The Student Room Group

saharan's journey to the stars

Hey!

My name is Saharan (not really lol but close enough). I'm a 16 year old and I live somewhere in London. I like to think myself as becoming a well-rounded person (I'm not quite there yet) and my hobbies consist of tarot, astrology and astronomy. I'm a very spiritual person but I also believe that spirituality and the sciences go hand in hand even though people like to think otherwise. I'm an open person to other people's beliefs as long as they don't insult or belittle mine. :smile:

I've just become a year 12 and figured that this thread was the best way to commemorate my new arrival to the hell(!) that is the next few years of my life. In all honesty, I've kind of nervously been looking forward to it all summer (especially after I'd just received my GCSEs results) and it's just been giving me nervous jitters.

I've been trying to get myself into good habits (unfortunately this summer has gotten me right off balance) and I'm going to be using this blog as a way to discipline myself on to the right track.

MY GCSES

Spoiler

MY AS LEVELS

Spoiler

MY HOPES

Spoiler

I hope to talk to my fellow sixth formers too about their journeys :smile: Hopefully we can help each other with revision and stress coping techniques lmao!

- Saharan xo

Scroll to see replies

POST ONE
Today was a combination of getting familiarised with the school site and last-minute adjustments to different AS subjects. I've pretty much stuck to the ones that I've got and I hope that I won't regret my decisions in the near future. (I'm sure I won't as I enjoy all of the subjects that I have chosen) I have six frees in my timetable but not really as some of them are dedicated to my enrichment activity that I've chosen which will be both a volunteering activity where I engage my time with vulnerable children who need one-to-one help, and also the gym so that I keep fit hopefully.

What I Need To Do:
- Organise my folders
- Print out a calendar to have my future events listed out
- Buy ring-binder folders.
I like this nice thread :biggrin:
Original post by saharan_skies
Hey!

My name is Saharan (not really lol but close enough). I'm a 16 year old and I live somewhere in London. I like to think myself as becoming a well-rounded person (I'm not quite there yet) and my hobbies consist of tarot, astrology and astronomy. I'm a very spiritual person but I also believe that spirituality and the sciences go hand in hand even though people like to think otherwise. I'm an open person to other people's beliefs as long as they don't insult or belittle mine. :smile:

I've just become a year 12 and figured that this thread was the best way to commemorate my new arrival to the hell(!) that is the next few years of my life. In all honesty, I've kind of nervously been looking forward to it all summer (especially after I'd just received my GCSEs results) and it's just been giving me nervous jitters.

I've been trying to get myself into good habits (unfortunately this summer has gotten me right off balance) and I'm going to be using this blog as a way to discipline myself on to the right track.

MY GCSES

Spoiler

MY AS LEVELS

Spoiler

MY HOPES

Spoiler

I hope to talk to my fellow sixth formers too about their journeys :smile: Hopefully we can help each other with revision and stress coping techniques lmao!

- Saharan xo

Good luck for starting college! Which course are you looking forward to the most? I did Psychology A-level and really enjoyed it :h:
thanks so much! I'm really looking forward to both physics and psychology tbh, I love the theories in both. what did you like most in psychology?
Original post by Fox Corner
Good luck for starting college! Which course are you looking forward to the most? I did Psychology A-level and really enjoyed it :h:
POST 2:
Okay, okay, okay, I know I'm pretty late on updating my progress on my AS levels but it's been a hectic few days settling into sixth form but I'm here now :smile:

I had Maths, Chemistry and Psychology today, so today was a very jam-packed day in all fairness. Chemistry was full of practicals that were a tiny bit more pro than the ones that they gave to us at GCSEs but I kind of enjoyed fiddling around with the circuits even though I hated learning the symbols for them back in P2. Today was basically just solidifying the notes for what we'd learned about ionic bonding/NaCl, so it was relatively easy but I've realised that I need to make more of an effort to keep myself constantly up to date with past knowledge as there were some gaps in my knowledge.

Maths was a similar ball-park and I feel like I've missed every hoop in the basketball net. Ergo, indices are nice and easy until you throw them all together for me to figure out like a surgeon with a disfigured surgery :colondollar:. But I love the beauty of maths and untangling the intricate loops to find the correct answer; there's something so satisfying about it for some odd reason; like I've actually done solid work and improved myself.

WHAT I'VE DONE:
- Signed up for Barclays Life Skills
- Physics notes for Electricity
- Organised my folders
- Chemistry homework (Atoms and Isotopes)
- Maths homework
- Signed up for several events at universities
- Organised my calendar

WHAT I NEED TO DO:
- Consolidation notes for Organic Chemistry (Atoms and Isotopes)
- Consolidation notes for Inorganic Chemistry (Ionic Bonding)
- Finish my Imperial application (STEM potential)
- Do my homework for Chemistry (Inorganic)
- Homework for Psychology about Origins of Psychology
- Flashcards online for physics and chemistry
Reply 6
It sounds like you're off to a good start! I'm also just entering Year 12 haha. I'm doing chem and physics as well, how are you finding them? :smile:
heyy, hope you're settling in okay!

I'm absolutely exhausted atm; the amount of work you need to put in basically quadruples to a heck ton :x Chemistry is exhausting me the most atm; there's constantly so much homework that my eyes are about to roll to the back of my head. Physics is intriguing as usual but we've started out with Electricity which is really not the most exciting topic in the world but good for fetus A-levelers like us :smile:

how are your classes going?
Original post by Tombre
It sounds like you're off to a good start! I'm also just entering Year 12 haha. I'm doing chem and physics as well, how are you finding them? :smile:
POST 3:

Today I had volunteering at an organic fruits and vegetable stall and it was super fun. I really liked being surrounded by so much greenery; it was like I'd become a plant too! (I'd be a lotus because I rise from *****y situations hahah) I brought gooseberry jam home and I just know it's going to be absolutely delicious :smile:. My clothes also arrived but I still need to buy more knitwear cause lord knows that the hellfire coldstorms are about to arrive.

I'm just about to start my homework but just wanted to give you all a round off on what I'm going to be doing today.

WHAT I'M DOING TODAY:
- Chemistry homework (green and yellow sheets)
- Beginning to rewrite my chemistry notes.
- Maths homework from both Stats & Mech and Pure Maths teacher
POST 4:
Today was a 'meh' day, it flew by so quickly my eyes didn't see it really. I had Maths, Organic Chemistry and Psychology today. And I've never been more exhausted. Yawn. Maths had some links back to GCSE Maths and the sub-part of statistics was fairly easy to understand but Organic Chemistry was mainly filled with new information about Orbitals and stuff. I also got my new psychology textbook fresh from the box that it came with and it smells so good!!!

I'm not the only one to be this weird and actually smell books right?

TO DO:
- Organise Psychology notes
- Complete Chemistry homework (Orbital Configuration)
- Maths notes/flashcards beginning
POST 5

Ugh, today's been another hectic week and I can safely say that I'm on the process of getting my **** together; I just hope its together before my probation tests that are coming up in October :s. I had a networking event yesterday at NOMURA and I have to say that I pleasantly felt out of place because everyone in that building walked with a purpose and a destination in mind. It kind of intimidates me because even now I still don't really know what I want to do with my life; I just want to be able to not struggle with money (living to make ends meet basically) and be happy :smile:

This week: Chemistry killed me and I know it's only the pre-killing before the apocalypse but still;; damn. Moles is such a terribly hard topic and I just resent it for the fact that I actually can't imagine an atom that's 0.00000000506000034 whatever units.

I've got lots to do but I have a socially busy weekend and I regret having an inch of a social life (barely lmao)

TO DO:
- Rewrite ionic bonding notes for Ms N
- Plan a session for my reading student
- Revise for pre-probation Chem test on Friday
- Revise for test on alpha/beta/gamma radiation in Physics on Friday
- Summary notes for Physics from section 1.1-1.5
- Go over the cognitive approach/method for Psychology

HAVE DONE
- Organised my day folder
- Wrote up orbital notes for Chem
- Met different people in NOMURA
- Worksheets for Mr W
- Given in Psychology folder
- Up to date with Psychology work
welll;;; um its been a really long time since I last posted?? i'm sorry, everything has been a giant mess and it's been a real trial to keep everything glued together and learn how to become better organised. Real life has just been overwhelmingly in my face atm, I've had really good things happen like my volunteering opportunity with aiding younger children with confidence and reading - I absolutely adore all of my reading kids and it's been such a swell opportunity, seeing them grow and become more assured - but I've also had a constant barrage of headaches and all-nighters which are quite terrible for me, in all fairness but with the workload piling on, I'm pretty helpless.

All in all, mocks are coming up and I've never been more ready to jump ship and lie in my water grave. (Side note: Hamilton is such a good musical but is so so so expensive to get tickets for, goddamn. Honestly listen to the soundtrack and tell me that it's not a work of genius tbh)

THINGS TO DO:
- organise activities to do for Wednesday
- complete all the goddamned maths homework, why oh god why is there so much goddamned maths homework.
- complete notes for physics
- revise for I.R and EMF for physics minitest on Monday
- WA Chemistry hw
- start doing questions from textbooks

THINGS I'VE DONE:
- organised everything in place, be-yotch, I'm living
- update my Psych notes but I need to start my consolidation notes
- completed Section 1 and 2 of Physics section
- Chemistry test
- Visited Christ's College in Cambridge for open day and loved it
- Applied for and got rejected by K+ :~)
- Handed in my Alumni application to start and entrepreneurship//business.

Now I've gotta do at least three of these maths sheets, drink water and go to sleep.

Night, I'll probably be procrastinating for the next three hours,
I'll try to not forget and update this more regularly.
Post 7:
This weekend has been fairly unproductive and it's really really annoying because I know I can do better but my mind just hates me right now... Especially bad since I have mocks coming up soon. On the other hand my writing muse has been going wild and I've finished writing a few chapters of my historical fiction hahah if anyone even cares :smile:

I did mostly maths this weekend;; here's a little preview
image.jpg
POST 8:
Today was better and I feel a bit more better now :smile: I managed to get almost full marks on my Chemistry homework and it took me absolutely AGES to complete ugh. I do have to say that I wish I procrastinated less still. I just need to be more mindful with the time I do give to everything and everything will be fine. My mock exams have me a bit messed up and I wish that I didn't have to do Statistics in maths, all those graphs are just.... horrendous.

Like it'll take me about five years to complete one sheet of stats hw and I don't know why. Pure is supposed to be harder but I find myself enjoying Pure in comparison to Stats. Ugh, hope it gets better.

In the meanwhile, I think my notes for Ethical issues in Psychology is pretty neat.
Attachment not found
(edited 6 years ago)
I love this thread!

Well done - mocks are always horrible, but they're great at highlighting what you struggle with and what revision techniques work in Sixth Form.

I'm in Year 13 now, but I remember Year 12 being the most hectic time ever, so well done for being so organised. Everyone procrastinates, and you just need to find a way to get around that (for me, I have a space for working, and a space for relaxing - I guess it's a certain mindset that I have to get into :smile:).

You're doing amazing - A-Levels are hard, so keep up the good work!
Atom economy is such an interesting part of chemistry and I feel like it's such a microcosm for the wider universe; and I'm not just saying that to say that in all honesty. This entire idea of wanting to gain what you've put in is such a benign and normal phenomena but like social relationships, you rarely get what you want back from what you give; people rarely function and stick to a baseline of what we expect. Life is so complex and so simple, there is all explanation and none for the most common occurrence that is our existence. (At least in our Earth) It's a bit long and tedious to make the connections and I agree it's a bit far-stretched notion but it's something that I've just been thinking about for a good while :smile:

OR it's just the stress getting to my head and I've just accepted my fate as being the least chill person to breathe out carbon dioxide and consume nutrients that will sustain me for a few hours before I require more fuel. (I'm speaking like that intentionally lmao)

This week has been a whirlwind and I blinked and it's almost mock exam season. Boy oh boy am I ready to scream and crack on. I've got a bunch of stuff that I need to hand in and complete.

THINGS TO DO:
- rewrite chem pag
- do chem pag
- complete notes for my physics folder to bring in
- complete chapter 5 of stats for maths

THINGS I'VE DONE:
- handed in my consol. notes for chem (inorganic)
- completed questions on circles in pure maths (chapter 6)
Hi!! We do almost the same subjects!! Which exam boards are you doing?

Your blog is really nice! I'm definitely adding this to my watch list :smile:
Original post by nyxnko_
Hi!! We do almost the same subjects!! Which exam boards are you doing?

Your blog is really nice! I'm definitely adding this to my watch list :smile:

oh hey thank you !! :smile: do you have a gyg too that i can follow? i'm doing aqa for psych and physics and ocr for chemistry and edexcel for maths, it's quite varied tbh haha, wbu??
POST 10: (I need to do a better job at writing what post is what ahahha)

For some odd reason I've been listening to a lot more German music; it's so catchy tbh and I love the harshness of the language, if that's a weird thing to consider yo. I did it for my GCSEs and it was the only subject that I'm not doing that I miss (apart from media studies but that's sort of a given, me thinks.) I kind of want to keep at it as well but I rarely have the time and the other time I spend writing stories and listening to the Hamilton sound track. I really really really want to see it when it comes to the UK but my parents probably won't let me go watch it :frown:(. (It could be my belated birthday present wahayyy)

So I had another chemistry PAG which was another titration and it surprisingly didn't go as bad as the others went? I wasn't stumbling like Bambi like I did with my other ones and I kind of had a clue on what was going on. Still I'm glad that my wet chemistry practical assessment is basically done and I can look forward to the other ones although I have a feeling they're going to be even more tougher. It's well weird how I'm beginning to understand stuff though? It's clicking and I'm becoming overwhelmed with the thought that I might not be as daft as I thought of myself to be?

Maths is another chapter on its own and I hate the living heck out of stats ugh. and circles. I really wanted to leave it behind in GCSEs but nah, it just hates me enough to stay for aN ENTIRE SECTION ON ITS OWN AAHHHHH. Also does anyone know any really good maths teaching resources besides physicsandmathstutor? Cheers.

COMPLETED:
- Psychology essay plans
- Physics summary questions for sections 1.1, 12.1 and 11.2
- notes for Density and Springs
- Chemistry PAG 2.2
- parts of my application for Sutton Trust USA (another ballpark on its own man, the video part has me feeling a bit nerve-wracked ughghgh.)
- completed my intended sessions for my volunteering
- flashcards for physics up to 1.5
- flashcards for stats up to 1.5

TO DO:
- ordering a new oyster card (I lost it on the bus :frown: )
- some psychology summary questions/check it
- chapter 5 stats (I've been pushing this back too much ugh)
- chemistry notes
- physics notes for folder check on monday
- Organic stack of homework
- PAG 2.1
Original post by saharan_skies
oh hey thank you !! :smile: do you have a gyg too that i can follow? i'm doing aqa for psych and physics and ocr for chemistry and edexcel for maths, it's quite varied tbh haha, wbu??

Yeah I do. I think you can find it on my profile... AQA for physics and chem and then edexcel for maths and further maths :smile: ; mine's okay tbh, my biggest worry so far is that it's 9.81 for g in AQA and 9.8 in edexcel

Quick Reply

Latest