The Student Room Group

Seize the Grades! CinnamonSmol wants it all

Hello and welcome to my GYG which will document my progress throughout A-levels. Let's learn a little about myself, shall we?

Here's some info......
At GCSE's I took Single sciences, History and Art.

I absolutely detested art by the end of year 11, all due to my teacher. He'd always bring me down, criticise my work without being constructive and made me throw away pieces of art instead of helping me improve my work. Despite this, I am taking an art-based A-level in order to show that I do have capability to get top marks and to rekindle my love for creativity. I need to have a positive experience with art in order to continue enjoying it in the future.

As for history, it was something that I always enjoyed however at mocks I received an E. I felt so humilated and uncertain as to whether I would even pass that through my hard work I managed to go from an E to an A* (plus full ums on 2 papers) within 3 months! Because of this I believe I can truly get the grades I want through hard work and motivation.

I am taking:
English Literature and Language (GCSE grade: 9,9 plus a distinction in Lang)
History (GCSE grade: A*, full ums in 2 papers)
Graphic Design (GCSE grade: B in Art)
+EPQ in something politics related

I want: A*A*A (+A/A* in EPQ)

Crazy I know but through dedictation and staying organised from the beginning I think I should hopefully be okay! I really want an A at least for Graphics as I feel as though I didn't express my true capability during GCSE's due to low confidence in my ability.

I don't want to go to Oxbridge however I'd like to think that if I got these grades I'd have a chance for at least an interview if I changed my mind. If I do well in AS then I could even possibly get an unconditional offer from a uni of my choice eg Birmingham

What will this thread contain?
Rants, bants and everything else in between! I'll be posting my progress of studying and staying organised as well as posting pics of my notes and stationery (who doesnt like a good stationery pic?)

How I'm organising myself

Spoiler

Current Predicted Grades:

Spoiler

Marks from tests:

Spoiler

Useful threads:

Spoiler

Books I've read this academic year:

Spoiler

Seeing as this is a thread for motivation, anyone else is feel free to post their progress and tips and tricks to good grades.

Thanks for reading and stay tuned for more :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

01.09.17: Today I recieved my timetable for sixth form during my induction morning and not including lunch, I have 14 free periods; 4 of which are on a monday morning in a row. Looks like my first day of college is going to be super boring. Tomorrow I'll be making my timetable on TSR and enjoy last few days of freedom from a-levels :u:

Spoiler

03/09/2017: Here's a copy of my timetable, now I just need to print it out and write down the times, rooms, teachers and more importantly, those who share the same frees as me! First day of college is going to draaaaag seeing as I have 4 hours to do nothing :colonhash:
05/09/2017: Already feeling the pressure! Have so much work to do, I've been working 5 hours straight since I got home which isn't good. I'm going to start using my free periods properly now instead of chilling. Met a few more people today who seemed nice, a couple girls actually laughed at my jokes (I usually tell REALLY bad jokes) A bit nervous to see how my graphics teacher finds my work, I think it looks terrible but we'll see. As for my History teacher, she's lovely but you know a teacher isn't the best if they somehow incorporate the Reichstag and Kim Kardashians butt into a sentence. Anyways, this is the only break I have and I have a headache so I'm going now, bye!
Original post by CinnamonSmol
Hello and welcome to my GYG which will document my progress throughout A-levels. Let's learn a little about myself, shall we?

Here's some info......
At GCSE's I took Single sciences, History and Art.

I absolutely detested art by the end of year 11, all due to my teacher. He's always bring me down, criticise my work without being constructive and made me throw away pieces of art instead of helping me improve my work. Despite this, I am taking an art-based A-level in order to show that I do have capability to get top marks and to rekindle my love for creativity. I need to have a positive experience with art in order to continue enjoying it in the future.

As for history, it was something that I always enjoyed however at mocks I received an E. I felt so humilated and uncertain as to whether I would even pass that through my hard work I managed to go from an E to an A* (plus full ums on 2 papers) within 3 months! Because of this I believe I can truly get the grades I want through hard work and motivation.

I am taking:
English Literature and Language (GCSE grade: 9,9 plus a distinction in Lang)
History (GCSE grade: A*, full ums in 2 papers)
Graphic Design (GCSE grade: B in Art)
+EPQ in something politics related

I want: A*A*A

Crazy I know but through dedictation and staying organised from the beginning I think I should hopefully be okay! I really want an A at least for Graphics as I feel as though I didn't express my true capability during GCSE's due to low confidence in my ability.

I don't want to go to Oxbridge however I'd like to think that if I got these grades I'd have a chance for at least an interview if I changed my mind. If I do well in AS then I could even possibly get an unconditional offer from a uni of my choice eg Birmingham

What will this thread contain?
Rants, bants and everything else in between! I'll be posting my progress of studying and staying organised as well as posting pics of my notes and stationery (who doesnt like a good stationery pic?)

Seeing as this is a thread for motivation, anyone else is freel to post their progress and tips and tricks to good grades.

Thanks for reading and stay tuned for more :smile:

I love your profile picture :lol:

Good luck for this year! I'm sure you'll smash it. Your art teacher sounds really harsh - I hope you get someone more supportive this year :h:

Are you excited about starting year 12? :party:
I just started year 12 too, and am taking history, french and psychology. I can already tell how different it is to GCSEs!
Original post by Fox Corner
I love your profile picture :lol:

Good luck for this year! I'm sure you'll smash it. Your art teacher sounds really harsh - I hope you get someone more supportive this year :h:

Are you excited about starting year 12? :party:

Thanks! My teachers see really nice, now I just need to stop feeling inadequate about my work all the time which will hopefully diminish as I grow more confident during this year.

I was excited about year12 however now I'm starting to feel a bit nervous that my goals are a bit far fetched but as long as I recieve support from TSR and I motivate myself by using this blog I'll hopefully do well :biggrin:
Original post by chloerebecca1
I just started year 12 too, and am taking history, french and psychology. I can already tell how different it is to GCSEs!

Same! Already the workload has drastically increased and the lessons are very fast paced :0 What are you studying for History?
Same! Already the workload has drastically increased and the lessons are very fast paced :0 What are you studying for History?

The Tudors and Putin, though I haven't actually had my first lesson yet! What about you?
Original post by chloerebecca1
The Tudors and Putin, though I haven't actually had my first lesson yet! What about you?

Stuarts and Hitler, beware! The textbooks are so freaking expensive ;-;
Stuarts and Hitler, beware! The textbooks are so freaking expensive ;-;

Ah I love studying Hitler! And I know, luckily the school has spares for us:clap2:
11/05/2017: Officially been at college for a week and already getting so much homework. Today I worked for around 2 and a bit hours during school in my frees catching up on homework and an hour afterschool. I wasn't productive today in Graphics so now I need to catch up ASAP and I still need to complete my homework during tomorrows frees as well as write up any class notes. I must admit that I'm starting to fall behind however I'll hopefully catch up soon. Tomorrow I have got 3 frees that I'm going to use productively. There's going to be a speaker from Coventry University at my college in a couple of weeks that I'm going to sign up to hear as I want to become motivated and inspired to work hard. Anyways, don't really know what to say, tuning out for now goodbye future me/readers! :smile:
13.09.17: Finally figured out what my EPQ title is going to be, 'To what extent has Feminism lost its purpose over time?' or something similarly phrased like that anyways. Finally got my sketchbook today for Graphic Design v excited for that. Also went on my college's app, my current predicted grades -considering that I haven't taken any tests yet- is BBB, which is cool I guess, at least I have room to excel standards
18.09.17: Didn't use my frees efficiently today as I felt super tired, totally regret it though and will make it up tomorrow and rest of week
21/09/17: workload is starting to get crazy, 2 essays from the same subject on the same day, loads of prep learning and whatnot and don't even get me started on Graphics...as for English, my teachers expect us to be VERY independent. We're told to fill out prep learning booklets and annotate bits we'll cover in class however we only barely cover it which is v stressful. Either that or we cover it with a partner, as the only external student in my class and everyone with established cliques its hard as I end up sitting with all the quiet kids who don't really want to discuss the work and exchange ideas. Anywho, I'm beginning to start planning how I'm going to do my revision notes, I'm glad I haven't started STRAIGHT away seeing as I might have been making the wrong notes. I have one out of two of the textbooks required for history and they're so wordy! It's going to take me a while to get used to writing notes for history a-level i can tell... ALSO TWENTY-FIVE QUID FOR A TEXTBOOK LIKE???? actually done, why is the exam boards exploiting us i stg. Anywhoooooooooo ttyl
25/09/17: haven't done any work since I got home oops need to start my notes and use photoshop. I'm a bit frustrated with photoshop as it's my first time using it. I'm using Kemi Mai as my artist inspiration however I feel as though I can't capture the detail and realism she portrays so well in her work. Feeling meh :/.

19:12 update: didnt do any work today just honestly wasn't feeling it. I'll do better tomorrow :frown:
(edited 6 years ago)
28/09/17: got an essay back from english. got 3/40. Highest someone got in our class was 13/40.....surprisingly it were the girls next to me who - although I know not to judge a book by its cover - constantly speak of breast reduction, reality tv and other people. I think we were both shocked when I got a lower mark than them......they thought I was super clever as well :0

New target: make sure this doesnt happen again!

Going to rest for a bit before getting my work done.
28/09/17: Finally finished on the photoshop piece I was working on for my artist research of Kemi Mai. Considering it's my second time using photoshop, I'm pretty satisfied. Looking forward to presenting it in my sketchbook ^_^2017-09-28.png
02/10/17:

Guess who's here to complain again...Loads of work in graphics, my history teacher has broken her leg so we wont have her for a good few weeks and not doing so well with the essay writing aspect of English Language. Taking a break now but I need to start work soon, I actually used all my frees efficiently today and honestly, IT WAS EXHAUSTING! Anyways, will update v soon, probs after I've done some work :smile: bye!
07/10/17:
Semi-productive today, focused a few hours on prepping my graphics sketchbook so tomorrow I can stick things down and paint a few bits and bobs to complete my artist research for monday. I also have to write an analysis for both of my artist research. In class we're designin book covers now, I've nearly completed one but I'm a little slow seeing as I'm not very confident with Photoshop for things other than painting.

I've nearly finished the first chapter of the first section of notes for History Nazi Germany. Howvever, I know that I'll need to start focussing on Stuarts as I not only find the content harder to understand but also the essay style of where you analyse sources and write about them. As I've previously mentioned, my Nazi teacher (nazi Germany teacher that is......I just realised how that sounded) has broken her leg so we wont have her for a while and will in fact, be getting a replacement. We've not had her for 3 lessons so far. As for my Stuarts teacher, this has been the second week without her, next week we won't have her either....that's 6 lessons. I'm a bit worried but when the half term holiday starts next week, I'm going to try and do some reading on it.

As for English, I've been steadily getting better but I'm going to make some more flashcards with as many terminology techniques as possible so when I work in class I can be as specific as possible. If I have any surprise essays (especially in Language) then I'll know I'll be fine.

As for my EPQ title, it's evolved from 'Has Feminism lost its purpose over the years?' to 'Does 21st century Feminism in countries such as America and Britain focus too much on trivial matters in comparison to first wave Feminism?' But I'm still waiting for that to be approved by my Centre Coordinator. I have a letter to go to the University library in my city, and hopefully I'll be able to find some interesting books there. That way it'll look like I've included loads of different types of sources. I'll also hopefully start a survey up and publish it on TSR to get as many people doing it as possible. As I'm an EPQ student, my school has invited me to participate in its newly formed Baccalaureate where I have to complete 120 hours of extra-curricular activites. I just need to fill out my application form tomorrow and I should be good to go!

As for making friends, I'm doing okay, everyone is starting to chill more, making it less scary to speak to new people however it's still hard. I've met some nice new people that I hope to eventually hang out with at lunch as I need to branch out a bit more. It's a bit frustrating but I'm going to focus on my studies and then hopefully naturally make friends. I need to chill out a bit more, get my work done ASAP, balance out my life and try and watch more netflix shows so I have things to talk about with them. Due to the pressurising atmosphere to revise and work hard constantly at my college, I've had the same stress levels of before sitting a GCSE exam, if not, even higher. But it's fine! I'm sure it'll get better soon.

Anyways, this was a bigger post than usual as I was a but inactive last few days, but this should pretty much summarise my current thought and feelings with life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending