The Student Room Group

English Lit and Lang vs English Literature

I want to study a bit of both for A-level so I have both skills, but is it worth it? Is Lit and Lang as well respected as just Lit? If you do either or both, please tell me pros and cons and what to consider before taking it :smile:

Context: predicted to getting 8's/A* in both so I'll hopefully not do too badly at A-levels either way

update i got 2 9's :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)
Please could somebody reply :smile:
I think English Lit is more well respected, and it's probably best to stick with just one pathway instead of both. If you're passionate about both though, combined might be good. :smile:
Original post by Rex Onocrotalus
I think English Lit is more well respected, and it's probably best to stick with just one pathway instead of both. If you're passionate about both though, combined might be good. :smile:

Why isn't Lit and Lang seen better, surely it shows you have more widespread knowledge?
Original post by CinnamonSmol
Why isn't Lit and Lang seen better, surely it shows you have more widespread knowledge?

English Literature is more reputable than English Language because 1) it is a traditional subject. Language is not. 2) English Language does not really teach you anything that is not taught in English Literature. The AQA website describes English Language as discovering linguistic frameworks and how these can be used to analyse language. English Literature touches on this as well. If you took both lit and lang you would basically be studying the same thing twice.

I would say you should only take English Language if you plan to do a creative writing degree. If you are thinking of taking the subject in order to impress top universities then pick English Literature.
Original post by constantine2016
English Literature is more reputable than English Language because 1) it is a traditional subject. Language is not. 2) English Language does not really teach you anything that is not taught in English Literature. The AQA website describes English Language as discovering linguistic frameworks and how these can be used to analyse language. English Literature touches on this as well. If you took both lit and lang you would basically be studying the same thing twice.

I would say you should only take English Language if you plan to do a creative writing degree. If you are thinking of taking the subject in order to impress top universities then pick English Literature.

Thank you, I'll definitely take your reply into consideration. Now I just need to have my taster day at my college so I can see for myself what it's like :smile: Can't rep you as I have already done on my other post but thanks for being super helpful :3
Original post by constantine2016

What if your school only offers Combined
Reply 7
Hi, I study both Language and Literature at A level. In my opinion, English Literature is much more widely renowned as well as respected. With language, you're picking up analytical skills but the work isn't as intense as in lit.

The two subjects are different, but the same knowledge can at times be applied across both. AQA language which is what I study, focusses a lot more on the social aspect of language. So why language changes due to new words forming, our growth in understanding, the movement of people etc. Alongside this you'll also find it is much more creative in terms of the exam and what you're able to produce.

Lit on the other hand involves intense analysis of books, poems, plays etc at A level. You've got to be able to consider other interpretations of the novel, factors which may have affected the writing of it, as well as sophisticated points to make that directly answer the question. Both are interesting yet challenging in their own way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was planning on taking English Language A Level as I wasn't a massive fan lit at GCSE. But after a taster session of lang I felt it wasn't for me. So went for English Literature thinking I wouldn't like it. And I love it. Would definitely recommend English Literature. At my college you could try a 5th subject for 2 weeks if you were unsure between 2 and then drop it after that time once you have decided so you can try both. Is that an option?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi - I would take lit if I were you. Unless you find Lang particularly interesting, Lit is much more respected by universities. Lit is 1) in my opinion, more interesting 2) Most of the universities you will be aiming for with those levels require you to have taken lit, whereas lit and lang combined may not count. Have a look at the uni websites, but I would take lit.

That being said, if language is your thing and you find it really really interesting, go for it. But if you're considering an English degree and you particularly want to take lang, I would take it as well as lit separately (as in 2 a levels) - because Lit alone is the essential one (+ it is also useful for history/law degree etc.)
Trust me English lit is more fun and is on the list of subjects that Universities prefer. English language unfortunately is not in that list.

Posted from TSR Mobile
what if you are a foreign student and decide to take lang and lit? Would it be acceptable and impressive for respected universities?
Original post by ms2000298
what if you are a foreign student and decide to take lang and lit? Would it be acceptable and impressive for respected universities?

hii I'm taking the combined course English Language and Literature and after doing some looking around, most RG uni's accept/consider Langi/Lit as facillitating so you should be fine :smile:
hii I'm taking the combined course English Language and Literature and after doing some looking around, most RG uni's accept/consider Langi/Lit as facillitating so you should be fine :smile:

thank you
I did both separately. I found both interesting and useful in different ways, and despite what others may tell you, there is little overlap. If I hadn't studied Lang, I wouldn't be doing my PhD in Linguistics at UCL - it introduces you to a whole new perspective and subject field :smile:
Everyone who has done Lit, that I know, has regretted it and wished they did lang lit. It's harder to get a passion for literature in my opinion. I got 2 9's at GCSE and decided to take Literature first and absolutely hated it. After 5 lessons, I switched to lang/lit and honestly prefer it so much more purely because of the texts that we do for lang lit compared to just lit are much easier to understand and also because the lessons aren't as gruelling.

update i got 2 9's :biggrin:

well done! Great result! :biggrin:
Original post by GradedStudent
Everyone who has done Lit, that I know, has regretted it and wished they did lang lit. It's harder to get a passion for literature in my opinion. I got 2 9's at GCSE and decided to take Literature first and absolutely hated it. After 5 lessons, I switched to lang/lit and honestly prefer it so much more purely because of the texts that we do for lang lit compared to just lit are much easier to understand and also because the lessons aren't as gruelling.

Since you do Lang/Lit like me, but did lit before: what are the differences between a lang/lit essay vs a lit essay in A-level?

Quick Reply

Latest