The Student Room Group

I'm too skinny!!

ok so I'm not on a diet, I don't do too much exercise and I eat a normal amount...
Why am I so skinny?? I'm not anorexic but I'm just very skinny (sometimes I get embarrass by it) is this a good or a bad thing??
is there a way I can put on a little weight by eating healthy food instead of junk food??

Scroll to see replies

You probably have a fast metabolism. It's not a bad thing
Original post by EbonyW
ok so I'm not on a diet, I don't do too much exercise and I eat a normal amount...
Why am I so skinny?? I'm not anorexic but I'm just very skinny (sometimes I get embarrass by it) is this a good or a bad thing??
is there a way I can put on a little weight by eating healthy food instead of junk food??

Maybe protien/protein shakes will help. Junk food your probs burn off to quickly and still is super bad for you even if your metabolism burns off the fat. Some people are naturally skinny how old are you? I had lots of friends that were super skinny when they were in their teens but they are bulky now at age 25 because there motabolism has settled and isn't as high x
Original post by CrazyKittenLady
Maybe protien/protein shakes will help. Junk food your probs burn off to quickly and still is super bad for you even if your metabolism burns off the fat. Some people are naturally skinny how old are you? I had lots of friends that were super skinny when they were in their teens but they are bulky now at age 25 because there motabolism has settled and isn't as high x

ok great thanks for the idea!! anything else food wise??
I'm 15
also I would like to build up my muscles by doing workouts :wink: but if I do will I loose even more weight?
I'm the same although there was a time I suffered with something like anorexia. Just means you have a fast metabolism, maybe eat more carbs :smile:
Original post by EbonyW
ok great thanks for the idea!! anything else food wise??
I'm 15
also I would like to build up my muscles by doing workouts :wink: but if I do will I loose even more weight?

15 cool hopefully then your metabolism will change as your hormones even out. Protein will be the best the shakes can be really high and lots of quorn stuff will help or chicken and eggs if you eat meat. xxx
wow so there are some people in the same boat as me?!
how did you cope? did you put on some weight as you got older?
ok :smile: thankyou!
Original post by CrazyKittenLady
15 cool hopefully then your metabolism will change as your hormones even out. Protein will be the best the shakes can be really high and lots of quorn stuff will help or chicken and eggs if you eat meat. xxx

right... where can you buy these shakes? anywhere particular?
yep I do eat meat...
Original post by EbonyW
right... where can you buy these shakes? anywhere particular?
yep I do eat meat...

I don't really know loads on amazon and all different flavours Defo worth trying :wink: x
Reply 9
ye protein shakes is a healthy way for that
Original post by EbonyW

If you are abnormally skinny for your diet, lifestyle etc you may want to just have a quick check with your GP that there isn't anything causing it. Past that, check your calorie intake against guidelines, make sure you're eating all the food groups you need to and are getting loads of protein, and generally keep track of your diet to make sure it's doing all it needs to.
Weight is mostly down to calories, but you also want to make sure you're getting all the nutrients you need with that. It's totally possible to put on weight/ stay a healthy weight with healthy foods as long as you are eating enough.
As long as you are a healthy weight it's absolutely fine to feel a little skinny and you can just work on feeling more comfortable with what you are rather than changing that. You can check if you are a healthy weight by using the NHS BMI checker and your GP can also check that for you.

Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by Kindred
If you are abnormally skinny for your diet, lifestyle etc you may want to just have a quick check with your GP that there isn't anything causing it. Past that, check your calorie intake against guidelines, make sure you're eating all the food groups you need to and are getting loads of protein, and generally keep track of your diet to make sure it's doing all it needs to.
Weight is mostly down to calories, but you also want to make sure you're getting all the nutrients you need with that. It's totally possible to put on weight/ stay a healthy weight with healthy foods as long as you are eating enough.
As long as you are a healthy weight it's absolutely fine to feel a little skinny and you can just work on feeling more comfortable with what you are rather than changing that. You can check if you are a healthy weight by using the NHS BMI checker and your GP can also check that for you.

Hope that helps :smile:

Wow thankyou so much! lots of great advice. :smile:
Ok so protein shakes, anything else? I've heard that nuts are good healthy fats- is this true??
I was 7 stone when I started high school and stayed around 8 stone throughout. Now I'm heavier at 22. Enjoy it while it lasts; metabolism slows down when you're older.

Original post by EbonyW
I have a fast metabolic rate too.
Original post by EbonyW
Wow thankyou so much! lots of great advice. :smile:
Ok so protein shakes, anything else? I've heard that nuts are good healthy fats- is this true??

I believe so. Also, avocado! It has a great creamy taste and is full of healthy fats. It's great on toast, with pasta, with egg etc etc.

Are you the person from the hair thread too? Considering a low weight and thin hair it may be that you have some level of vitamin deficiency. Might be worth asking your GP if you can have some blood tests to rule it out. If you do have a vitamin deficiency you can control it with diet or supplements.
That's especially worth doing if you also find yourself with low energy.
It may also just be genetics though. Some people are just built a bit differently.
Original post by hannxm
I was 7 stone when I started high school and stayed around 8 stone throughout. Now I'm heavier at 22. Enjoy it while it lasts; metabolism slows down when you're older.

so is it better to be really thin than "fat" ??
referring back 2 my question abt muscle building :wink: if I did workouts to build would I loose even more weight??
Original post by Kindred
I believe so. Also, avocado! It has a great creamy taste and is full of healthy fats. It's great on toast, with pasta, with egg etc etc.

Are you the person from the hair thread too? Considering a low weight and thin hair it may be that you have some level of vitamin deficiency. Might be worth asking your GP if you can have some blood tests to rule it out. If you do have a vitamin deficiency you can control it with diet or supplements.
That's especially worth doing if you also find yourself with low energy.
It may also just be genetics though. Some people are just built a bit differently.

My mum eats avocado and I always comment on how gross they look- should I just try one anyway??
Yep I am the person from the hair thread :wink: I do take supplements... maybe I dont take them often enough
Original post by EbonyW
My mum eats avocado and I always comment on how gross they look- should I just try one anyway??
Yep I am the person from the hair thread :wink: I do take supplements... maybe I dont take them often enough

Yes you should. I always thought they looked nasty, but one day I gave in and tried one and turns out I absolutely love them! :smile:

With supplements you need to make sure they are the right thing and the right amount. Over the counter ones are fine for a little boost for normal people or for mild deficiencies, but if you have a bigger deficiency you'll need to take a bigger dose.
Since you have no way of knowing what vitamins you may be low on or by how much yourself it's a good idea to just get a quick blood test to check.
If it comes up fine then you can just keep taking what you already do, but if anything else shows up your doc can set you up with the appropriate treatment, be that more over the counter ones, diet changes or a prescription dose.
Either extremes are unhealthy, but eating a lot of protein and working on muscle building will make you gain weight, but only through muscle. You may lose fat, just make sure it doesn't go beneath 5% otherwise, you would be going into the unhealthy range.

Original post by EbonyW
so is it better to be really thin than "fat" ??
referring back 2 my question abt muscle building :wink: if I did workouts to build would I loose even more weight??
Yes don't forget that you also need fat :smile: 20-32% is a healthy range of fat, going too low may cause you to loose your period so if it stops
just eat more and incorporate more healthy fats/more food into your diet. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending