The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Failing first year law

So I deferred my exams for August from the advice from my university wellbeing service, and anyway, I have failed one module; which means I cannot progress to second year. It was a combination of feeling down, but it is my own fault as I did not put much effort in.I did email academic staff, but got my results at 5pm today. Should I continue at Exeter? I am literally so confused currently, and am scared.
This is the risk of deferring exams. No way to refer them in the same academic year if you fail.

What was the module? What was your percentage? And how did you do in the other modules?
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
This is the risk of deferring exams. No way to refer them in the same academic year if you fail.

What was the module? What was your percentage? And how did you do in the other modules?

Exactly, I was fully aware of the potential ramifications, but now my worries have been reaffirmed, rather overwhelming.

So the module was contract law, 37%. Other modules; Criminal 52% Legal Foundations 47% & C&A 41%. Not great but literally just wanted to aim for a pass for each.
Original post by Denning2016
Exactly, I was fully aware of the potential ramifications, but now my worries have been reaffirmed, rather overwhelming.

So the module was contract law, 37%. Other modules; Criminal 52% Legal Foundations 47% & C&A 41%. Not great but literally just wanted to aim for a pass for each.

Perhaps law isn't for you?

If you think you have something which will change if you resit first year, you might put in more effort or there is some way to manage MH issues more effectively, then I say go ahead. If you are likely to be in the same position again, then I don't see the point. Law gets "harder"-ish.

It is a dry degree which takes a lot of discipline to grind through. Maybe politics or history is something you find more enjoyable and less likely to flair your MH issues?
Reply 4
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
Perhaps law isn't for you?

If you think you have something which will change if you resit first year, you might put in more effort or there is some way to manage MH issues more effectively, then I say go ahead. If you are likely to be in the same position again, then I don't see the point. Law gets "harder"-ish.

It is a dry degree which takes a lot of discipline to grind through. Maybe politics or history is something you find more enjoyable and less likely to flair your MH issues?

I understand; it has been a turbulent year for my personal life, but I guess I feel like this would be my last chance so would have to pull through. But I have a pupilage for when I graduate, as a family friend is head of a chambers, and have wanted to do law since I was 13.
Reply 5
I understand; it has been a turbulent year for my personal life, but I guess I feel like this would be my last chance so would have to pull through. But I have a pupilage for when I graduate, as a family friend is head of a chambers, and have wanted to do law since I was 13.

So doing an alternative subject is not what I want to do, I am aware of GDL but reluctant to do that.
Lol. You're going to get zero sympathy now.

I personally have no problem with nepotism, but there will be an absolute tidal wave of jealousy coming your way.

Maybe it was your mentality. You expected to do poorly so put in not a lot of effort? It can happen. If you put in at least some effort in were you to resit, you could do a lot better.

You don't need a law degree to become a barrister, however. Though if you cannot pass first-year law, I don't see how you would pass the GDL (which is akin to first year law plus second year law all sat within one academic year).

Original post by Trinculo
Lol. You're going to get zero sympathy now.

I personally have no problem with nepotism, but there will be an absolute tidal wave of jealousy coming your way.

People often over-expect from their friends. What is to OP a lifeline could be a half-forgotten conversation to their family friend.
(edited 6 years ago)
Tricky. Do you have some sort of mental health or personal issues?
It just got very messy and even worse if your reason was you couldnt be bothered to put the effort in, not sure whether thats worse than you couldnt handle the material?

Options?

You cant progress.

Resit module
Retake module
Retake year.
Move to a different course
Move to a different uni.
Suspend studies

If you retook the year, moved course and restarted or just moved to another uni for a fresh start?
You still have potentially unresolved MH issues?
Law can be very unforgiving when it comes to academic performance.
If you are determined to pursue then I expect you have to make some big calls and be prepared to sort yourself out.

If you intend to be a barrister, then its worrying if you cant cope with year 1. As suggested a serious rethink might be in order.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending