in fact she has committed a crime. Prosecutions have happened, not just for HIV but also for sexual transmission of other infections - for example hepatitis B and C. in scotland she commits a crime by failing to protect you.

When is someone found guilty of reckless HIV transmission?

In England and Wales, you may be found guilty of reckless HIV transmission if all of the below apply:

You had sex with someone who didn’t know you had HIV.

You knew you had HIV at that time.

You understood how HIV is transmitted.

You had sex without a condom.

You transmitted HIV to that person.

The situation is mostly the same in Scotland. However, there is the added possibility of a case being brought even if transmission hasn’t taken place, but where a person has been put at risk without their prior consent or knowledge.
you do need to ask ho she caught it if from sex then what other illness is she carrying. run away as fast as you can.

she got it from her mother at birth..
she has risked your life. every time she was placing you in serious risk. you now need to get tested and if your luck and clear. you need to get the hep b vaccine. you need to practice total barrier sex any intimate contact will expose you. if your planning on staying with her (i would not. not because of the infection but the trust issue and what she could have done) she needs to see a sexual health Councillor. this really cant be treated lightly. be aware a carrier can be fully healthy but they can be shedding virus ,

Management of Inactive HBsAg Carrier

Differentiation from chronic HBsAg negative hepatitis B, requires serial testing of ALT and HBV DNA for one year before designating carrier state [49]. In subject with inactive carrier state testing of HBV DNA and liver biopsy are not recommended. Treatment is not recommended as there is no evidence that available therapy affects HBsAg status. Family screening with HBsAg and anti-HBs, if negative vaccinate them and success of vaccination should be confirmed with anti-HBs testing. Protected sexual intercourse until partner has developed protective antibodies. The offspring need active and passive vaccination [4,47]. Use of alcohol should be avoided, possibility of reactivation or super infection by other viruses and advised if there is jaundice, malaise or increased fatigue. Regular follow-up at every 6–12 months intervals with ALT [4]. If the age of the patient is more than 50 yrs family history of HCC-AFP and ultrasonography every 6–12 monthly should be done. Universal precaution should be taken while treating these patients in the hospital. They should not be allowed to donate the blood or organ or semen. For pregnant women vaccinate the new born at birth with active and passive immunization with in 12 hours of the birth, close monitoring required if undergoing chemotherapy or immunosuppressive medication.
Reply 4
she has risked your life. every time she was placing you in serious risk. you now need to get tested and if your luck and clear. you need to get the hep b vaccine. you need to practice total barrier sex any intimate contact will expose you. if your planning on staying with her (i would not. not because of the infection but the trust issue and what she could have done) she needs to see a sexual health Councillor. this really cant be treated lightly. be aware a carrier can be fully healthy but they can be shedding virus ,

Management of Inactive HBsAg Carrier

Differentiation from chronic HBsAg negative hepatitis B, requires serial testing of ALT and HBV DNA for one year before designating carrier state [49]. In subject with inactive carrier state testing of HBV DNA and liver biopsy are not recommended. Treatment is not recommended as there is no evidence that available therapy affects HBsAg status. Family screening with HBsAg and anti-HBs, if negative vaccinate them and success of vaccination should be confirmed with anti-HBs testing. Protected sexual intercourse until partner has developed protective antibodies. The offspring need active and passive vaccination [4,47]. Use of alcohol should be avoided, possibility of reactivation or super infection by other viruses and advised if there is jaundice, malaise or increased fatigue. Regular follow-up at every 6–12 months intervals with ALT [4]. If the age of the patient is more than 50 yrs family history of HCC-AFP and ultrasonography every 6–12 monthly should be done. Universal precaution should be taken while treating these patients in the hospital. They should not be allowed to donate the blood or organ or semen. For pregnant women vaccinate the new born at birth with active and passive immunization with in 12 hours of the birth, close monitoring required if undergoing chemotherapy or immunosuppressive medication.

I agree to what you have said, however, i do not feel or think anyone would intentionally put me at risk? especially someone who i've known since childhood? on the other hand it could also be that she had sex to make sure she has got a grip around me such that when she reveals her hepatitis b i do not even consider leaving her and that im so blinded by love i do not consider the hep b to be a factor?

After around 2 weeks of no communication this is what she texted ..

I have been thinking a lot bwt you..im really sorry for all what has happened..i genuinely am! You mean a lot to me! I can understand you through this pain..had i known that i have even half a percent chance of putting you at any risk forget being physical i wudnt have just dated you (god is my witness there) i want you to be happy and live an amazing perfect life even if that means me and you never being together.Im really truely sorry! And honestly thank you for everything! You are an amazing wonderful person and i want nothing but the best for you! I never even told my closest cousins bwt my condition, so you can imgine that i never thought this wud affect you or us in any way!It just ddnt even pass my mind for even a second as all my family members have lived and been safe for over 50years, infact a few have died aftr 80smthng. You are the last person on earth i would wana see unhappy! Your happiness means the world to me! Please find it in your heart to forgive me and atleast try to understand me..i honestly wish you an amazing life ahead! (A kind of life you have always wanted) And i hope you get all that you have ever wished for..I cant believe it that i, out of all the pple in this world, hurt you as im some1 who wud never ever do that..even though it wasnt intentionally but somehow i have and i cant believe it that i did that..”

What do you think about this? Genuine? Why has it come after a bit of time? maybe she really didnt know she is infectious but now she realised?How do you interpret this?cheers
(edited 6 years ago)
sorry i cant say. get tested it probably is a low chance of getting it but not impossible. she would have been warned of this. so the waffle about meaning you no harm in her mind may be true but in reality she risked your life. you could have needed a liver transplant. so if you love her and are willing to forgive then make sure your ok and immune. have a talk to your doctor. if you can get past it good for you. just be very sure about this woman if she lies about serious issues then could she be lying about others. im not trying to spoil your relationship but it does need asking.
Original post by viviva
We had sex loads of times. She is a lifelong carrier of Hepatitis b. HOWEVER, she says she is in the inactive state and hence she claims she is NOT INFECTIOUS and so she did not risk my health by not telling me before hand. Yet, from my research some people including doctors claim that it could be infectious even in the inactive state, just that the chance of infection is very very low (close to zero). She told me after six months of dating that she is a lifelong carrier of hepatitis b.

I would advise you attend a sexual health clinic.

you can be tested for the disease and then get vaccinated against it (it is now entering the vaccine shedule for babies funnily enough as of this summer).

As for the relationship part of the problem...
Reply 7
Original post by Jamie
I would advise you attend a sexual health clinic.

you can be tested for the disease and then get vaccinated against it (it is now entering the vaccine shedule for babies funnily enough as of this summer).

As for the relationship part of the problem...

haha..no actually..what do you think as for the relationship part? (just your opinion)..read my comments above
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
sorry i cant say. get tested it probably is a low chance of getting it but not impossible. she would have been warned of this. so the waffle about meaning you no harm in her mind may be true but in reality she risked your life. you could have needed a liver transplant. so if you love her and are willing to forgive then make sure your ok and immune. have a talk to your doctor. if you can get past it good for you. just be very sure about this woman if she lies about serious issues then could she be lying about others. im not trying to spoil your relationship but it does need asking.

hey, thats the very reason i am here asking this question. I dont know if she knew she was putting me at risk or she was unaware...or if she thought the risk is minimal so she took a chance..I REALLY DONT KNOW. Im at a cross roads as i love her to the moon and i believe she loves me to the moon too, however, my worry is if she thought by giving me sex and making herself the centre of my life i would never dare to leave her when she reveals her hepatitis b..as opposed to if she told me earlier. I cant make up my mind ..?
restart the relationship. explain to her that your extremely hurt and upset that she did not trust you to stay with her if she told you. tell her if you two have a future it must be based on trust both ways. honesty is always the best way. if its worth keeping you will have to try. dont forget your safety get checked get immune and total safe sex. i hope it works out for you. if not its not your fault. i still dont understand her reasoning if you love someone you dont risk them.
Reply 10
restart the relationship. explain to her that your extremely hurt and upset that she did not trust you to stay with her if she told you. tell her if you two have a future it must be based on trust both ways. honesty is always the best way. if its worth keeping you will have to try. dont forget your safety get checked get immune and total safe sex. i hope it works out for you. if not its not your fault. i still dont understand her reasoning if you love someone you dont risk them.

Yehh im not 100% sure about restarting it because somehow i feel all this was deliberate and planned. Not everyone would agree to potentially date/marry someone with hep b for the rest of their lives and so she laid this web and got me stuck in it so that when she revealed it to me there was no way to get out (in her plan) because i would be that deep in it, committed and in love that i couldn't see otherwise apart from her and that leaving her would simply not be a option if she gave me everything. and a 6 months wait to reveal itself is making me question her..and potentially she was showing me her best side but there could be another side which she was hiding for this reason and therefore she may change in the future...So there was a lack of being genuine, honest, don't you think?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by viviva
Yehh im not 100% sure about restarting it because somehow i feel all this was deliberate and planned. Not everyone would agree to potentially date/marry someone with hep b for the rest of their lives and so she laid this web and got me stuck in it so that when she revealed it to me there was no way to get out (in her plan) because i would be that deep in it, committed and in love that i couldn't see otherwise apart from her and that leaving her would simply not be a option if she gave me everything. and a 6 months wait to reveal itself is making me question her..and potentially she was showing me her best side but there could be another side which she was hiding for this reason and therefore she may change in the future...So there was a lack of being genuine, honest, don't you think?

How long have you known this girl, how old are you now and how long have you been been dating and how long did you wait in the relationship before having sex? I'm sorry for the intrusive questions.
yes i do. that if me would be my main worry.that needs explaining to her. and its really down to her to seriously adjust how she thinks and behaves. its more a relationship breaker than anything else. hb risk needs sorting if you have caught it unlikely you need treatment. but the average randy male may easily be exposed. its in 1 in 250 people.
Reply 13
Original post by LZB
How long have you known this girl, how old are you now and how long have you been been dating and how long did you wait in the relationship before having sex? I'm sorry for the intrusive questions.

Hey, we are both 23. Ive known her since childhood but we weren't too close. We have been dating for 6 months and had sex after around 2 months..she said she was a virgin whose done everything else but not had proper sex. So sex after around 2.5 months but revealing hep b inactive carrier state after 6 months. Its a friend of hers who msgd me saying this girl likes me and thats how it started when i msgd her to confirm what her friend was saying. after this, in the beginning she came on to me really strong and was pushing for me to ask her to officially start dating. other info is in my replies above. ???
Reply 14
Just to let you know theres a national shortage of hep b vaccines.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Misstress X
Since you've known her since childhood you're image of her may be a bit warped, you find a lot of the time you have this image of a person from childhood that they can't be malicious because you've known them so long. My concern for you is if you continue the relationship I doubt you'll be able to trust her fully, trust is like paper once it's been crumpled it can never be perfect again. I think personally and you don't have to agree on this, but I believe that this girl is very selfish the fact that she didn't tell till after you'd been having sex for months and without protection knowing what she did, isn't someone thinking about your best interest and wanted to protect themselves first. I don't think this will be a healthy relationship for you, because if she can lie and keep something like that from you what else is she hiding and what else might she keep from you. I think if you stay with her you need to have a long chat with her, don't let her make excuses. But for me personally if someone genuinely cares about you they would tell you about an illness before sex and/or would at least use protection. Whatever you chose you should go see a doctor just to make sure you're clean.

i too feel it was for her self interest she kept sucking me in emotionally, physically and in all other ways by giving me what i want and behaving like the perfect person for me for 6 whole months..and when she felt it was safe to tell me and that so much had happened between us and i was so committed and head over heels for her is when she revealed her hep b, assuming that i would never even be able to dream of leaving her. That is exactly my worry. right?
Reply 16
Original post by viviva
Hey, we are both 23. Ive known her since childhood but we weren't too close. We have been dating for 6 months and had sex after around 2 months..she said she was a virgin whose done everything else but not had proper sex. So sex after around 2.5 months but revealing hep b inactive carrier state after 6 months. Its a friend of hers who msgd me saying this girl likes me and thats how it started when i msgd her to confirm what her friend was saying. after this, in the beginning she came on to me really strong and was pushing for me to ask her to officially start dating. other info is in my replies above. ???

Since you've known her since childhood you're image of her may be a bit warped, you find a lot of the time you have this image of a person from childhood that they can't be malicious because you've known them so long. My concern for you is if you continue the relationship I doubt you'll be able to trust her fully, trust is like paper once it's been crumpled it can never be perfect again. I think personally and you don't have to agree on this, but based on what I've read on here, I believe that this girl is very selfish, the fact that she didn't tell you till after you'd been having sex for months and without protection knowing what she has, isn't someone thinking about your best interest and wanted to protect themselves first. I don't think this will be a healthy relationship for you, because if she can lie and keep something like that from you what else is she hiding and what else might she keep from you. I think if you stay with her you need to have a long chat with her, don't let her make excuses. But for me personally if someone genuinely cares about you they would tell you about an illness before sex and/or would at least use protection. Whatever you chose you should go see a doctor just to make sure you're clean. I wish you the best.
Reply 17
Original post by LZB
Since you've known her since childhood you're image of her may be a bit warped, you find a lot of the time you have this image of a person from childhood that they can't be malicious because you've known them so long. My concern for you is if you continue the relationship I doubt you'll be able to trust her fully, trust is like paper once it's been crumpled it can never be perfect again. I think personally and you don't have to agree on this, but based on what I've read on here, I believe that this girl is very selfish, the fact that she didn't tell you till after you'd been having sex for months and without protection knowing what she has, isn't someone thinking about your best interest and wanted to protect themselves first. I don't think this will be a healthy relationship for you, because if she can lie and keep something like that from you what else is she hiding and what else might she keep from you. I think if you stay with her you need to have a long chat with her, don't let her make excuses. But for me personally if someone genuinely cares about you they would tell you about an illness before sex and/or would at least use protection. Whatever you chose you should go see a doctor just to make sure you're clean. I wish you the best.

why has this been copied haha..your'e in agreement with the view? would you leave the person?
Reply 18
Original post by viviva
i too feel it was for her self interest she kept sucking me in emotionally, physically and in all other ways by giving me what i want and behaving like the perfect person for me for 6 whole months..and when she felt it was safe to tell me and that so much had happened between us and i was so committed and head over heels for her is when she revealed her hep b, assuming that i would never even be able to dream of leaving her. That is exactly my worry. right?

Do you think you could trust her again?
Reply 19
Original post by LZB
Do you think you could trust her again?

I dont know..im really confused about everything and hence am here.

Quick Reply

Latest