The Student Room Group

Do I keep doing English Lang/Lit A Level or switch?

Hi so I started college yesterday and have had two English lessons so far and have hated them both. I plan on continuing for at least another week before I decide whether to switch to straight language or literature but I've just been so bored - not sure if it's because I don't like my teacher or because I don't like the subject - help! So far we've just been doing introductory stuff so I don't think it will be like it is now but can someone explain their experience with the English lang/lit course please? My college does AQA for all English courses.

If I switch, do I do lit or lang? I take history and photography alongside it and my college says all English is considered facilitating but other people say language isn't - I want to go to a Russell Group so would doing only 1 facilitating subject damage which unis I might get into? I'm interested in film/media as a career.

Obviously I am still currently doing English lang/lit so don't bash me for hating it especially as I haven't properly started the course yet but please give advice. How do I stop being in the mindset of not liking the subject to prevent switching when I might deep down actually want to do it without knowing? I love both English subjects so much so I thought combined would be a better option but now I'm not sure. I loved English lit GCSE (I somehow got an 8/A*) but I do struggle to read as I'm dyslexic so I don't read often which discourages me from a level lit as there are a lot of texts to study but towards the end of GCSE I adored it. I love the language a level too as I like the idea of what you study for it. HELP!
Original post by xoxofearlessgirl
Hi so I started college yesterday and have had two English lessons so far and have hated them both. I plan on continuing for at least another week before I decide whether to switch to straight language or literature but I've just been so bored - not sure if it's because I don't like my teacher or because I don't like the subject - help! So far we've just been doing introductory stuff so I don't think it will be like it is now but can someone explain their experience with the English lang/lit course please? My college does AQA for all English courses.

If I switch, do I do lit or lang? I take history and photography alongside it and my college says all English is considered facilitating but other people say language isn't - I want to go to a Russell Group so would doing only 1 facilitating subject damage which unis I might get into? I'm interested in film/media as a career.

Obviously I am still currently doing English lang/lit so don't bash me for hating it especially as I haven't properly started the course yet but please give advice. How do I stop being in the mindset of not liking the subject to prevent switching when I might deep down actually want to do it without knowing? I love both English subjects so much so I thought combined would be a better option but now I'm not sure. I loved English lit GCSE (I somehow got an 8/A*) but I do struggle to read as I'm dyslexic so I don't read often which discourages me from a level lit as there are a lot of texts to study but towards the end of GCSE I adored it. I love the language a level too as I like the idea of what you study for it. HELP!

I would recommend English Language if you're interested in film/media as a career. Unfortunately it isn't facilitating and is definitely not as well regarded as English Literature but it would be more useful in the media industry than Literature.
Original post by joeyfrazier
I would recommend English Language if you're interested in film/media as a career. Unfortunately it isn't facilitating and is definitely not as well regarded as English Literature but it would be more useful in the media industry than Literature.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind!
Switch! Switch, while you still can!
I did AQA English Lang/Lit and it almost completely destroyed my love for English.
If you do end up switching, switch to English Lit, it's a lot easier and it's more focused on your analysis than the amount of terminology you know (like legit, the amount of terminology you need to learn and analyse for English Lang/Lit is insane - doable if you are committed but insane!). Also, it's traditionally reputable as a facilitating subject in comparison to English Lang/Lit.

There is also no way to avoid it, you are going to have to read if you study English, it's recommended to do so even in your spare time, and in English Lang/Lit you have to read across all forms; biographies, blogs, novels etc.
The books you read for either subject should be enjoyable though. I loved 'The Handmaid's Tale' by Margaret Atwood and 'Streetcar named Desire' by Tennessee Williams.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Ask-questions
Switch! Switch, while you still can!
I did AQA English Lang/Lit and it almost completely destroyed my love for English.
If you do end up switching, switch to English Lit, it's a lot easier and it's more focused on your analysis than the amount of terminology you know (like legit, the amount of terminology you need to learn and analyse for English Lang/Lit is insane - doable if you are committed but insane!). Also, it's traditionally reputable as a facilitating subject in comparison to English Lang/Lit.

There is also no way to avoid it, you are going to have to read if you study English, it's recommended to do so even in your spare time, and in English Lang/Lit you have to read across all forms; biographies, blogs, novels etc.
The books you read for either subject should be enjoyable though. I loved 'The Handmaid's Tale' by Margaret Atwood and 'Streetcar named Desire' by Tennessee Williams.

Thank you, I was originally considering straight lit but thought I might prefer combined and now I'm not so sure. I need to find out the texts for lit though. I'll give it another week and if I still hate it, I'll talk to the head of department to try and switch if it's possible as I don't want my timetable to completely change as I'm happy with the other classes I take.
Original post by xoxofearlessgirl
Thank you, I was originally considering straight lit but thought I might prefer combined and now I'm not so sure. I need to find out the texts for lit though. I'll give it another week and if I still hate it, I'll talk to the head of department to try and switch if it's possible as I don't want my timetable to completely change as I'm happy with the other classes I take.

That sounds like a plan. All the best!

Quick Reply

Latest