The Student Room Group

EPQ ideas on foreign languages?

I've been offered the opportunity to do the EPQ provided I can find the right topic and title. I'm genuinely interested in doing this, but I just cannot seem to deduce a topic to write about.

I'm interested in modern languages in general, but my particular favourites are Japanese, Spanish, Korean, Russian or French. Subjects like history and film interest me quite a bit, but literature isn't something I'm that keen on.

Could anyone provide me with a starting point on finding the right title? Any help would be appreciated!
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
If its any consolation, I'm in exactly the same predicament. I really want to do the EPQ on something language based (preferably French/Spanish) but I can't think of a really good title. I've thought about literature but a) I wouldn't feel confident doing loads of in-depth critical analysis and b) Literature is quite subjective so I'd find it hard to get lots of research in (not just opinions). I'm really interested in foreign film and culture in general but I find it hard to actually locate foreign films since the UK is hardly ML crazy and my internet connection is shoddy. I did think about doing something on French linguistics but I looked into it and found myself to be bogged down in terminology and frankly quite dull commentary. I swear the hardest part for some must be deciding the title...
Reply 3
Original post by Alludeen1
If its any consolation, I'm in exactly the same predicament. I really want to do the EPQ on something language based (preferably French/Spanish) but I can't think of a really good title. I've thought about literature but a) I wouldn't feel confident doing loads of in-depth critical analysis and b) Literature is quite subjective so I'd find it hard to get lots of research in (not just opinions). I'm really interested in foreign film and culture in general but I find it hard to actually locate foreign films since the UK is hardly ML crazy and my internet connection is shoddy. I did think about doing something on French linguistics but I looked into it and found myself to be bogged down in terminology and frankly quite dull commentary. I swear the hardest part for some must be deciding the title...

I understand exactly what you're talking about. Literature isn't really my thing at all, and I don't take English lit at A-Level so I might find it hard. I looked at film too, but not entirely sure since I don't know Japanese well enough to comment on the language critically.

Thankfully, I brainstormed quite a bit last night, did a big mind map and went on wikipedia to give me some basic ideas to look at.

I'm now considering doing the following:

- The use of English in Japanese media.
- It is fair to say that Chinese is one language. (i.e discuss the dialects)
- How have foreign immigrants integrated into Japanese society since WW2
- Why are the British and Japanese so bad at languages?
- Is Japanese truly an isolate language or does it belong to a language family?

So this might give you a little inspiration perhaps?
Reply 4
Original post by serebro
I've been offered the opportunity to do the EPQ provided I can find the right topic and title. I'm genuinely interested in doing this, but I just cannot seem to deduce a topic to write about.

I'm interested in modern languages in general, but my particular favourites are Japanese, Spanish, Korean, Russian or French. Subjects like history and film interest me quite a bit, but literature isn't something I'm that keen on.

Could anyone provide me with a starting point on finding the right title? Any help would be appreciated!

It's been 3 years since you posted this and I was wondering what your idea was because I have one but I don't think it's interesting.
Also what did you get and how did you start off?
Original post by MrsSasuNaru
It's been 3 years since you posted this and I was wondering what your idea was because I have one but I don't think it's interesting.
Also what did you get and how did you start off?

Please don't post in such old threads; if you want to discuss foreign language EPQ ideas, it would be much better to create a new thread and find active posters who are in the same position as you :smile:

Thread closed.

Latest

Trending

Trending