The Student Room Group

International Students applying for medicine 2018 entry

Since I found none, I thought of opening a thread for international students applying to medicine for 2018 entry. Please post your GCSE's, A levels results obtained or predicted, UKCAT score and the Universities you are applying to. No hurry mates, take your time, we still have around 3 months to submit applications in October.

IGCSE's - 7A* - 1A - 1B (First Language English)

UKCAT - Total 2650, average 663

VR - 560 (just like most students, it was hell long and complicated)
DM - 650
QR - 830
AR - 610

SJT - Band 3 (This disappointed me the most because I scored Band 2 in all my Medify mocks)

Predicted A levels: Waiting for it

I'm still grateful for all that I got since it could've been worse, who knows. Would love to have suggestions of my chances of making it to medical schools (considering I get good A level grades).

I'm considering these unis to apply to:

1. Queens Mary - Barts
2. St. George's
3. University of Birmingham
4. Kings/Nottingham/Manchester/Sheffield

Advise me guys, esp. those living in the UK since you have more idea than me. Thanks!
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey!
Thanks for starting this thread.
Your grades are awesome.
What did you do for work experience?
I'm an international student too, applying from India.
Reply 2
Original post by Devinaa22
Hey!
Thanks for starting this thread.
Your grades are awesome.
What did you do for work experience?
I'm an international student too, applying from India.

Oh hey, nice to hear from you! I'm an Indian national too but since I'm living in KSA for all my life and currently doing my A levels here as well, I will be applying from KSA.

Thank you, but I don't think my grades are exceptional but good enough I hope.
I did work experience in my dad's government polyclinic in Jeddah for 2 weeks and now I'm planning to do 2 more weeks of work in a hospital in India since I'm in India now on vacation. Then I also plan to work 2 weeks in a physiotherapy clinic. This is all I'll be able to do.
Hey there I'm an international student too! I would love to apply to Barts but the UCAS tariff for people havin an interview is very high :frown: http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/admissions-statistics-for-medicine--dentistry/
Reply 4
Hey
I am an international student and my stats are :

IGCSE's - 9A* - 1B (First Language English)

UKCAT - Total 2710, average 678

SJT - Band 1

Predicted A levels: 4 A*

I have a decent amount of volunteer work and shadowing in hospital

I was thinking of applying to Kings, Barts, Edinburgh and Birmingham . I am worried that my UKCAT may be low for Kings or Glasgow? Any advice?
Original post by ash9911
Hey
I am an international student and my stats are :

IGCSE's - 9A* - 1B (First Language English)

UKCAT - Total 2710, average 678

SJT - Band 1

Predicted A levels: 4 A*

I have a decent amount of volunteer work and shadowing in hospital

I was thinking of applying to Kings, Barts, Edinburgh and Birmingham . I am worried that my UKCAT may be low for Kings or Glasgow? Any advice?

Hey there congrats on your stats! According to this http://www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_475041_en.pdf
you are over the previous cut offs so glasgow will be safe i guess. If I were u i would apply to exeter as they look into predicted A2 more. Good luck for your application!
Reply 6
Original post by Pradipta
Hey there congrats on your stats! According to this http://www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_475041_en.pdf
you are over the previous cut offs so glasgow will be safe i guess. If I were u i would apply to exeter as they look into predicted A2 more. Good luck for your application!

Thanks so much for the advise.
I wasn't so keen on Exeter as it has very few international slots. Any other Uni you can advise?
should be a strong candidate for QUB and Nottingham;
moreover the international applicant intake at these unis is fairly large... comparable to Birmingham and Kings.

Posted from TSR Mobile
do we need to add a reference to our UCAS application?
Original post by enviromed
do we need to add a reference to our UCAS application?

Yes
Hi there, I am also an international student applying for 2018 entry.
my stats:
iGCSE : 9 A*
AS : 4 A's
A2 prediction : Chem and Physics A*, Maths A
UKCAT 2550, SJ3
BMAT : TBA

Looking at : Dundee, St Andrews, Keele, Barts, Bristol, Leeds.

I think Barts out of the question now though as UKCAT so low.

opinions anyone?
With those IGSCE scores, you stand a good chance for an interview at Birmingham
Original post by mkshyderabad

there's a different selection criteria for international students. I don't think they look at GCSEs, only ukcat and nonacademic qualities after passing the minimum academic requirements.
Original post by ArcaneMists
there's a different selection criteria for international students. I don't think they look at GCSEs, only ukcat and nonacademic qualities after passing the minimum academic requirements.

Yeah, once the academic cut off is met for International students, the UKCAT is used for ranking. Birmingham says that the UKCAT cutoff for International applicants in 2016 was 2350; so a score of 2550 should also be good for an interview

E1C5DC35-5A4E-48DF-8D03-E4CF1EF3D7FF.jpg.jpeg
Original post by Jasir Alam
Since I found none, I thought of opening a thread for international students applying to medicine for 2018 entry. Please post your GCSE's, A levels results obtained or predicted, UKCAT score and the Universities you are applying to. No hurry mates, take your time, we still have around 3 months to submit applications in October.

IGCSE's - 7A* - 1A - 1B (First Language English)

UKCAT - Total 2650, average 663

VR - 560 (just like most students, it was hell long and complicated)
DM - 650
QR - 830
AR - 610

SJT - Band 3 (This disappointed me the most because I scored Band 2 in all my Medify mocks)

Predicted A levels: Waiting for it

I'm still grateful for all that I got since it could've been worse, who knows. Would love to have suggestions of my chances of making it to medical schools (considering I get good A level grades).

I'm considering these unis to apply to:

1. Queens Mary - Barts
2. St. George's
3. University of Birmingham
4. Kings/Nottingham/Manchester/Sheffield

Advise me guys, esp. those living in the UK since you have more idea than me. Thanks!

Heyy! Could you tell me more about how you got to do work experience in KSA? I live there too and am planning to apply for medicine from here in 2018 too.

I have 6A* at GCSE
4 A’s at AS level and I’m yet to complete A levels.
Original post by niroabs1989
Hi there, I am also an international student applying for 2018 entry.
my stats:
iGCSE : 9 A*
AS : 4 A's
A2 prediction : Chem and Physics A*, Maths A
UKCAT 2550, SJ3
BMAT : TBA

Looking at : Dundee, St Andrews, Keele, Barts, Bristol, Leeds.

I think Barts out of the question now though as UKCAT so low.

opinions anyone?

Your GCSEs are amazing! You should definitely consider Birmingham and Cardiff as you would be secured a place there with those GCSEs and they dont pay a lot of attention to UKCAT as well.
Original post by helloitsmeq23
Your GCSEs are amazing! You should definitely consider Birmingham and Cardiff as you would be secured a place there with those GCSEs and they dont pay a lot of attention to UKCAT as well.

Thanks for the input. however both Cardiff and Birmingham are off the table as I don't have A level biology.
Original post by niroabs1989
Thanks for the input. however both Cardiff and Birmingham are off the table as I don't have A level biology.

Look into Kings College London and St. Georges as well. They do not require Biology :smile:
Original post by Pradipta
Hey there I'm an international student too! I would love to apply to Barts but the UCAS tariff for people havin an interview is very high :frown: http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/admissions-statistics-for-medicine--dentistry/

What are your stats?
Original post by mkshyderabad

thanks but no chance of Birmingham, they require A level Bio.

Latest

Trending

Trending