The Student Room Group

What if I'm doing 4 A Levels but the actual offer from universities only require 3?

Does that mean the result of my fourth A Level does not matter at all?
For example, if the uni offer is AAA and I end up getting AAAE, am I still qualified?
Or will unis deliberately make offers that include 4 A levels if they know I'm doing 4?

Scroll to see replies

Some Uni courses I've seen have allowed lower grades overall with four A Levels instead of 3. Do the courses at the Unis you want to go to have that? You may want to email them and ask.
f you are doing general studies as your 4th some universities exclude this - and will ask for grades from your other 3 - some universities accept general studies - if you aren't doing general studies as your fourth then you have a back up A level and choose the best three grades out of the four. - unless the uni want subject specific grades.
Reply 3
Thanks for the reply. I think my question might be a it vague... let's make it clearer.
Let's assume:
I am doing 4 A Levels, all of them are accepted subjects (eg Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology, NOT something like general studies)
The university offer requires AAA in 3 A Levels without specifying in which
I end up getting AAAE in Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology respectively
So does my grades of AAAE satisfy the AAA offer from uni?

Also, another question is if university knows I'm doing 4 A Levels, will they deliberately make offers including 4 A Levels?
I know some really famous unis like Cambridge or Imperial will do that, but what about the others in general?
If you are made an offer for AAA, your fourth subject would be excluded.

Your fourth subject would only matter if they explicitly say that your offer is contingent on four subjects.
Original post by ML8020
Thanks for the reply. I think my question might be a it vague... let's make it clearer.
Let's assume:
I am doing 4 A Levels, all of them are accepted subjects (eg Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology, NOT something like general studies)
The university offer requires AAA in 3 A Levels without specifying in which
I end up getting AAAE in Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology respectively
So does my grades of AAAE satisfy the AAA offer from uni?

Also, another question is if university knows I'm doing 4 A Levels, will they deliberately make offers including 4 A Levels?
I know some really famous unis like Cambridge or Imperial will do that, but what about the others in general?

AAAE would meet an AAA offer. Basically, if you're given an offer for 3 grades (without specifying subject) and you do 4 only your best three grades will count. I don't know if any uni regularly gives offers including 4 A-levels (Oxbridge don't).

However, what unis do sometimes do is give you an offer of AAA including subjects x, y and z. This means that you have to get the grades in the ones they specify, and can only mess up in ones they don't mention. eg If you applied to physics they may say AAA including maths and physics. You'd have to get an A in maths and physics, but you could get lower in chemistry or biology.
Original post by sindyscape62
AAAE would meet an AAA offer. Basically, if you're given an offer for 3 grades (without specifying subject) and you do 4 only your best three grades will count. I don't know if any uni regularly gives offers including 4 A-levels (Oxbridge don't).

However, what unis do sometimes do is give you an offer of AAA including subjects x, y and z. This means that you have to get the grades in the ones they specify, and can only mess up in ones they don't mention. eg If you applied to physics they may say AAA including maths and physics. You'd have to get an A in maths and physics, but you could get lower in chemistry or biology.

Someone please help me. I am currrently doing 4 a levels at a2 and i want to drop one because i cant deal with the stress anymore. I am doing Biology, Maths, Chemistry and psychology. My predicted grades are B in bio and chem and A in maths and psychology. Im thinking of dropping either chemistry or psychology and i need advice on which one to drop. Chemistry is getting really hard and in my recent assessments ive been getting Cs whereas psychology have been A's what shall i do? Im thinking of doing optom at uni.
Original post by thefailurelife
Someone please help me. I am currrently doing 4 a levels at a2 and i want to drop one because i cant deal with the stress anymore. I am doing Biology, Maths, Chemistry and psychology. My predicted grades are B in bio and chem and A in maths and psychology. Im thinking of dropping either chemistry or psychology and i need advice on which one to drop. Chemistry is getting really hard and in my recent assessments ive been getting Cs whereas psychology have been A's what shall i do? Im thinking of doing optom at uni.

I would drop psychology. You're clearly not awful at chemistry, it's just a hard subject (IMO the hardest you can take). You'll be able to allocate more time to chemistry and get better results. Chemistry is also highly favoured by universities and employers because of its difficulty and applicability, psychology not so much.
Original post by TimGB
I would drop psychology. You're clearly not awful at chemistry, it's just a hard subject (IMO the hardest you can take). You'll be able to allocate more time to chemistry and get better results. Chemistry is also highly favoured by universities and employers because of its difficulty and applicability, psychology not so much.

But the thing is ive been getting cs i cant do anything if i come out with a C for optom i need AAB i feel like its a really big risk
Original post by thefailurelife
But the thing is ive been getting cs i cant do anything if i come out with a C for optom i need AAB i feel like its a really big risk

You'll have more time to work on it, so make sure you put extra time aside to study chemistry. If you really were bad at chemistry you'd be getting Es. Dropping Psychology may be much harder than dropping chemistry but it'll work out better for you long term.

Though to be honest, if I'm not convincing you to drop psychology then it seems you have subconsciously made up your mind - go with it.
Thank you :smile:

Are you sure Oxbridge don't ever give out 4 A Level offers? Or are you sure it's very rare? I would like to continue with 4 A2s but only to increase my chances of getting A*AA or above, because that would introduce one more chance to get the grade if you know what I mean. I have heard conflicting reports as to whether 4 grade offers are common - my head teacher seems to think so.
Original post by plklupu
Are you sure Oxbridge don't ever give out 4 A Level offers? Or are you sure it's very rare? I would like to continue with 4 A2s but only to increase my chances of getting A*AA or above, because that would introduce one more chance to get the grade if you know what I mean. I have heard conflicting reports as to whether 4 grade offers are common - my head teacher seems to think so.

Ask here

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4896414

and

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4103109
Original post by plklupu

I don't know if it's ever happened, but it'd certainly be an extremely non-standard offer and would be very rare.

Much more common would be for the offer to specify which subjects you needed the grades in - eg: someone taking chemistry, biology, physics and maths applying to physical natural sciences at Cambridge might be given an offer of A*A*A in chemistry, physics and maths. This wouldn't allow you to use the biology A level because they're essentially not counting it.

I wouldn't advise taking 4 A levels to increase your chance of getting 3 good grades because I don't think it would do that - it's more likely that the time spent doing the fourth subject will take away from the other three and decrease your overall marks. It should be reasonably simple at the end of AS to work out which subjects you're better at and are more likely to do well in. If you're worried about meeting the offer drop the one you're worst at, I think it'll give you a better chance rather than a worse one.
I don't know if it's ever happened, but it'd certainly be an extremely non-standard offer and would be very rare.

Much more common would be for the offer to specify which subjects you needed the grades in - eg: someone taking chemistry, biology, physics and maths applying to physical natural sciences at Cambridge might be given an offer of A*A*A in chemistry, physics and maths. This wouldn't allow you to use the biology A level because they're essentially not counting it.

I wouldn't advise taking 4 A levels to increase your chance of getting 3 good grades because I don't think it would do that - it's more likely that the time spent doing the fourth subject will take away from the other three and decrease your overall marks. It should be reasonably simple at the end of AS to work out which subjects you're better at and are more likely to do well in. If you're worried about meeting the offer drop the one you're worst at, I think it'll give you a better chance rather than a worse one.

I did read that just a 4th A2 won't help - they'd prefer someone well into the subject and able to talk about it, and I was told by an admissions tutor that dropping one A Level wouldn't impact my ability to make a competitive application - I have also been told that doing 4 would be beneficial, so I've got a few conflicting reports that I need to seriously think over. Thanks for your reply.
Original post by plklupu

Check each course. Earth science (Geology), offers A*AA or AAAA.
Original post by boffknight
Check each course. Earth science (Geology), offers A*AA or AAAA.

Thanks for your reply, though I must say my decision regarding 3 or 4 A2s was made a while ago! I imagine therefore if they list it for Geology, then such an offer is not possible in the subjects where it is not listed as a possible requirement. Good to know!
Reply 17
I do 4 Alevels. 3 in school ( maths, Econ and psychology) and I do Japanese outside. 4 offers gave me a conditional offer of getting AAB. And one gave me an offer saying ABB in any four of my alevels. For the other 4 Alevels does that mean Japanese which is taken outside of school is not taken into account?
Original post by HBannan$
I do 4 Alevels. 3 in school ( maths, Econ and psychology) and I do Japanese outside. 4 offers gave me a conditional offer of getting AAB. And one gave me an offer saying ABB in any four of my alevels. For the other 4 Alevels does that mean Japanese which is taken outside of school is not taken into account?

If they didn't specify subjects then you can meet your offer conditions using any of your pending A levels.
Reply 19
Original post by PQ
If they didn't specify subjects then you can meet your offer conditions using any of your pending A levels.

Really?? Thank youu!!!!! My heart sank when I asked the teacher and she said that only subjects taken in school is taken into account. I really don't have confidence in maths at all

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending