The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

foundation course in Engineering at Aston University

How many hours will I have to spend at Uni everyday about?Does it require hours and hours of studying everyday ?Also , on the first week ive been told that students just party (Freshers Week) , but you do actually attend uni , right?
Original post by egraMot.B
How many hours will I have to spend at Uni everyday about?Does it require hours and hours of studying everyday ?Also , on the first week ive been told that students just party (Freshers Week) , but you do actually attend uni , right?

Expect to be taught 9-5 on most days though most unis have Wednesdays off. It will vary by term and year though. You will need some time to do some self study as well which can be evenings or weekends. Fresher's week is all about getting oriented and meeting new people so there will be some academic stuff going on as well.

Moving to the Aston forum which you may want to check out. You can use the Connect tool to meet other students.
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Hi egraMot.B.

Adding onto what alleycat393 said, Fresher's week is mainly about getting you settled in. There are drinking events which do go on but there are plenty of events which don't involve drinking. There are a range of activities, in and out of your lessons, which is meant to be a general icebreaker to university life and your course.

The university does expect you to study outside of lessons. Each Module Specification, which you will have access to when you start the course, will give you a break down of the amount of hours you will spend it lesson, tutorials, labs and the amount of hours they recommend you put into independent study outside of the course.

Any more questions, give me a shout

^Kam
Reply 3
Original post by alleycat393
Expect to be taught 9-5 on most days though most unis have Wednesdays off. It will vary by term and year though. You will need some time to do some self study as well which can be evenings or weekends. Fresher's week is all about getting oriented and meeting new people so there will be some academic stuff going on as well.

Moving to the Aston forum which you may want to check out. You can use the Connect tool to meet other students.

9-5?! I was given the impression that foundation years were pretty relaxed... :frown:
Reply 4
I've just completed the foundation year, we had lectures 3/4 days a week but only a few hours each day. If you have any other questions then feel free to ask.
Original post by Ljj_1986
I've just completed the foundation year, we had lectures 3/4 days a week but only a few hours each day. If you have any other questions then feel free to ask.

hi, im going to be doing this foundation year as well. i was wondering if you had the course outlines and such for the year? the spec and stuff. i want to do some pre-reading before i start, i would be rly grateful thank u!
Reply 6
Original post by mashiator
hi, im going to be doing this foundation year as well. i was wondering if you had the course outlines and such for the year? the spec and stuff. i want to do some pre-reading before i start, i would be rly grateful thank u!

Of course, I had the following modules:

Professional skills
Mathematics 1
Mathematics 2
Physics
Introduction to EAS (taster sessions of the optional modules in teaching period 2)
Optional module (I did logistics, was going on to maths so I could choose whatever I wanted)

I think that was everything but I also feel like there's not much there, probably because I've seen my workload in comparison for this year 😱

Was there a particular area you wanted me to go into more?
Of course, I had the following modules:

Professional skills
Mathematics 1
Mathematics 2
Physics
Introduction to EAS (taster sessions of the optional modules in teaching period 2)
Optional module (I did logistics, was going on to maths so I could choose whatever I wanted)

I think that was everything but I also feel like there's not much there, probably because I've seen my workload in comparison for this year 😱

How hard is the Physics?
Reply 8
Original post by Niyi Aderounmu
How hard is the Physics?

I found it very difficult but then I hadn't studied any physics in over a decade! I still managed to pass though and I only got 20% in my summer exam. You have 4 lab reports to do and 2 exams so lots of opportunity to make up for a poor result.
Reply 9
hi! im also starting foundation year this september i haven't been in school in over a decade too and was wondering if you still had your lab reports and old exams this will help me greatly.. im also willing to pay for it. and also are you going on to finish your degree at aston? and which engineering are u pursuing?

thank you! and yes!! can you elaborate what you studied in physics? and can you recommend me books or websites that you used (if you used any) to help you with this subject?
Original post by mashiator
thank you! and yes!! can you elaborate what you studied in physics? and can you recommend me books or websites that you used (if you used any) to help you with this subject?

I didn't use any books, you will be provided with plenty of material. See the following for everything we covered:

TP1: 1.Mechanics : Physical quantities, units, measurement, Scalar and vector Mass, weight, density. One dimension linear equation of motion Force: Gravitational forces, gravitational potential energy, mass and weight, density, momentum, conservation of momentum, Newton?s first law, second law and third law. Projectile Motion Work ,energy ,power, efficiency Circular motion, Characteristics of wave (Define the terms displacement, amplitude, frequency, period and phase difference, Longitudinal and transverse wave), Teaching Period 1: 1.Mechanics : Physical quantities, units, measurement, Scalar and vector Mass, density, relative density One dimension linear equation of motion Force: Gravitational forces, gravitational potential energy, mass and weight, momentum, conservation of momentum, Newton?s first law, second law and third law. Projectile Motion Work ,energy ,power, efficiency Circular motion:   2.Heat and Thermodynamics:   Temperature scales: Absolute temperature scale, The zeroth law of Thermodynamics, specific heat capacity, latent heat. Thermal Expansion: Linear expansion, bimetallic strip, Coefficient of linear expansion, Coefficient of cubic expansion. Ideal gas laws. Kinetic theory of gas, internal energy, First law of thermodynamics.   3. Wave: Characteristics of wave (Define the terms displacement, amplitude, frequency, period and phase difference, Longitudinal and transverse wave), Electromagnetic wave and spectrum.             Teaching Period 2:   4. Basic Electricity: Current Electricity: Constituent particles of atom and of atomic structure, Charge, Current, voltage, drift velocity, Ohm?s law, Resistance, temperature coefficient of resistance, Resistivity, Series and parallel resistances, KCL, KVL.    5. Optics: Geometric optics: Reflection, refraction (Apparent depth /real depth, Critical angle, total internal reflection, optical fibre, prism, dispersion of light). Lenses: convex, concave lens, Human Eye. Wave Optics: Wave theory of light (Huygens?s Principle), interference (Superposition of waves, coherent source of light, constructive and destructive interference, Young?s double slit experiment). Diffraction of light (single slit diffraction, double slit diffraction and grating), polarisation of light   6. Photo electric effect: Photoelectric Current, Stopping Potential Threshold Energy, Work Function.   7. Modern Physics: Model of the atom, Discovery of electron, quanta, photon, matter waves, wave particle duality, De Broglie?s hypothesis.
Original post by sammy468
hi! im also starting foundation year this september i haven't been in school in over a decade too and was wondering if you still had your lab reports and old exams this will help me greatly.. im also willing to pay for it. and also are you going on to finish your degree at aston? and which engineering are u pursuing?

You will be provided with past papers a little before your exams, I think I do still have access to the previous years exams, obviously not this years exam though which were slightly different on previous years. I do have all my lab reports but I'm not sure I'm prepared to send them over. I found the lab reports the easiest and once you have done your first one then the others are easier. Each lab report is only worth 5% of you overall grade but they can help give you a boost. I'm going on to mathematics and will be studying at Aston.
I didn't use any books, you will be provided with plenty of material. See the following for everything we covered:

TP1: 1.Mechanics : Physical quantities, units, measurement, Scalar and vector Mass, weight, density. One dimension linear equation of motion Force: Gravitational forces, gravitational potential energy, mass and weight, density, momentum, conservation of momentum, Newton?s first law, second law and third law. Projectile Motion Work ,energy ,power, efficiency Circular motion, Characteristics of wave (Define the terms displacement, amplitude, frequency, period and phase difference, Longitudinal and transverse wave), Teaching Period 1: 1.Mechanics : Physical quantities, units, measurement, Scalar and vector Mass, density, relative density One dimension linear equation of motion Force: Gravitational forces, gravitational potential energy, mass and weight, momentum, conservation of momentum, Newton?s first law, second law and third law. Projectile Motion Work ,energy ,power, efficiency Circular motion:   2.Heat and Thermodynamics:   Temperature scales: Absolute temperature scale, The zeroth law of Thermodynamics, specific heat capacity, latent heat. Thermal Expansion: Linear expansion, bimetallic strip, Coefficient of linear expansion, Coefficient of cubic expansion. Ideal gas laws. Kinetic theory of gas, internal energy, First law of thermodynamics.   3. Wave: Characteristics of wave (Define the terms displacement, amplitude, frequency, period and phase difference, Longitudinal and transverse wave), Electromagnetic wave and spectrum.             Teaching Period 2:   4. Basic Electricity: Current Electricity: Constituent particles of atom and of atomic structure, Charge, Current, voltage, drift velocity, Ohm?s law, Resistance, temperature coefficient of resistance, Resistivity, Series and parallel resistances, KCL, KVL.    5. Optics: Geometric optics: Reflection, refraction (Apparent depth /real depth, Critical angle, total internal reflection, optical fibre, prism, dispersion of light). Lenses: convex, concave lens, Human Eye. Wave Optics: Wave theory of light (Huygens?s Principle), interference (Superposition of waves, coherent source of light, constructive and destructive interference, Young?s double slit experiment). Diffraction of light (single slit diffraction, double slit diffraction and grating), polarisation of light   6. Photo electric effect: Photoelectric Current, Stopping Potential Threshold Energy, Work Function.   7. Modern Physics: Model of the atom, Discovery of electron, quanta, photon, matter waves, wave particle duality, De Broglie?s hypothesis.

That looks like quite a lot. How was your experience between the gap of Alevels and Uni?
Original post by Niyi Aderounmu
That looks like quite a lot. How was your experience between the gap of Alevels and Uni?

I never did A levels, did my GCSEs then did an access course with no maths/science whatsoever. It is a lot but it's divided between two exams so it's too bad. I believe most of the topics are at A level so if you did A levels in maths or physics then you should find those modules fairly easy. I have around double the modules this year so I think the foundation year might be easier in comparison.

ok thank you so much for your help!! rly appreciate it x
Reply 16
Heyy, anyone doing the Aston foundation programme in science?? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest