The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Current LSE student, ask me anything

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aj_16
As the title states, I'm a current LSE student. The process can be quite long and I found when applying last year that there are numerous questions I needed the answer to which I couldn't find answers for. I have been at LSE for 2 months so far and I'm loving my experience. I hope to answer any queries you people may have... fire away

Hows your first year compared to A2 and GCSE. Easier/harder/the same?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
HOw long does it take to give offers? I'm applying for financial maths and stats
Reply 322
Hi there, this is a very useful resource to find out more about what other people at LSE think about the university / student life / accommodation etc.
https://www.unibudy.com/university/575cbb3f36f6c724825e05f9
Hi, I've applied for Environmental Policy with Econ. My grades:

O Level : 5A* 3A 2B
A/S : AAAB

Do you think I have a shot if my Personal Statement is good?
Hi
I have applied for BSc Finance at LSE.
My subjects are Maths, Physics, Applied Business and Economics.
My predicted grades are A*A*A*A respectively.
The course page on LSE specifically says that Further Maths is strongly preferred. I couldn't take it due to timetable clashes. Do you think that the lack of FM as one of my subjects will hinder my chances of getting into LSE?

Thanks for your Help
Reply 325
I am applying for International Relations and History, and I have 1 A 4 B's and 4 C's at GCSE, but I was ill during my GCSEs and can provide a doctor's note, do you think it will be easier to get an offer? I have predictions of A*AAB
Hi, I got 5A* 3A 2B in GCSEs. And 3 As at A/s level. Can i possible get in for Econ and Env policy?
Original post by Aj_16
As the title states, I'm a current LSE student. The process can be quite long and I found when applying last year that there are numerous questions I needed the answer to which I couldn't find answers for. I have been at LSE for 2 months so far and I'm loving my experience. I hope to answer any queries you people may have... fire away

Hi,

(Indian student here)
I've applied to LSE in October for a BSc in Economics and I'm really anxious since I haven't heard back yet. I've heard not being rejected until 8 weeks after applying is a good sign, but would really want to get some assurance.

For my grades,
IGCSE: 5A* (Math, English, Physics, Chemistry, Biology), 2A (Hindi, Business Studies)
AS levels: 4A (Math, Physics, Economics, Chemistry), 1C (Business Studies)
I've informed LSE about some circumstances I was facing during my AS levels, and they assured me that they'd take that into consideration.
Predicated for A levels: 4A* (Math, Physics, Economics, Chemistry)
My school doesn't offer Further Math, and I've heard it is highly recommended. Will that be a problem?

I also have quite a few extra-curriculars such as research projects, MUNs, client projects, national level sport, etc that have been mentioned in my application.

Should I hope for good news? Also, by when do they generally give their decisions?

It'd be really great if you could reply, and thank you for answering all our questions.
Hi.
Im from Portugal and I'm doing the UGAA. The exam has standard a-level maths but I've seen past papers and there are things I haven't learned here in Portugal.
Is there a place with a list of contents or topics learned in a level maths so I can check what I have learned and what I haven't?

Thank you very much
Hi,

I got an offer for BSc Management at LSE and got Northumberland House. I wanted to ask if cooking on your own will be a big problem in first yr? And how is social life and everything at Northumberland House???
I have also thought of applying to LSE and would like to know what's the normal cost of living (including food, accommodation and other costs). Also, are there campus jobs to do and do they pay manageable money? (I'm an international student)
Original post by Pulkit1999
I have also thought of applying to LSE and would like to know what's the normal cost of living (including food, accommodation and other costs). Also, are there campus jobs to do and do they pay manageable money? (I'm an international student)

Accommodation: LSE being in central london means accommodation is going to be a very large part of your expenses. You probably are going to be living in a hall your first year and prices are going to be from around 130 p/w to 350 p/w depending upon hall and room type. So you're probably looking at 5-11k a year on accommodation.

Food: Eating out is of course expensive. The best way to avoid this is living in a catered hall (ex bankside house or garden halls). This means that one meal will be included as part of your rent. Alternatively, you can cook food yourself (don't really know how much that would cost because I did not do that but it is going to be less than eating out). You will be spending atleast £4 a meal for even a meal deal if youre eating out.

Other costs: mostly depend on lifestyle choices such as going out and what not. Transport can become quite expensive if you're not careful so plan in advance if you're going to need a monthly pass or not; a Zone 1-2 travel pass is around £86 a month. Books: you can buy used and so it really is not that bad.

If you have any other questions I am happy to answer them
Source: Now second year lse student
Original post by AshrafSal
Accommodation: LSE being in central london means accommodation is going to be a very large part of your expenses. You probably are going to be living in a hall your first year and prices are going to be from around 130 p/w to 350 p/w depending upon hall and room type. So you're probably looking at 5-11k a year on accommodation.

Food: Eating out is of course expensive. The best way to avoid this is living in a catered hall (ex bankside house or garden halls). This means that one meal will be included as part of your rent. Alternatively, you can cook food yourself (don't really know how much that would cost because I did not do that but it is going to be less than eating out). You will be spending atleast £4 a meal for even a meal deal if youre eating out.

Other costs: mostly depend on lifestyle choices such as going out and what not. Transport can become quite expensive if you're not careful so plan in advance if you're going to need a monthly pass or not; a Zone 1-2 travel pass is around £86 a month. Books: you can buy used and so it really is not that bad.

If you have any other questions I am happy to answer them
Source: Now second year lse student

Thanks a lot, that was indeed helpful :smile:
Hi,I'm looking to study law with Spanish but after looking at the LSE website, they don't seem to offer law with a language. I was just wondering If there is an equivalent that is offered?
Original post by alishah_andani
Hi,I'm looking to study law with Spanish but after looking at the LSE website, they don't seem to offer law with a language. I was just wondering If there is an equivalent that is offered?

Take straight law and do Spanish as an optional module/evening class

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi I am planning to apply for bsc management in lse. I am currently doing the IB and have predicted 38/45 with 766 in HL.
Do you think a stand a chance of getting an offer?
Original post by alishah_andani

There is a language school at LSE, where some students are able to take a language as an outside option during years 1 and 2.

However, the LLB law degree has no outside options, so you will not be able to take Spanish as part of your degree.

You can instead take a certificate non-degree Spanish course at the language centre, but if you are set on doing Spanish as part of your degree, then LSE probably isn't for you
Original post by LeapingLucy
There is a language school at LSE, where some students are able to take a language as an outside option during years 1 and 2.

However, the LLB law degree has no outside options, so you will not be able to take Spanish as part of your degree.

You can instead take a certificate non-degree Spanish course at the language centre, but if you are set on doing Spanish as part of your degree, then LSE probably isn't for you

The law degree has one outside option which can be taken in your second or third year.
will I be able to get in with one A* 4 A's 2 B's and one C?
Hi, I'm a student from Malaysia wanting to apple lse for accounting and finance. My current predicted grades for my a-level are:
A* math
A accounting
A Economics
B further math

I have also taken IGCSE (6A* 4A). Do you lse is likely to give me an offer with these grades?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending