The Student Room Group

Experiences of studying Philosophy, what is it all about?

Not sure about either the Philosophy or the Law degree?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by anon5252
Is Philosophy hard?

Well that's a very philosophical question....

Philosophy is understanding human nature and knowledge. It uses a great deal of critical thought and abstract thinking.

It's not for everyone. I didn't personally enjoy it- but lots of people rave about it and really enjoy studying it.
Reply 2
Original post by Friffinghell
Well that's a very philosophical question....

Philosophy is understanding human nature and knowledge. It uses a great deal of critical thought and abstract thinking.

It's not for everyone. I didn't personally enjoy it- but lots of people rave about it and really enjoy studying it.

That is true. What aspects did you personally not enjoy about it or was it the entire degree that you didn't enjoy? As well as this, have you got any tips for my personal statement?
That is true. What aspects did you personally not enjoy about it or was it the entire degree that you didn't enjoy? As well as this, have you got any tips for my personal statement?

I dropped it after 2 weeks and switched out. I love a good navel gaze and smoke a power of weed but so much introspection and ideas without any real proof nor merit just drove me mad.

Personal statement- "What you want, why you want it, what you've overcome to get there."

Try to avoid cliches.
Not sure about either the Philosophy or the Law degree?

Why don't you do Philo degree then a Law conversion? And to be honest, if you don't like Law, just switch and vice versa.

I study Philosophy, in my 3rd year. What questions in specific, would you like to know?
"What is it all about?"

That is what philosophy is about :wink:

Also there are some ways to combine them - many law courses will have an option (or sometimes several) in jurisprudence, and there are a small number of QLD that include philosophy study - such as PPL, Politics, Philosophy and Law at KCL and Warwick (although I'm not certain about the latter being a QLD and they're a bit vague on that). There are some others, such as I think you can do Law with a minor subject in Philosophy at Keele and still have a QLD. However given the changing requirements to enter the legal profession, a Philosophy degree would be perfectly suitable to either pursue a GDL or attempt the apparent "super exam" with proper study.
Reply 6
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Why don't you do Philo degree then a Law conversion? And to be honest, if you don't like Law, just switch and vice versa.

I study Philosophy, in my 3rd year. What questions in specific, would you like to know?

Do you know the type of careers that you can go into with a Philosophy degree? I gained a insight into the degree itself by attending a University open day today. I'm considering the Law conversion course, but it seems quite expensive.
Reply 7
Original post by Friffinghell
I dropped it after 2 weeks and switched out. I love a good navel gaze and smoke a power of weed but so much introspection and ideas without any real proof nor merit just drove me mad.

Yup, introspection and almost never reaching a final conclusion is what philosophy is. I love philosophy, but I can understand why some don't like it. I've def had days of lying on my floor and doubting my own existence! Haha.

A favourite quote of mine about the study of philosophy says:

"The problems are often more important than the solutions - if indeed there are solutions at all... The problems in philosophy are ways of seeking understanding about ourselves and our place in the world.
Any development that helps us to see an old problem in a new light - that opens up new possible positions with regards to an old philosophical problem - is a development that increases our understanding not only of the philosophical problem. but also and thereby it increases our understanding of ourselves."
(Michael Della Rocca)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending