The Student Room Group

Need advice for A-Level choices and Uni help

I'm looking to do a degree in computer science and the uni's I'm currently looking at are: UCL (A*AA), Bath(AAA or A*AB), Kings College(AAB) and Imperial(very unlikely - A*AA).
I did very well in my GCSEs (9A* 3A 1B) and was very interested in computer science, however due to a lot of pressure from my parents, I did Maths, Biology, Chemistry and computer science for my A-levels, so I could do medicine. I have relevant work experience in medicine, and a 730 in my UKCAT, however I know I would hate doing anything biology related, especially medicine, as a degree.

My AS grades were AAAB, with the B in computer science and my predicted grades are likely to be A* maths, A/A* chem, A biology and (almost certainly) only a B in CompSci.

I'm going to do AS further maths during year 13.

I don't know what to drop.If I were to drop computer science, I would get good predicted grades but it'll look a bit dodgy for someone to drop CS and wanting to do CS at uni. I could drop biology but then be getting an A*AB prediction, not good enough for UCL(1st choice). I could do all 4 and get A*AAB prediction, however it will be a lot of work and I don't know if it'll be enough for an A*AA uni.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by 4aceman
I'm looking to do a degree in computer science and the uni's I'm currently looking at are: UCL (A*AA), Bath(AAA or A*AB), Kings College(AAB) and Imperial(very unlikely - A*AA).
I did very well in my GCSEs (9A* 3A 1B) and was very interested in computer science, however due to a lot of pressure from my parents, I did Maths, Biology, Chemistry and computer science for my A-levels, so I could do medicine. I have relevant work experience in medicine, and a 730 in my UKCAT, however I know I would hate doing anything biology related, especially medicine, as a degree.

My AS grades were AAAB, with the B in computer science and my predicted grades are likely to be A* maths, A/A* chem, A biology and (almost certainly) only a B in CompSci.

I'm going to do AS further maths during year 13.

I don't know what to drop.If I were to drop computer science, I would get good predicted grades but it'll look a bit dodgy for someone to drop CS and wanting to do CS at uni. I could drop biology but then be getting an A*AB prediction, not good enough for UCL(1st choice). I could do all 4 and get A*AAB prediction, however it will be a lot of work and I don't know if it'll be enough for an A*AA uni.

Check the requirements for each university, but for those you mentioned I'm fairly sure the only hard requirement is an A-level in Mathematics. You have done CS to AS level so that will actually help you rather than hinder you IMO.

For example, from Bath's website:

"You will need a strong performance in Mathematics as part of your entry qualifications. We prefer applicants who have previously studied Computing, however, you do not need to have done so to be suitable for this course. "

I'm pretty sure you'd be fine with 3 A-levels if they include Maths.
Reply 2
Original post by jestersnow
Check the requirements for each university, but for those you mentioned I'm fairly sure the only hard requirement is an A-level in Mathematics. You have done CS to AS level so that will actually help you rather than hinder you IMO.

For example, from Bath's website:

"You will need a strong performance in Mathematics as part of your entry qualifications. We prefer applicants who have previously studied Computing, however, you do not need to have done so to be suitable for this course. "

I'm pretty sure you'd be fine with 3 A-levels if they include Maths.

My main worry is the impression it would give off if I were to drop computer science, none of the universities I want to go to requires them, but wouldn't it show a lack of interest in the subject?
Original post by 4aceman
My main worry is the impression it would give off if I were to drop computer science, none of the universities I want to go to requires them, but wouldn't it show a lack of interest in the subject?

I don't think it will matter much. You seem to be on course for excellent marks and maths is more important than CS for many universities. Many students get in to uni all the time without CS A-levels so having study some CS will give you advantage
Reply 4
Original post by jestersnow
I don't think it will matter much. You seem to be on course for excellent marks and maths is more important than CS for many universities. Many students get in to uni all the time without CS A-levels so having study some CS will give you advantage

Thanks for the advice, I think you're right.

I'll do further maths AS and an EPQ this year I think (dropping computer science)?? I'm not too sure whether universities will really note this, because I won't be getting anything predicted for the AS further maths and the EPQ wont be done when I send off my UCAS application.
My daughter took Maths Physics FM and Comp Sci at AS-Level and got AABB (with one of the B's being Comp Sci) She dropped Comp Sci and applied to Imperial, UCL, Bristol, Edinburgh, Kings with A*AB predictions.

She got Comp Sci offers from Bristol(AAA), Edinburgh (AAA) and Kings (AAB). Imperial and UCL were rejecting some A*A*A candidates in the last cycle so see them both as long shots (The UCL Comp Sci admissions thread is here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4433122 )

Bath had places available on Comp Sci up until August. Kings are known for taking candidates for Comp Sci with BBB and even lower. They also don't stipulate Maths A Level so with Maths A Level you should get an offer from them pretty quickly.

Hope that helps!
Reply 6
Original post by mathsinsider
My daughter took Maths Physics FM and Comp Sci at AS-Level and got AABB (with one of the B's being Comp Sci) She dropped Comp Sci and applied to Imperial, UCL, Bristol, Edinburgh, Kings with A*AB predictions.

She got Comp Sci offers from Bristol(AAA), Edinburgh (AAA) and Kings (AAB). Imperial and UCL were rejecting some A*A*A candidates in the last cycle so see them both as long shots (The UCL Comp Sci admissions thread is here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4433122 )

Bath had places available on Comp Sci up until August. Kings are known for taking candidates for Comp Sci with BBB and even lower. They also don't stipulate Maths A Level so with Maths A Level you should get an offer from them pretty quickly.

Hope that helps!

Thank you! I now have another problem in that a 91% ums in maths is apparently not good enough for an A* prediction in my sixth form.
I'll drop computer science, use my AAA predictions to apply to bath and UCL and if I do end up doing better at a-level then I'll take a gap year and reapply, seems to be my best option right now with my predicted grades :frown: I would prefer a course with more emphasis on the maths side of computer science rather than programming/practical side of it. Thank you all for the help!
(edited 6 years ago)
The most important a level is maths. further maths is vvv desirable at the higher up institutions (such as imperial). I got an offer last year from UCL for Mathematical Computation (from the same department) with Maths Further Maths Physics taken to A2.
Reply 8
Original post by MathMan+C
The most important a level is maths. further maths is vvv desirable at the higher up institutions (such as imperial). I got an offer last year from UCL for Mathematical Computation (from the same department) with Maths Further Maths Physics taken to A2.

What were your predicted and AS/A2 grades if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by 4aceman
What were your predicted and AS/A2 grades if you don't mind me asking?

Firstly Unis generally can see through Predicted Grades. I was predicted A*A*A*, but that wasnt really a factor in why they accepted me. I in the end though rejected UCL and accepted a place on one of Warwicks Maths and statistics degrees (personal preference)
Reply 10
Original post by MathMan+C
Firstly Unis generally can see through Predicted Grades. I was predicted A*A*A*, but that wasnt really a factor in why they accepted me. I in the end though rejected UCL and accepted a place on one of Warwicks Maths and statistics degrees (personal preference)

My first choice at the moment is Bath, then King's as a backup. I'm just worried that they wont see the UMS/raw marks on my application and assume I got a low A, even though I know I'm very capable of an A* in maths, and (less so) in chemistry.

My main plan is to apply then take a gap year if I do significantly better than my offers, and then reapply.

Thank you for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending