The Student Room Group

At what age are you considered a mature student?

Am I right in assuming 21 at the start of your first year?
19+
Reply 2
Original post by hannah00
19+

Surely not? People who take a gap year aren't mature students are they?
Original post by Ruby1997

I know that Cambridge defines it as 21+
Reply 4
Original post by Charliewiz
I know that Cambridge defines it as 21+

Thank you. That makes more sense! So even if you turn 21 in your first year - you won't be classed as mature as long as your 20 when the course begins?
My uni you're defined as a 'mature student' if you are 21+ on starting the 1st year of your course
Thank you. That makes more sense! So even if you turn 21 in your first year - you won't be classed as mature as long as your 20 when the course begins?

Yeah, i think you're right.
Reply 7
Original post by CTLevers
My uni you're defined as a 'mature student' if you are 21+ on starting the 1st year of your course

Awesome thank you!

Gap year students should still be 19
Reply 9
when you actually start to look like an older person
The government, UCAS and SFE all define mature students as anyone over the age of 21.
Universities will regard you as a mature student at 21 at start of your first term.

PS. 19 is not mature. 19 is still 'I think I know everything'.
Reply 12
I personally had to wait until I'm 21 ( March 2017 ) then I applied as a mature student.
Colleges do it as 19+, but for universities it's 21+.
Original post by returnmigrant
Universities will regard you as a mature student at 21 at start of your first term.

PS. 19 is not mature. 19 is still 'I think I know everything'.

Maturity depends on experience. A 25-year-old fresher who has never been humbled by academic discourse, or challenged at all, could be be significantly less mature than a 19-year-old second year.
21 or above at the start of your degree
Original post by Nerry
when you actually start to look like an older person

A lot of 18 year olds could pass for 35 or even 30 plus
Also I think even if you are 21 when you start university, if you have only just turned 21 (ie. during September or October that year) then you aren't classed as a mature student as you are in the same "school year" as people who are still 20.
A mature student is from aged 24 and upwards

Quick Reply

Latest