The Student Room Group
I will be 19 but studying A levels still so need to sort this out. Most will be stsrting with 18+ because they will be 19 or older
Original post by _Lizabeth_
So there's not a lot anywhere about this - is everyone starting uni this month with an 18+ card or a 16+?

On their terms and conditions it says you need to be 16 or 17 or:
aged 18 on the 31 August 2017,
in full time education (their educational establishment must confirm this) and,
Living in a London borough.

So is anyone here applying for a 16+?
I guess it'll only be for a year.

I'm applying for 16+ since they said you have to be 18 on the 31st of August, which I am.
Reply 3
So there's not a lot anywhere about this - is everyone starting uni this month with an 18+ card or a 16+?

So is anyone here applying for a 16+?
I guess it'll only be for a year.

Yes it is possible to have the 16+ card at 19 years old. As long as you are still in full time education you can still have it. If you are currently 18 soon 19 you can apply but you just have to reapply again and get it stamped by the uni. I personally did it (when I was in sixth form) and it saved me so much on public transport.
To be quite honest unless you are going to buy a travelcard I wouldn't bother getting an 18 + card (you'll get a student discount for a travelcard if you buy one with a 18+ card,) just the regular adult oyster. The prices for travelling on tube/bus/dlr with an 18+ card cost exactly the same as having an adult oyster card.

Hopefully that was of some help. They never make it straight forward nowadays.
You should be able to, I had a 16+ while I was 18 for a year however I had to move to the 18+ which doesn't give free travel btw when I turned 19.
Reply 5
Original post by Kravence
You should be able to, I had a 16+ while I was 18 for a year however I had to move to the 18+ which doesn't give free travel btw when I turned 19.

May I ask if during that year, when you had a 16+ even if you're 18. Were you in Uni or retaking A-Levels etc? I'm 18 and will attend uni in a couple of weeks and I don't know if I can still apply for a 16+ and if University counts as full time education.
Original post by Queries
May I ask if during that year, when you had a 16+ even if you're 18. Were you in Uni or retaking A-Levels etc? I'm 18 and will attend uni in a couple of weeks and I don't know if I can still apply for a 16+ and if University counts as full time education.

I was retaking but University still counts as full time education

Full-time education, for the purposes of free travel on buses and trams, means: a
minimum of 12 hours of guided learning per week - between 09:00 and 17:00 MondayFriday for a minimum of ten weeks, on further education courses at level 3 or below in a school sixth form, sixth form college, academy, further education college or other training provider.

Examples of level 3 courses are A Levels (AS/A2), vocational awards such as BTEC and NVQ qualifications at Level 3, and the International Baccalaureate. They also include apprenticeships and training courses funded by the Education and Skills Funding Agency provided the age criterion (18 or under on 31 August 2017) is met. The school, college or training provider will be able to confirm whether the course qualifies.

Does it?

Edit: Resolved.

So if I'm starting Univeristy in London and I'm still 18 can I get the 16 plus or better to go for the 18? Thanks
Original post by Anonymous
Full-time education, for the purposes of free travel on buses and trams, means: a
minimum of 12 hours of guided learning per week - between 09:00 and 17:00 MondayFriday for a minimum of ten weeks, on further education courses at level 3 or below in a school sixth form, sixth form college, academy, further education college or other training provider.

Examples of level 3 courses are A Levels (AS/A2), vocational awards such as BTEC and NVQ qualifications at Level 3, and the International Baccalaureate. They also include apprenticeships and training courses funded by the Education and Skills Funding Agency provided the age criterion (18 or under on 31 August 2017) is met. The school, college or training provider will be able to confirm whether the course qualifies.

Does it?

I was unaware of that requirement, it seems i'm apparently wrong
Reply 10

Right, thanks!
The 18+ only works on travelcards. I never bothered with one whilst at uni. I just added my railcard to my adult oyster and got a discount that way.
Do you know how to get the form
Reply 13
Original post by Ninaaah
Yes it is possible to have the 16+ card at 19 years old. As long as you are still in full time education you can still have it. If you are currently 18 soon 19 you can apply but you just have to reapply again and get it stamped by the uni. I personally did it (when I was in sixth form) and it saved me so much on public transport.
To be quite honest unless you are going to buy a travelcard I wouldn't bother getting an 18 + card (you'll get a student discount for a travelcard if you buy one with a 18+ card,) just the regular adult oyster. The prices for travelling on tube/bus/dlr with an 18+ card cost exactly the same as having an adult oyster card.

Hopefully that was of some help. They never make it straight forward nowadays.

Hiii I know this was said along time ago but does it still apply?? I turned 19 last month and wondered can I still use a 16+ oyster after my other one expires I'll be going to uni soon

Latest