The Student Room Group

University won't let me transfer degrees

I'm studying history and Spanish at Leeds uni and have been asking the law department to let me transfer to first year law and Spanish for 2017 start but they won't let me

I got the required grades at a level for the course and have been emailing them for a month but they say there's no space on the course as it is popular

I'm wondering how a language degree can be that popular they can't let one more student onto it, much less a degree where this is the first year it's on offer

Not sure what to do since I'm really unhappy on my current degree and I know I want to do law after I graduate anyways

Plus I took a law module last year so they know I have a real passion for it and I put Leeds as my firm uni

Any advice? Really don't want to reapply next year
You can always do a conversion course although that incurs an addition year of uni and £14k or so.

You probably won't manage to change courses if the department said it's full.
Reply 2
Original post by HoldThisL
You can always do a conversion course although that incurs an addition year of uni and £14k or so.

You probably won't manage to change courses if the department said it's full.

Yeah that's the thing I won't get loans for that and since I'm going into second year it'll be four years until I graduate the GDL which is the same amount of time as graduating LLB law and Spanish if I switch now

Am wondering if it's worth still trying to see if they'll eventually let me on cause I really wanna do that course and have chosen to give them £9k a year
Unis have absolute numbers for degree courses - number of teaching hours, lecture seats etc. They cant just 'fit you in' at the last minute because you have changed your mind.

You have two choices - dont go to Uni this year, and apply for Law in the autumn for 2018 entry - or accept you cant do Law and accept you'll be doing 3 years of History and Spanish.

This is not the time to throw a toddler tantrum. You picked the 'wrong' course, not the University.
Original post by E777
Yeah that's the thing I won't get loans for that and since I'm going into second year it'll be four years until I graduate the GDL which is the same amount of time as graduating LLB law and Spanish if I switch now

Am wondering if it's worth still trying to see if they'll eventually let me on cause I really wanna do that course and have chosen to give them £9k a year

You are behaving like a spoilt child.

They are full and have said no.

If you wanted to do law then why didnt you apply for it in the first place?
If you wanted to do law then why not apply elsewhere?

Unis get annoyed when you say and accept one course then have basically done so so you think you can transfer to another popular course.

You are just another student. If they dont have space then they dont have it. Bugging them will just make you seem even more of a pest.
Original post by returnmigrant
Unis have absolute numbers for degree courses - number of teaching hours, lecture seats etc. They cant just 'fit you in' at the last minute because you have changed your mind.

You have two choices - dont go to Uni this year, and apply for Law in the autumn for 2018 entry - or accept you cant do Law and accept you'll be doing 3 years of History and Spanish.

This is not the time to throw a toddler tantrum. You picked the 'wrong' course, not the University.

True. It is particularly finite for year-abroad courses, which the Law with Hispanic Law is. They tend to be only 20 or so students on them, and they fill up fast. The straight LLB is more flexible with taking on late additions.

Original post by E777
I'm studying history and Spanish at Leeds uni and have been asking the law department to let me transfer to first year law and Spanish for 2017 start but they won't let me

I got the required grades at a level for the course and have been emailing them for a month but they say there's no space on the course as it is popular

I'm wondering how a language degree can be that popular they can't let one more student onto it, much less a degree where this is the first year it's on offer

Not sure what to do since I'm really unhappy on my current degree and I know I want to do law after I graduate anyways

Plus I took a law module last year so they know I have a real passion for it and I put Leeds as my firm uni

Any advice? Really don't want to reapply next year

Have you asked about being put on the straight LLB?
I imagine the "popular" part is not the Spanish language aspect but either the Law or international study aspect...

However it's their prerogative to decide whether to allow students to transfer. They aren't obligated to let you do so - they accepted you to do one degree programme, not any degree programme.
Reply 7
Original post by returnmigrant

I didn't realise they only had a set number but I was considering waiting it out a couple weeks in case someone already on the course drops out.

Not really throwing a tantrum was just wondering if anyone thought there was any chance for me or if I should give up lol
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
You are behaving like a spoilt child.

They are full and have said no.

If you wanted to do law then why didnt you apply for it in the first place?
If you wanted to do law then why not apply elsewhere?

Unis get annoyed when you say and accept one course then have basically done so so you think you can transfer to another popular course.

You are just another student. If they dont have space then they dont have it. Bugging them will just make you seem even more of a pest.

Course wasn't offered at the uni last year and didn't know I'd want to do law at the time lol i obviously thought I'd chosen a degree I'd enjoy but realised it didn't turn out that way

I didn't apply just so I could transfer. I applied because I wanted to go there and do that course and I now realise I'm not enjoying it so I was wondering if I could switch.

Was just wanting other opinions and advice if there's anything else I can do but I guess there isn't
Reply 9
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
True. It is particularly finite for year-abroad courses, which the Law with Hispanic Law is. They tend to be only 20 or so students on them, and they fill up fast. The straight LLB is more flexible with taking on late additions.

Have you asked about being put on the straight LLB?

Yeah but they've said all law courses are oversubscribed for this year plus I really enjoy Spanish and wanna carry on with it
Reply 10
Original post by artful_lounger
I imagine the "popular" part is not the Spanish language aspect but either the Law or international study aspect...

However it's their prerogative to decide whether to allow students to transfer. They aren't obligated to let you do so - they accepted you to do one degree programme, not any degree programme.

Yeah I know they don't have to let me if just seems like every other person I know who wanted to switch was able to eventually so I was wondering if there's any other way around this

Usually a uni will try to acomódate you if they can is all especially if you meet the requirements and they've accepted other people who missed the grades
Original post by E777

I would suggest acing your current course and applying for TCs during your degree,a tonne of people from my undergrad uni who got TCs at the first try were language students. It seems to be a desirable skill for law firms, and if you got a TC in 2nd/3rd year (idk what year you apply if you're on a 4 year course. I imagine penultimate still) they will pay for your GDL. Tbh these days the market is so oversaturated with LLB and GDL grads that unless youve got a TC lined up it's risky paying for the GDL yourself anyway.
Original post by E777
Course wasn't offered at the uni last year and didn't know I'd want to do law at the time lol i obviously thought I'd chosen a degree I'd enjoy but realised it didn't turn out that way

I didn't apply just so I could transfer. I applied because I wanted to go there and do that course and I now realise I'm not enjoying it so I was wondering if I could switch.

Was just wanting other opinions and advice if there's anything else I can do but I guess there isn't

If you are as passionate as you say you are then youd just go and find a course elsewhere or reapply or do straight LLB As per BIF).

The advice is either do non law or reapply or find another uni in clearing for law.
Reply 13
If you are as passionate as you say you are then youd just go and find a course elsewhere or reapply or do straight LLB As per BIF).

The advice is either do non law or reapply or find another uni in clearing for law.

Yeah I could but I've already got accommodation lined up in Leeds and I know the city and campus well now so I'd rather carry on than make a rush clearing decision or take a year out

Plus I think clearings closed by now

Think I'll just stick with my course
Original post by E777
Yeah but they've said all law courses are oversubscribed for this year plus I really enjoy Spanish and wanna carry on with it

that's the reason then - their law department is oversubscribed this year. They probably wouldn't have a problem with your doing Spanish and/with X where X is anything but law.

Doing a joint honours doesn't affect the fact that the lecture rooms still only hold a certain number of students; you don't send half your body to lectures if you're a joint honours :x
Original post by E777
Yeah I could but I've already got accommodation lined up in Leeds and I know the city and campus well now so I'd rather carry on than make a rush clearing decision or take a year out

Plus I think clearings closed by now

Think I'll just stick with my course

So not really that passionate. Just do the non law route if you are still interested. By the time you graduate it could be nearly SQE anyway so you can try for a job directly in a law firm.
Reply 16
So not really that passionate. Just do the non law route if you are still interested. By the time you graduate it could be nearly SQE anyway so you can try for a job directly in a law firm.

I am obviously but I don't wanna take a year out now cause that would put me two years behind
I know I can still go into law with a BA but I just wanted to study the LLB course cause it looks really interesting
I'm in the same situation as you with law at the uni, feel free to message me :smile:
Original post by E777
I am obviously but I don't wanna take a year out now cause that would put me two years behind
I know I can still go into law with a BA but I just wanted to study the LLB course cause it looks really interesting

Law has quite a high drop-out rate because many people have the perception that law is "really interesting" but 4 months in and they're reading an ex tempore judgment by Lord Blackburn from 1868 and not having a clue about what any of it means. That is not to say that law isn't interesting, as it is. However, your interest in the law could be quite superficial and you are giving a lot up to pursue it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by E777

Anyway the choice is made now. A passionate person to me would have quit or sought more than one transfer and on to LLB. I dont think if you go to an interview and say it looks really interesting hen they are going to think of anyone but Steve Davis. id agree with Big in that the impression is you have a very idealised view of what its like.

The bigger issue to leave is being really unhappy on your current degree. Bonkers to continue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending