The Student Room Group

A-Level Results Mistake

Hi guys,

So on August 17th I got my A-Level results. A few days later I emailed my school to get my raw marks for each paper. They replied a few days ago and sent me my raw marks. I came across a bit of a problem with my Edexcel Economics marks. The marks they sent me for my Economics papers (when compared to the grade boundaries) gives me a grade C (adds up to 189 marks) however the grade boundaries say 199 is required for a grade B (the grade I got on my results sheet). I emailed again to double check and they confirmed my raw marks were correct. I'm really confused on how I go about resolving this issue. Is it possible that I may have actually got a grade C ?? And if I call in would they change my grade B to a C ?? Or Is it more likely that the raw marks are incorrect? (Just to let you know my school got 100% A*-B for Economics and I highly doubt I got a C)

I would really appreciate any help / information / advice on how I should go about this.

Thank you in advance:smile:
Original post by Aty100
Hi guys,

So on August 17th I got my A-Level results. A few days later I emailed my school to get my raw marks for each paper. They replied a few days ago and sent me my raw marks. I came across a bit of a problem with my Edexcel Economics marks. The marks they sent me for my Economics papers (when compared to the grade boundaries) gives me a grade C (adds up to 189 marks) however the grade boundaries say 199 is required for a grade B (the grade I got on my results sheet). I emailed again to double check and they confirmed my raw marks were correct. I'm really confused on how I go about resolving this issue. Is it possible that I may have actually got a grade C ?? And if I call in would they change my grade B to a C ?? Or Is it more likely that the raw marks are incorrect? (Just to let you know my school got 100% A*-B for Economics and I highly doubt I got a C)

I would really appreciate any help / information / advice on how I should go about this.

Thank you in advance:smile:

Talk to your teacher. If you believe that there has been an error then go for a remark. You have until 21 September. If a mistake is discovered then you get your money back.
What's the issue ? You may have got higher than you should have, I would just leave it.
Reply 3
Original post by NotNotBatman
What's the issue ? You may have got higher than you should have, I would just leave it.

I'm almost certain I didn't get a C. I was thinking I may have got a high B and wanted a remark but the raw marks suggest I've got a mid C. My entire school got A*-B and I'm one of the good ones in Economics (only reason I struggle to get As is because I can never finish any of the papers, I really struggle with timing). So I may actually have a B and it could be a high B which I could then remark in hopes of getting an A or it could either be that I actually got a mid C but accidentally got given a grade B. So I don't know which one is more likely
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Talk to your teacher. If you believe that there has been an error then go for a remark. You have until 21 September. If a mistake is discovered then you get your money back.

I spoke to both of the admissions/exam officer teachers in my school. They both gave me the same raw marks (thought one of them may have made a typo but their data shows those same raw marks) They weren't much help to be honest
Original post by Aty100
I spoke to both of the admissions/exam officer teachers in my school. They both gave me the same raw marks (thought one of them may have made a typo but their data shows those same raw marks) They weren't much help to be honest

Sorry wasnt reading properly and would agree with post 3.
Nothing to gain except a downgrade. Wait and see. If it says B on your certificate just take it. If they downgrade you then you can remark, but you havent lost anything. Of you feel even the B is wrong and they have made a mistake against you i.e a significant missed mark, then its up to you. Take the risk or not.
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
Sorry wasnt reading properly and would agree with post 3.
Nothing to gain except a downgrade. Wait and see. If it says B on your certificate just take it. If they downgrade you then you can remark, but you havent lost anything. Of you feel even the B is wrong and they have made a mistake against you i.e a significant missed mark, then its up to you. Take the risk or not.

Hi, well I've spoken to a few other students and teachers and we have come to the conclusion that the actual grades boundaries posted on the edexcel are incorrect. All 3 papers were out of 100 but on the grade boundaries it says the total mark was 335 instead of 300. So everyone who actually checked the grade boundaries would have faced the same problem as me. Thanks for your advice though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest